Angel Altar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angel Altar

I just discovered that my guardian is Archangel Gabriel. What are good things I could offer him on his altar?

Re: Angel Altar

Well, if I recall my Christian mythology, Gabriel is the messenger. It was he who appeared before Mary to foretell the coming of Jesus. So I would think that anything pertaining to missives and communication would be good. Prayers to him written and sealed within an envelope, stamps, things of that nature.

Comment

Thanks Muin (:

Comment

Make sure you have correct postage ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Not to be an arse here but with Gabriel being the messenger perhaps your loosing the purpose of his message by focusing upon the messenger. Seldom does one hear of any of the archangels being guardians for they are messengers though the content of the message often aligns with their sphere of influence. Could make for one heck of a hurt if your supposed to be doing something but don't because your to busy honoring and praising the messenger even as you ignore what he brought to you.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Out of sheer curiosity, how do you get an Abrahamic religious character thrown in with your belief system?
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The OTO and other pagan mystery traditions call on the Archangels. The lesser and greater banishing ritual of the pentagram is one common place the angels are used. Another in other traditions call the watchtowers by the names of the angels. The names probably precede the monotheistic evolution of the Jewish faith.
              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                The OTO and other pagan mystery traditions call on the Archangels. The lesser and greater banishing ritual of the pentagram is one common place the angels are used. Another in other traditions call the watchtowers by the names of the angels. The names probably precede the monotheistic evolution of the Jewish faith.
                The OTO and similar organisations borrowed the rituals from earlier organisations like the HOGD... who were Christian mystics and ceremonial magicians, hence the invoking of Archangels.

Comment

Medusa:
                  To be honest, Medusa, I didn't throw that religion into my Wicca faith. I knew I could see Archangels and angels in general as a more neutral energy rather than belonging to either Abrahamic or Christian.
                  monsno_leedra:
                  There is NO right way or wrong way in how we view Archangels. I want guidance. Not judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinOdinsson View Post
                    Medusa:
                    To be honest, Medusa, I didn't throw that religion into my Wicca faith. I knew I could see Archangels and angels in general as a more neutral energy rather than belonging to either Abrahamic or Christian.
                    monsno_leedra:
                    There is NO right way or wrong way in how we view Archangels. I want guidance. Not judgement.
                    No judgement given. I just said perhaps you need to consider it. Sort of like dealing with guides just because you see an animal doesn't mean it's anything more than simply being an animal even though there might be a message there for you.

Either way i'll bow out of this conversation as my gut say you don't want guidance you want confirmation.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Medusa:
                      monsno_leedra:
                      He wasn't judging in the post you're responding to. He was potentially off-topic but he was offering a potentially valid theory to consider depending on what your experiences with Gabriel are (some experiences might explicitly exclude his theory, others might not).

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      Either way i'll bow out of this conversation as my gut say you don't want guidance you want confirmation.
                      Uninvited psycho-analysis has a tendency to result in flame pits followed by my very vocal intervention. Most of your commentary here, I don't have any spectacular issue with but the quoted section just serves to try and provoke tempers which generally ends in my aforementioned intervention. Can we try to avoid taking predictable routes of summoning admin wrath?

and I'm going to remind both of you before anyone goes looking for a particularly witty rejoinder that the common end result of attempting to have the last word in a debate for the sake of having the last word is that I get bored and take the last word for myself. Let's talk about angels instead of each other, shall we?
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I just discovered that my guardian is Archangel Gabriel. What are good things I could offer him on his altar?
                        I'm sure you could get a nice Gabriel statue for cheap at Goodwill, if you wanted; I've seen a lot of angel statues with horns there that would work nicely. Just a horn or a trumpet might work too, or an image of one. As for things to offer, maybe books? It seems to me that I've heard him referred to as the angel of wisdom before. I think jade is supposed to be a good wisdom type gem stone. Maybe sheet music for a trumpet/horn? Wings or feathers of some type might also work good as he's supposed to be a messenger and that makes his wings especially important as compared to other angels.

Actually, he's kind of making me think of Hermes now, being a messenger of God and all :^^:

Comment

Gabriel is my Guardian Angel according to my Western Zodiac, so I have a lot of love for her emanation. Upon my Angel side of my altar I have a threefold stained glass motif with Joseph and Mary in the middle holding baby Hey Zeus, with an archangel in prayer on either side. In front of my motif is a statue of Mother Mary and Holy Water I bought from a Mission in my home town, and two white archangel votive candles on either side. Above the altar are the 72 Names of God in Hebrew with a Franciscan Rosary handmade by Nuns circling the Names. Basically, Mary is known as the Queen of Angels, the Franciscan Rosary prays the Seven Joys of Mary, the 72 Names of God represent the 72 Powers of God (which are angels), and it was Gabriel that announced to Mary that she would give birth to Hey Zeus.

If I was going to dedicate my altar further to Gabriel, I would place a statue of an angel playing a trumpet, a solar cross (a circle with an equilateral cross in the middle, also the sign for Earth) to represent Gabriel's association with being a Gatekeeper (s/he is the Angel of the Moon in Qabalah), and maybe a Chalice with an offering of wine or grape juice to represent communion and Gabriel's association with water (which is the element of the Moon).

Study of the Qabalah is a great way to find further associations that could be of benefit, but it is a very arduous process to get all the minor details. I have a love/hate relationship with the Qabalah, to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                          X