The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: Atheism and Nihilism

When it comes to feelings, if you feel them they are as real as real gets.

(Captain Obvious has left the building...)
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Singularitarian
    Phrase
    If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    1. do you believe in anything supernatural (ghosts, spirits, magic, etc)?
    2. do you consider yourself a nihilist?
    3. do you think that atheism and nihilism are similar? Explain.
    4. do you think that atheism leads to nihilism?
    1: No. I can conceive of mysterious and seemingly magical phenomena, but I do not believe that they are beyond or above explanation.
    2: Not really. I believe that subjective meaning has value and is in its own way real, just not physical or independent of consciousness. In other words, I reject irreality as a concept. If you can conceive of something then that thing exists, even if only briefly and as an abstraction.
    3-4: I could see how one could lead to the other, through skepticism, but one does not necessitate the other.
    Last edited by Denarius; 16 Oct 2015 at 10:00. Reason: Put sentence in the wrong place.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Copper Member
    Apr 2014
    Religion
    That one where I can play with live snakes and speak gibberish.

I never said feelings were not real. But, we do know the mechanisms behind them.

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Asatruar
    Phrase
    Come join the murder, Come fly with black, We'll give you freedom, From the human trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    but you feel them. So to you they real for you. I know we want to pretend we are all logic. The fact we don't stick our feet over the edge of the bed at night tells me different.
    I actually find my feet hanging over the edge more comfortable, does that make me a moral deviant?
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    I actually find my feet hanging over the edge more comfortable, does that make me a moral deviant?
    That or demons are your friends.

(backs away slowly)
    Satan is my spirit animal

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

I always start off going to sleep with my feet over the edge of the bed. I don't have any fear of demons but I never thought that having one's feet over the edge would attract them. As a youth I slept in a bunk bed. Sometimes on top sometimes on the bottom. The only demon I ever worried about was my dad. He wasn't a demon but he was a strict disciplinarian.

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Experience and Insight

Firstly, let's agree on some terms. These are definitions I generated from Google.
    ATHEISM: lack of belief in god(s)
    NIHILISM:(since there is a philosophy as well as a historical movement, let's stick with the philosophy) rejection of religious and moral principle, extreme skepticism that suggests that nothing in the world is real or meaningful
    If you haven't already, I suggest giving a read through of nihil.org. It explains nihilism as no inherent meaning, we give things meaning, and the concepts of Choice and Consequence, a nihilist perspective of karma if you will - you make a choice, deal with the consequences, basically. With no inherent meaning, it doesn't mean a nihilist rejects religious and moral principle, but seeks the truth for themselves. A Christian can be a nihilist if they reject the idea that God means follow the bible or burn in hell and keeps to the teachings of being kind, because the consequence of the choice of kindness is usually others being kind to you. A nihilist is not a sociopath nor atheist nor against the idea of realism but defines morality and religious ideals as it works best for them on a practical level.

IF YOU ARE ALSO A NIHILIST...

1. do you think that the meaninglessness of life is actually a bad thing?
    Not at all. I can put meaning into my life upon my choices through experience. For example, if I experience allopathic medicine as harmful to my body it is not because my anarchist associates tell me so but because I have been, or know others, that have been damaged or screwed over by the allopathic system. "What is true for you is true for you, and when you have lost that, you have lost everything" is a phrase my mom would always tell me when I was young and doubted myself (from L Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology). That phrase is very powerful to me, not only because I was brought up with it, but because it allows one to be oneself no matter what others say is right or wrong, taboo or status quo. I have noticed a lot of the most pure spiritual teachings have a hint of nihilism. Buddhism is basically nihilism with a pinch of unconditional love and compassion.

2. do you feel like you 'reject moral principle?' Explain
    Not at all. Morality has served me well in life. Without my morality I would be a very bad person associating with very bad people in very bad situations (which I used to do - drugs, violence, things of that sort), but because I have developed a deeper appreciation for loving kindness and compassion (for the most part, I am still a bit narcissistic at times, as everyone should be if they want to live a happy and balanced life), I live a happy life with a decent job and good friends.

3. was nihilism something you decided upon, or had you always thought similarly and simply discovered that the shoe fit, so to speak?
    It just kind of fit. Before I rejected the idea of myself being nihilistic when I thought it just meant not caring about anything and nothing having meaning because it just felt apathetic and pathetic, so I tried on Anarchist and Satanist, but anarchism was too unreal for me and Satanism lacked the spiritual core I was looking for. It was actually the practice of chaos magic that led me to the labeling myself a nihilist. Nihilism has the rebellion, individuality, and revolutionary qualities of anarchism, the dark mystique of Satanism, the philosophical qualities of chaos magic, and the intellectual pursuit of Luciferianism.

4. do you think nihilism is simply intense skepticism, or do you believe that it is the belief in nothing?
    Intense sceptism. Nihilism is about discovering truth for you that is grounded in reality. That reality doesn't have to be scientific, but it has to be grounded in some sort of practicality.