Candles And Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candles And Colors

I know that candles play a big part of magic. What does the colors of the candles mean.

Re: Candles And Colors

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I know that candles play a big part of magic. What does the colors of the candles mean.
    My own personal opinion is that contrary to the many 101 books there is no set color correlation as many times it is driven by ones pathway or practice. So what a color means to one group may not have the same purpose or correlation with another group. Consider usually black is equated to death yet in some places red is death i've also seen brown used for death as it equates to the dead in the bosom of the earth and chthonic.

I'd also say that candles are not specifically a big part of magic either. Some practices use them, some do not, it is up to the way each works. Not only that but also which type of candles are used varies from practice to practice. Some use the long tapered ones, some use the circular ones that are short, some use the large ones like you find in Catholic churches. Even the material that is used may vary I've used honey comb when I can get it for instance. I dislike the heavier oil based candles as they produce a lot of soot at time so you have to research all of that as well.

- - - Updated - - -

To give you another though to ponder.

For many black is evil, death, decay, etc yet for others Black is the completed result. Why because black is the presence of all colors of the spectrum merged to form a complete union. The same applies to white in that for many white is purity and purification yet to some it is the veil in that it is nothing. it's not good, it's not bad it's simply nothing and marks the absence of all things. So it could be argued that white is not purity as much as it is simply the absence of everything and has taken nothing into itself yet.

Lots of things to consider when using sympathy magics via candles.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

With candles the important color is at the top. If it is yellow, with a small bit of red and blue at the base of the top then it is hot. Dressing candles is also important, I've heard. I don't know if a Barbie or Ken outfit would be appropriate for god and goddess candles but it might work.

To be a bit more serious and on topic, The color of a candle is used more for the practitioner than for the spirits. It is easier to remember that the silver candle represents the goddess and the gold candle represents the god so you don't get confused as you are lighting and snuffing candles in ritual. On my altar the placement is more important than the color, as long as I can remember that the goddess candle is north west of the altar stone and the god candle is northeast of it. But then you have the ancestor candle and the altar candle and the quarter candles and then the relationship candle and... oh well you get the idea. the amount of candles and the color you choose should never effect the CO2 levels in your ritual space.
      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

A color means whatever you feel it does. If you see black as a negative color, then that's what it means when you use it. You can go and check out what various books and websites say, or can just coast around a bit and figure out what they mean to you.

As an aside, BMH, many of the questions you've been posing lately are things that can be easily answered with the use of a simple Google search, or a trip to your local bookstore and a perusal of the New Age section. It may be better for you and your inquiries if you would do said search, rather than making a thread and having to wait for others to reply. If something is on your mind and you want to delve into it immediately, you would be better served by getting an answer immediately rather than practicing patience. If then, after you feel you've exhausted the info that you've dug up that way and still have questions, feel free to jump in and ask away. It's a lot easier for folks to be able to reply to specific questions rather than super generic ones. There's a big difference between "Hey, how do colors work?" and "I read that X color is often said to mean Y. But for me, it feels more like Z. What do you guys think or what experiences have you had with them?"

Comment

I think colour is like a lot of accessories in magic ... It makes it easier for a person to concentrate and keep focus ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

When I do use candles (which is not always) I use simple white tea lights, Bartmanhomer. That's all. Plain, simple and cheap. My imagination and focus are such that I don't need the colours before me. It's the intention and will that make magic, not dye in a candle.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
            X