X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human Sacrifice?

I know this is probably one in which some go,
    "ugghhh this again..."

But it's something I'm genuinely wanting to get to the bottom of. I've expressed my interest in paganism and learning more about it and getting at the truth of what any number of pagan paths actually taught as well endorsed. I think it's important to note that I'm not coming from a heart of trying to attack or undermine it. Just trying to get at the truth is all.

I'm the sorta person that if I want to learn about specific religions I go to the actual people who practice it. For example, if I wanted to know more about Hinduism I'd probably more likely refer to actual Hindu sources as to what they actually believe. like wise what I'm trying to do now.

That being said...

I've come across sites that try and paint this picture that ALL pagans (at least of old) practiced human sacrifice or at least at one point did. How would many of you respond to those sorts of accusations?

I don't doubt perhaps there were some that did but to say all did?

Re: Human Sacrifice?

Originally posted by mike96 View Post
    I've come across sites that try and paint this picture that ALL pagans (at least of old) practiced human sacrifice or at least at one point did. How would many of you respond to those sorts of accusations?
    It is probably close to true.

There is no such thing as "all" when talking about that much variety, but this most likely was very common. All the groups I know of did, at some time or another.

The way I respond to it is this: "I don't do that, and the people I know don't."

You know that there are things that Christians once did that they no longer do. Things change.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Most ancient cultures practiced human sacrifice at some point in their history. And in those cultures, religion was an integrated daily part of life...sacrifice wasn't abhorrent (neither was slavery, misogyny, etc). Judging an ancient culture on the basis of modern morality is ethnocentrism. But, if the sauce is good for the goose, which is worse: killing a few prisoners or volunteers to stave off famine and disease, or sending thousands to their death for the glory of Christ? IMO the Crusades were human sacrifice too...
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

While the truth of the numbers, actual participants and such is still in doubt the Children's Crusade of approx 1212 probably strikes right on the nose of a sacrifice.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Read Procopius Gothic Wars - the Christians occasionally practised human sacrifices too.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by mike96 View Post

I don't doubt perhaps there were some that did but to say all did?
            So did the ancient Christians.

Historically speaking, most ancient cultures, pagan or otherwise, practiced some form of human sacrifice. But that's not the same as 'All pagans practiced human sacrifice' (or no non-pagans practiced human sacrifice).

Which is completely irrelevant to the judging of modern pagan (or otherwise) practices. A great many ancient cultures practiced slavery... doesn't mean that modern people who draw inspiration from those cultures practice or condone it.

Comment

Sumer practiced ritual sacrifice but historically not human sacrifice. I remember one other civilization that didn't practice human sacrifice but can't remember the name.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Various religions often seem a bit obsessed with sacrifice...

Christianity has a savior that sacrificed himself on a cross.

I've never been Catholic, but a friend told me once that they believe they are literally drinking Christ's blood and eating his flesh during communion, though perhaps she was just being over dramatic. I think it's supposed to at least symbolize that though...

OH! Just googled this (John 6:53-55):

It just strikes me as being super human sacrifice like.

The sacrificed god, or dying god is a common theme in religion. The Golden Bough, by Sir James George Frazer, is a good book to read about this subject. I think you can down load it for free off project gutenberg or some similar site.

Comment

ok ... who brought the ketchup?
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Christians definitely practiced/practice human sacrifice. Many Christians would bring it back if they could.

If purging by killing those in the community/region deemed to anger god in order to appease god isn't human sacrifice (crusades; witch hunts of Britain and America, child witch accusations in Africa to this very day) then what is? If you kill a person to make god happy, that is human sacrifice.

The accusation against Africa is seen by many as extreme because they are "not really Christian" for mixing witchcraft with Christianity, but many conservative Americans believe the death penalty applied to the most grievously non-Christian (homosexuals and 'devil-worshippers') would make America great again because it would garner God's favour. This is human sacrifice plain and simple.
                    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                    But that day you know I left my money
                    And I thought of you only
                    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I wonder how many gods we could appease if we sacrificed Westboro ???
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I still can't understand why a deity who is THE SHIZNIT Of the entire free and non free universe needs some thing to die for it. Sacrifice, to me, is a desperate bid to get out of the deep poo poo you put yourself in.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

In the interests of not seeing this thread attract negative administrative attention, can I remind peeps that this is NOT a discussion or debate about human sacrifice. It's about how modern pagans respond to the accusation that historical pagans practiced human sacrifice.

I can guarantee you that if you get off track, this thread will die.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                            In the interests of not seeing this thread attract negative administrative attention, can I remind peeps that this is NOT a discussion or debate about human sacrifice. It's about how modern pagans respond to the accusation that historical pagans practiced human sacrifice.

I can guarantee you that if you get off track, this thread will die.
                            You are right. My ancestors practiced human sacrifice. How do I feel about it? Meh. Apparently everyone was doing it. It seemed to be all the rage.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I would understand why some people got sacrificed back in the way way way back,if they were anything like some now who just seem to scream "I am a waste of flesh" (if you have to ask who,it might just be you)
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X