• Show
Clear All

Re: Your Welsh warrior name

Myfanwy ap Madog Fawr

.____.

How you say it?
    What it mean?

P.S. still kind of giggling about how it looks a bit like 'fanny'
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

From now on we shall refer to you as "My Fanny."
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

And I am Cadwyn Ap Macsen Fawr!!
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
          Myfanwy ap Madog Fawr

.____.

How you say it?
          What it mean?

P.S. still kind of giggling about how it looks a bit like 'fanny'
          It means Myfanwy (a popular girl;s name) child of the great Madoc (Or big/tall/amazing Madoc).
          Pronounciation:

Muv-ann-wee ap Madok Vower (and roll the 'r' at the end.) Myfanwy is often shortened to Myfw (Muvoo) or Myfi (Muvee)

It is also the name of a very VERY famous and beautiful Welsh song which I urge you to listen to here:

Glorious!
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Mine is: Ceinwen Cadwaladr!!!!
            Awesome! I love these fun quizzes :^^:

I googled what they mean:
            - Ceinwen: Derived from the Welsh elements cain "lovely" and gwen "white, fair, blessed".
            - Cadwaladr: Means "leader of the battle" from Welsh cad "battle" and gwaladr "leader". This was the name of a Welsh saint of the 7th century.

So in translation, I think that means I'm:

Lovely Blessed Leader of the Battle!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
              While I do not consider myself A Welsh warrior my name would be, "Dafydd Frych". Can anyone tell me how that is pronounced?
              Davith (th like thee, not thanks) Frruch (ch like the Scottish loch--kind of a hard h)

Mine is Dwynwen ap Cadwaladr Fawr (Doinwen ap Cadwalader Vawr)
              She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

interesting ... Iago ab Idwal King of Gwynedd (950–979) ,,, Idwallon seems to mean "lord rule" ... Iago means "grasp by the heel" ... The meaning of the name “Iestyn” is: “Righteous, just, fair”...

Hywel ap Owain was the ancestor of Ynyr Gwent who ruled from Abergavenny c. 1065/1095. Idwallon ap Owain was the ancestor of Iestyn ap Gwrgan who ruled the western lands of Glamorgan from Dinas Powys near Cardiff during the same period. Caradog ap Gruffudd ap Rhydderch ap Iestyn was contemporary with those 11th century men, his 3rd cousins. ... Ah, but what is in a name ... Just a more defining way of saying "Hey you there" ...

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Iago - and grasp by the heel - is because it is the Latin equivalent of James/Jacob, who was the second born twin (the first born was Esau) and pulled out by the heel at birth.
                  Something went amiss with the post there, Magusphredde - had to highlight it to read it.

Comment

Interesting how many countries had multiple kings and small kingdoms before they had national kings ... I wonder how small some of those olde kingdoms were ...
                    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusphredde View Post
                      Interesting how many countries had multiple kings and small kingdoms before they had national kings ... I wonder how small some of those olde kingdoms were ...
                      ??? Kings ruled over small areas, yes. But each area was seen as a kingdom rather than a country. So a King of Wales came later than a kingdom of, say, Gwynedd. Or Morgannwg.
                      Back in the day, when communications were difficult, too large a kingdom was a liability. Small kingdoms became tightly knit homelands, better able to fight their neighbours

Comment

If id known I was Gwrtheyrn ap Maelgwn Fawr back in 1976 I would've ruled Treharris from my palace in Fell Street.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff View Post
                          If id known I was Gwrtheyrn ap Maelgwn Fawr back in 1976 I would've ruled Treharris from my palace in Fell Street.
                          Exactly! Wouldn't we all!

Comment

Nona ap Brochwel
                            Was hoping it may translate to something in English as a lot of names do, but according to online translators, apparently not

Comment

Cadwyn ap Cynwrig Fawr

Although Maiden name: Nerys Mathau

Comment

Idwal Maelor
                                I don`t know if it`s correct but I searched on google and Idwal means something like "Lord of the wall" and Maelor is a border area between Wales and England, so I think the name is self explanatory now

Comment

Working...
                                X