Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parental Revelation

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    Yah, dumb supper as in no talking, like how they used to refer to folks who were mute as "dumb". http://www.festivology.com/major/hal...mb-supper.html

My brother totally gets it, as he's a bit of a "closet pagan" himself, and is in fact the person who got me interested in it from the start. My other brother followed in the family footsteps of Roman Catholicism, though he does have some more open ideas about things.
    Awe... what you said before makes more sense now. Sorry! I had seen your post about it in another thread so I knew what you were talking about, but I didn't make the connection between silent and dumb.

It still sounds like a really neat idea though. Your parents should give it a try just for fun!

Comment

My immediate family knows I'm into some serious spiritualism of some type, but I've only stated openly that I'm pagan to my eldest two. Really for no other reason than we just don't talk religion that much - my wife and I haven't been in a church since we christened our eldest son 18 years ago. The talk is coming though, as I've pretty much settled into my beliefs at this point.

I don't think my wife will have that much heartburn with it. She teaches biology and environmental science, so she leans more toward evolutionary thought. Has the occasional guilt for not going to church on Easter, but she gets over it quickly. My main concern with her is that she'll think of it as a symptom of my mental health issues - which of course it's not. I didn't decide to be a pagan yesterday.

My son is pretty much agnostic if not atheist. He has to see it to believe it. Chuckles at my divination hijinks...though intrigued when it's accurate. Same with the wife.

My eldest daughter is all for it - she wants to be on the path eventually (too busy with her social life to buckle down).

My only living parent is my biological mother - we don't talk regularly on the phone, but oddly enough she refers to me as "my Thor" on Facebook (my sisters are her "goddesses"), so that'll be easy. My (adopted) brother speaks to our passed ancestors pretty regularly...that's easy too.

Then there's the rest of the family...all my Seventh Day Adventist cousins will disown me after they fail in the attempt to gang-save me. Kinda sucks because I just reconnected with them last year, but at the end of the day I am what I am, and don't require their approval.

Comment

Hickory, feel free to have your family over to the boards to visit! Over the years we've had a number of spouses, partners, etc come over to ask questions about different people's beliefs, so they could get a better idea of the diverse range of beliefs and practices that Pagans have.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Yup ... Pagans in general are happy when people ask honest questions ... We just don't volunteer info that much ...
          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Hickory, feel free to have your family over to the boards to visit! Over the years we've had a number of spouses, partners, etc come over to ask questions about different people's beliefs, so they could get a better idea of the diverse range of beliefs and practices that Pagans have.
            Great idea, Thalassa! Thanks for that - I hadn't thought of it before but may take you up on that.

I had a coworker come back from an extended training course today. He and I have had many philosophical conversations and, having served with him a number of years, beginning in a our Marine Corps days, I felt pretty comfortable letting him know what I've really been up to the last couple. He didn't seem surprised, but did surprise me - despite having grown up strictly Catholic, he shares my esoteric views and is even into divination as I am - he's a Rune and Tarot reader himself. I never would have guessed. He had me pegged long ago when I started with pendulum dowsing.

As for my family, I had a conversation with my son right after my last post, and asked him outright what his beliefs are. He is agnostic at best, but leans toward atheist. He recommended I take my time addressing with his mom, stating she would indeed lean heavily toward the mental health concern.

That said, I did have an opportunity to discuss beliefs with her and my younger daughter a couple of days ago. It stemmed from my daughter commenting on her thoughts about the afterlife. I was able to share my beliefs in a general sense, without coming right out and stating I'm a full-on pagan. Both seemed interested by the points I made - no alarm at all.

So, I think the conversation may be sooner in the offing than I expected.

Comment

Also...not sure how close you are, but the Northern Virginia Pagan Network might be in your area--we hung out with some of them years ago at a Pagan Festival (two of the founders of NVPN also run Potomac Circle Ministries, which is affiliated with Circle Sanctuary.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                Also...not sure how close you are, but the Northern Virginia Pagan Network might be in your area--we hung out with some of them years ago at a Pagan Festival (two of the founders of NVPN also run Potomac Circle Ministries, which is affiliated with Circle Sanctuary.
                I work in NoVA - Quantico - so I'm there daily. I do have a meetup group here in MD, but I'll check the VA group out as well. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X