Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reality of gods vs reality of experience

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
    Thinking on this again, it would probably come back to how the Divine was defined. Say for instance if the Divine were a force or a person. Back to square one.

I'm so tired I feel like I'm talking to myself... MO did warn me to leave my sanity at the door when I joined...
    One of these days, people will stop trying to hold onto their sanity around here...
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      One of these days, people will stop trying to hold onto their sanity around here...
      What is this... "sanity"... you speak of?

Comment

I must state that from my perspective that I do not see the gods or goddesses in a human form but rather as a more abstract form.
        So my question to those that see the gods as actual human forms with the characteristic's embodied to them in the mythology given to us from the past, is what happened in the transition to Christianity? Why did all the gods and goddesses bow out and apparently give up on influencing humans (at least in making their presence be known)? Why didn't they stand up to the invasion of the Jewish God. Many apparently disappeared forever from our knowledge so do they still exist? This is what make a reality presentation hard for me. If Thor was as powerful as myth says why didn't he stop the almost complete loss of his following and if Eostre (Oestre, Oestra, Ostara) exists in some reality why do we have almost no knowledge of her (or at least I don't). Now we look for them and the exist again or so it seems. Any help in explanation of this perspective would be appreciated.

Comment

Could it be that the gods care not what name they are called so long as their influence is called for?
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
            Could it be that the gods care not what name they are called so long as their influence is called for?
            I am not sure I understand your answer. Which god or goddess is going to answer or are you saying there is really only one god goddess that answers to any name?

Comment

Originally posted by sionnach View Post
              I am not sure I understand your answer. Which god or goddess is going to answer or are you saying there is really only one god goddess that answers to any name?
              It was a question, not an answer. I believe in a multiplicity of deity, personally but I won't limit any one of them. If you call out a need does it matter which one answers?
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by sionnach View Post
                I must state that from my perspective that I do not see the gods or goddesses in a human form but rather as a more abstract form.
                So my question to those that see the gods as actual human forms with the characteristic's embodied to them in the mythology given to us from the past, is what happened in the transition to Christianity? Why did all the gods and goddesses bow out and apparently give up on influencing humans (at least in making their presence be known)?
                I'm not too sure on your question because at first it seems as though you are stating that some believe the gods are humans of history being given divine characteristics through mythology. However, then you query why these historical figures aren't asserting their territory.

I know I must be misunderstanding you, but I'm not sure where.

Comment

I'm a naturalist so I go on what I can observe. I have never observed a god.
                  Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                  Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                  And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                  Genesis lyric

Comment

Working...
                  X