Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RULES for the Debate Section: READ BEFORE POSTING!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important RULES for the Debate Section: READ BEFORE POSTING!!

RULES of the Debate Section:

(in addition to (or reiterating)
    existing forum rules)

1. Debate the post, not the person.
    2. Be polite and refrain from cursing or name calling.
    3. State your opinion as an opinion, not as fact.
    4. Support your opinions with facts.
    5. Source your facts with reputable soruces (and links where possible).
    6. Do not commit logical fallacies.
    7. Do not fulfill The Prophecy of Godwin (or other internet "laws").
    8. Avoid absolutist statements.
    9. No nitpicking.*
    10. If you feel like you need to get in the last word, don't.

*If a comment seems incindeary, ask for clarification first. If a fact is wrong, correct it without being a jerk. Everyone makes mistakes and typos and words things incorrectly at times. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

BANNED TOPICS:
    Ethics of eating meat
    abortion
    immunizations
    circumcision
    pedophiles
    politics*
    religion*

*these topics have their own DISCUSSION sections. Use them to DISCUSS the topics (and not to debate them).

Subject to change without warning from time to time, so check back before getting in a heated debate.

Last edited by MaskedOne; 10 Apr 2016, 16:45.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic
Working...
X