Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we found an advanced alien civilization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we found an advanced alien civilization?

There is a vague but slight chance that citizen astronomers have found evidence is a far away alien super-civilization. Chances are not extremely high, but appear to be worth investigating:

The Most Mysterious Star in Our Galaxy
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Have we found an advanced alien civilization?

Cool! It'd be great to find out what's going on there, whether it's caused by a life form or not.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

We can't even seem to find an advanced, intelligent civilization on this planet ...

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
        We can't even seem to find an advanced, intelligent civilization on this planet ...
        Only because they are too clever to get caught. They have developed an entire race of organic robots to do everything for them - I speak, of course, of Felis domesticus.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

How dare you point your finger at our precious cats...why the very idea that the kettihs could harbor evil is just....hmmm now that I think on it...you may have a valid point...hmmmmmm
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            How dare you point your finger at our precious cats...why the very idea that the kettihs could harbor evil is just....hmmm now that I think on it...you may have a valid point...hmmmmmm
            There is no evil in it. They have programmed their quasi-intelligent robots to love them, and find fulfillment in servicing their needs.

Comment

Felis domesticus, while certainly of alien origin, is far too bloodthirsty to plan an efficient takeover. Psittacus erithacus, on the other hand, is so cunning and brilliant that individuals must be kept caged and reasonably separate from one another to prevent a coup. There's a good reason the smartest of sci-fi aliens are depicted as "greys".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eddie1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	353078

"Come, I'll take you to your new leader. But first, give me a sunflower seed."
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                Felis domesticus, while certainly of alien origin, is far too bloodthirsty to plan an efficient takeover. Psittacus erithacus, on the other hand, is so cunning and brilliant that individuals must be kept caged and reasonably separate from one another to prevent a coup. There's a good reason the smartest of sci-fi aliens are depicted as "greys".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4394[/ATTACH]

"Come, I'll take you to your new leader. But first, give me a sunflower seed."
                Now it makes sense. That also explains the bitter rivalry between Felis domesticus and avians.

(I know that avians are still a bit angry about that evolution-thing that turned T-Rex into chickens)

Comment

T-Rex isn't smart enough to lead. Raptors, however, are another story! LOL

Seriously, I do wish we'd find solid evidence of life somewhere else. It'd be so cool. Not saying we have to have contact with them, but just proof of them.
                  sigpic

Comment

Stephen Hawking says we should continue to look for alien life, but not contact them. He believes that a civilization that can travel between stars is most likely to be aggressive because evolutionary pressure would tend to create competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      Stephen Hawking says we should continue to look for alien life, but not contact them. He believes that a civilization that can travel between stars is most likely to be aggressive because evolutionary pressure would tend to create competitors.
                      He might be a great physicist...but he's not know to be so great of a biologist. If anything technological advancment on this planet has been demonstrated to destroy competition.

Problem is, we don't know how evolution or life might look on other planets. I took the Astrobiology freebie course on coursera from the University of Edinburgh last year (maybe the year before), and was really interesting. If its free and you have a few weeks, I recommend it. But the gist is that while we might use Earth as the example that we know to make predictions about what other life may or may not look like, there is a limit to what those predictions might be. With a sample size of one, we basically have no clue what the trend might be.

I'd find it just as likely that technological advancment to that degree comes as a result of an ecological destruction that requires the restructuring of society than not--potentially leading to a society based upon cooperation and consensus and whose ethics are based on the preservation of biodiversity. Of course, in that case, maybe Hawking is right...humanity would be a great target for their ire.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        I'd find it just as likely that technological advancment to that degree comes as a result of an ecological destruction that requires the restructuring of society than not--potentially leading to a society based upon cooperation and consensus and whose ethics are based on the preservation of biodiversity. Of course, in that case, maybe Hawking is right...humanity would be a great target for their ire.
                        I think you saw the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still

Personally, I like to imagine that they would go all that way just to find out how other minds think. That's my personal bias, of course. It's what I'd do...

For fun: http://www.livescience.com/33997-7-h...ns-aliens.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          We're destroying Earth and now we want to send people to Mars, and we have a history of "conquering", so he's probably right.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hmmm,maybe there is a reason no one wants to be our neighbor...Oh Mr. Grey,is there a reason you guys stay hidden????(not 50 shades,just grey aliens)
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I tend to oppose opening comms with an interstellar society before we are one. Sure such a society might not be aggressive but if they are aggressive while humanity is largely dependent on one small, fragile blue marble then Earth could have issues.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X