I'm Mentally Ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Mentally Ill

Just to let everybody know. Here a few things to know about me. Yes, I'm mentally ill. I got ADHD and Autism. I've been on those mental conditions by the age of 3. Don't be alarmed I'm stabled. Just to let you all know.

Re: I'm Mentally Ill

I don't think most of us would find those conditions alarming. Pretty sure you don't have to worry about this announcement changing the way we feel about you.

Comment

Major depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder are my claim to fame.

I don't view autism and ADHD as mental illnesses though. I guess because my own children have them...they seem perfectly normal to me. Perhaps atypical, but normal nonetheless.

Comment

As a kid, I was diagnosed with ADD, mild dyslexia, and some kind of auditory processing learning disability (can't remember what ever type of technical name they gave it; pretty much just means that I learn better with reading then by lectures). I don't like to think of it as any kind of disorder or illness though; I like to think of it as a different way of interacting and viewing the world then what is typical; not bad, just different.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickory67 View Post

I don't view autism and ADHD as mental illnesses though. I guess because my own children have them...they seem perfectly normal to me. Perhaps atypical, but normal nonetheless.
          I agree. Technically, autism and ADHD are classified as neurodevelopmental disorders rather than a mental illnesses. The reasoning behind it is that because they are something that cannot be brought on by outside factors, unlike many kinds of depression, OCD, and the like. Two of my brother's children have been diagnosed with mild autism, as has been my brother himself, and had it been a thing when I was growing up, I would have been classified as ADHD instead of just "being hyper and not applying myself".

Comment

Originally posted by Hickory67 View Post
            Weirdly, many of us here suffer from that same set of issues.

We tend not to be judgmental on psychological issues - so many of us have them , so we get it.

They suck, they hurt, one can't help being off-base at times, and so many people don't understand...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Weirdly, many of us here suffer from that same set of issues.

We tend not to be judgmental on psychological issues - so many of us have them , so we get it.

They suck, they hurt, one can't help being off-base at times, and so many people don't understand...
              Then I'm in the right place :-)

It's tough on my family, as they're at a loss as to how to help me when I'm in an episode. And it's frustrating for them because they can't understand unless they experience it - which I wouldn't wish on them. My daughter does get it - she has my anxiety along with Asperger's Syndrome. My poor wife though...I feel bad for her sometimes having to deal with me.

Comment

My wife and both daughters have anxiety issues.

When my wife and I were forced to face the reality that we have matching depression/anxiety problems we actually became a lot closer because we suddenly understood those things about us that irritated the other.

I can imagine how hard it would be for someone who hasn't experienced these things to understand them. I hope that the relationship between you and your wife is tight enough that she can be accepting, understanding, and comforting.

Best wishes!
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                  . Don't be alarmed I'm stabled.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	my_little___pony__by_huskie666.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	353068I coudn't resist ... Sorry ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

My husband and son have ADHD, plus the kiddos has anxiety and OCD and sensory processing disorder.

There is a strong genetic and developmental basis for most of these conditions. Genetically, anxiety and ADHD are pretty much the same... If you look at genetic studies of anxiety for example, the genetic difference is actually the same genetic difference that they find in ADHD, schizophrenia, and a few other conditions--these are all things that are genetic and then developmental and then environmental in origin (a while back I posted an article on the genetics...about a year ago or so).

....a neurological disorder is a disease state of the nervous system --Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, stroke, paralysis due to an accident, brain tumor, migraines, MS, epilepsy, mad cow disease. A mental disorder is that which arises as an abnormality of thoughts, feelings, or behavior that produces impairment or function (per the WHO). ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder, as is autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, Tourette syndrome, and schizophrenia. The problem, of course, is not in the terminology, but in general societal perception of the terminology...and in the modern medical medical field's arbitrary separation of behavior from the body (and by arbitrary, I mean the less used definition--that it has been chosen at an individual's discretion, not that it is random or capricious), which I think as led to the societal perception of mental illness (a term that I just really despise).

Not that any of this^ has anything to do with what I really wanted to say, which is that everyone is different. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, challenges, talents, quirks, etc. Those differences, whether it be how neurotypical one is or what gender one is or what political ideology one is, are what make us who we are as individuals and as a community. And what we are is pretty damn awesome.

And let's be honest...anyone that can't handle difference, whether it's difference of religion, or difference of opinion, or difference of personality doesn't last around here. Because (other that being different) we are all the same in the fact that we are one opinionated bunch of folks!!!😉
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Thal, but how is anxiety affected by the genes? I thought it's triggered by external series of events.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I went to public school for one year growing up. In that year it was the schools mission to get me diagnosed with ADD and get me on meds. The school told my mother II couldn't focus, and I told her I was justdisinterested, I'm still not sure who was right but I'm grateful I was never medicated. In my case in my late teens things just started to click on their own, now I'm a sponge for anything you put out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                          Thal, but how is anxiety affected by the genes? I thought it's triggered by external series of events.
                          I'm not Thalassa, but I'm channeling her:

There is a genetic predisposition. I may be dormant for a person's entire life, but it can be triggered by environmental factors (such as drug use, or, more subtly, but the food one eats or diseases one gets, or the chemicals one is exposed to), or life experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            I'm not Thalassa, but I'm channeling her:

There is a genetic predisposition. I may be dormant for a person's entire life, but it can be triggered by environmental factors (such as drug use, or, more subtly, but the food one eats or diseases one gets, or the chemicals one is exposed to), or life experiences.
                            Pretty much this... Also, anxiety has a likely epigentic predisposition too--the stress one's ancestors have affects their decendents in everything from anxiety to diabetes.

Discover satisfies everyday curiosity with relevant and approachable science news, feature articles, photos and more.

So,this is an article on the genetics of depression (i mistakenly said anxiety here, though anxiety still has a genetic component), adhd. Autism, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder:http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/science...ic-roots.shtml
                            Last edited by thalassa; 11 Oct 2015, 12:03.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I have an aversion to people with ADHD who do not have it controlled. It's akin to being around a meth addict who constantly shakes and prattles on. It makes me very uncomfortable. I'm bi polar and I think it's related to that. Having an iron fist on my emotions and symptoms, I get uncomfortable watching people out of control or overly animated. I think it reminds me of watching my mother. I mean I tolerate it if it's friends I know. But I usually withdraw into myself and become very silent. I'm not even a silent participant. I'm somewhere on the moon.

Anyone else get this way?

(and I don't mean to make this an insult about people with adhd. I I just realize that non acceptance is a part of my mental illness) Once you see your mother locked up in a mental hospital, you get really iffy around non sane acting people.
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                              X