This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Guy

Hello everyone, glad to be part of the forum. I've been attracted to paganism for alittle while now though it's mainly been allot of research thus far and not so much putting things to practice just yet. The things that I show interest in are things related to Hermetic thought, Native American, and Celtic traditions. The first one mainly because I like how it seems to incorporate actual science and very interesting philosophical ideas. The other two mainly because of heritage as I have Irish, Cherokee, and some other European lineage.

While I show great interest in these I'll be honest that I'm kinda skeptical of deities and whether they actually exist. I kinda see them as different personifications of nature. Not to be disrespectful of those who perhaps see them as something more real. Just telling everyone where I personally am on my own journey.

I was raised as a Baptist Christian though later became none-denominational. My falling out of Christianity was bassicly taking issue with ideas such as Hell and actually taking the time to read the Bible myself. When I left that behind I didn't know what that made me.

I tried Agnostic but came to realize it only answered the question of knowing. Did I "know" whether or not gods exist? of course not. So in that regard I'm agnostic. Do I believe in gods? because I don't know coupled with the fact that I have yet to see evidence for one I'm Atheist (though I suppose I wouldn't mind the terms Deist or Pantheist).

Certain pagan ideas do resonate far better within me though and arnt necessarily stuff I take issue with. I wouldn't mind incorporating some of these ideas into my life. However, if you ask me things like,
    "why does the sun rise and set?"
    I'll tell you about planetary rotation and things of that nature.

To summarize it all...

I do like what Paganism is and I do feel my inner self is slowly and cautiously nudging me that direction. I just...don't wanna rush into things if that makes sense at all.

Re: The New Guy

Originally posted by mike96 View Post
    While I show great interest in these I'll be honest that I'm kinda skeptical of deities and whether they actually exist. I kinda see them as different personifications of nature. Not to be disrespectful of those who perhaps see them as something more real. Just telling everyone where I personally am on my own journey.
    I don't think anyone here would be offended; this place is a bit of a mixing pot of many different versions of spirituality and/or religion, and everyone is very tolerant of each other. It's a great place to explore and learn while figuring out what path you want for yourself.

Originally posted by mike96 View Post
    I do like what Paganism is and I do feel my inner self is slowly and cautiously nudging me that direction. I just...don't wanna rush into things if that makes sense at all.
    It makes a lot of sense and I think it's good to take your time and do your research and soul searching. If you have questions, feel free to ask. This forum has a lot of experience to offer!

Welcome
    I think you'll like it here!

Comment

I'm brand new here myself, but welcome.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome

Comment

Welcome to a fellow student of Hermes!

FYI - in Christianity, the concept we know of as "hell" is largely due to mistranslation. It wasn't until comparatively recently (John Edwards, early American preacher) that eternal damnation in burning fire became a standard threat.

Previously, those who rejected Yahweh were cursed with the absence of his company after death, or were left in the kind of Greek totally boring and dismal afterlife that everybody but heroes and great and outstanding shitheads experienced.

Jewish people don't have hell.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            FYI - in Christianity, the concept we know of as "hell" is largely due to mistranslation. It wasn't until comparatively recently (John Edwards, early American preacher) that eternal damnation in burning fire became a standard threat.

Previously, those who rejected Yahweh were cursed with the absence of his company after death, or were left in the kind of Greek totally boring and dismal afterlife that everybody but heroes and great and outstanding shitheads experienced.

Jewish people don't have hell.
            I understand Hell was never something the Jewish people really put forward. It's this idea of telling people there'll be consequences if they don't think and believe exactly as they do. As if thought, in of itself, really meant anything.

I'm the sort of person who believes a persons actions should have more precedence if one must really be judged.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Welcome, I'm new here too

Comment

Greetings and welcome.

Always nice when new folks contribute!

Comment

Working...
                  X