Cannibalism and Magic in Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannibalism and Magic in Christianity

I was raised Roman Catholic, and all through that time there were a few things that I never really quite understood, no matter who I asked or how hard I listened during sermons and Sunday School. Interestingly, the two biggest things sort of went hand in hand.

Let's assume that we agree that the definition of cannibalism is the act of eating the flesh of a being that is the same as the ones doing the eating. Let us also assume that we agree that Jesus, before the time of his death and Resurrection was, despite his divine father, was human. During the Last Supper, we were taught (and are reminded of each week at mass) that Jesus stood before his Apostles and said (to paraphrase) "here's my blood, here's my flesh, take a sip and take a bite", then passed around bread and wine.

Now, one of the things that is part of the Roman Catholic sect is that there is a belief in the practice of transubstantiation. Basically, this is the belief that the bread and wine, once blessed, in actuality becomes the flesh and blood of Jesus, even though the appearance of bread and wine remains. In magical terms, that would be considered transmutation, the creation of one thing out of another.

Put those two things together, and when stated in a way that is not referencing any specific religion, you have the following: A respected member of the community, possessing of magical powers, transforms mere food and drink into the actual flesh and blood of the human child of their deity. Then, the gathered people eat and drink of the physical body of said son, in an act of ritualized cannibalism.

So what is the actual difference between magic and miracle, and cannibalism and taking part of the Holy Communion ritual?

Re: Cannibalism and Magic in Christianity

Symbolism, metaphor vs. actuality.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Well, sure. But what's the purpose? I've never been able to suss out the actual meaning of the cannibalism either. The words don't really go a long way to explain it. "Eat this, for this is my body, which has been given up for you."

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Should have added this. But that's the thing. Transubstantiation means that it is reality, not metaphor.

Comment

Jesus words were intended to mean that if you believe in his divinity ( eat his flesh) and his sacrifice for your sins (drink of his blood) then you will be saved ... These acts are symbolic of faith ... you don't really have to partake in bar-b-que Jesus on a bun
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusphredde View Post
          Jesus words were intended to mean that if you believe in his divinity ( eat his flesh) and his sacrifice for your sins (drink of his blood) then you will be saved ... These acts are symbolic of faith ......
          Again, though. It's not purely symbolic, as it is believed that you are eating and drinking the physical body and blood. I get the symbolism of it. I don't understand why it's not left to BE symbolic, and instead is the use of "miracle" or magic to become reality.

Comment

If you consider the tribal idea of eating your enemy in order to obtain the courage and warrior spirit it might seem that what you are talking about is kind of consuming the body and spirit to obtain the purity and divinity of Jesus kinda.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I was taught in Catholic primary school that it was symbolic, not reality. That we were partaking of the essence of Jesus in order to strengthen our faith and connection with God.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                Again, though. It's not purely symbolic, as it is believed that you are eating and drinking the physical body and blood. I get the symbolism of it. I don't understand why it's not left to BE symbolic, and instead is the use of "miracle" or magic to become reality.
                I would LOVE to know what Christian faith believes that they are really eating his body and drinking his blood ... Yes, it is symbolic ...
                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusphredde View Post
                  I would LOVE to know what Christian faith believes that they are really eating his body and drinking his blood ... Yes, it is symbolic ...
                  Err, Catholocism, well sort of

The Vatican has a long list of compiled comments on the Eucharist but the one below handles Transubstantiation

"The Council of Trent summarizes the Catholic faith by declaring: "Because Christ our Redeemer said that it was truly his body that he was offering under the species of bread, it has always been the conviction of the Church of God, and this holy Council now declares again, that by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation."
                  Regarding why....

erm,,,,

go through the link above. If you're lucky, you'll spot an answer that makes sense to you. If not, shrug, someone around here might be adequately versed in Catholic theology to handle this in detail. I don't think I could do it justice without putting more work into it than I want to.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

A lot of Christians, Jews and Muslims believe the bible is literal. Just different parts of the bible I guess depending upon your religion. Catholics and the Eucharist? Yup. It's the real deal. Evengalists and Fundamentalists as well.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I have a good friend who is Catholic, who wanted to tell me Catholicism was more right than Orthodoxy, who said that transubstantiation was a very real part of Catholicism when we discussed the topic.

Transubstantiation is the belief that by the power of God, the substance of the bread and wine have literally been changed to flesh and blood respectively whilst retaining their appearance. In Orthodoxy, they prefer not to think they can explain the Eucharist but rather call it a 'mystery' (there are something like seven mysteries in Orthodoxy, the bonding of two in matrimony is another). Some say it is consubstantiation, that the bread and wine becomes flesh and blood but also remains bread and wine, coexisting. This is not the doctrine, though, and most Orthodox priests will just say "we don't know exactly in what sense it becomes the flesh and blood, but it does."

The idea that it is symbolic is a purely protestant idea. Same for baptism and the other mysteries.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                      I was taught in Catholic primary school that it was symbolic, not reality. That we were partaking of the essence of Jesus in order to strengthen our faith and connection with God.
                      What Catholic sect was that? Usually schools are connected with a monastic order of sorts.
                      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                      But that day you know I left my money
                      And I thought of you only
                      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Well since I don't believe in it either way I will let y'all figure it out ... I do believe I will check the crock pot ... Slow cooking corned beef so I can make fresh corned beef hash for breakfast tomorrow ...

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                          Should have added this. But that's the thing. Transubstantiation means that it is reality, not metaphor.
                          Strictly IMHO - the greater mass of humanity is not very good at grasping symbols & metaphor, they lust for concretes, and so convert every subtly nuanced use of symbol and/or metaphor into the item of their desire - a "description of real things."

In trying to make things clear, people become confused (that sounds so Zen ). Catholic theologians are as subject to this as much as anybody else...
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

So,bacon is really a holy thing then besides being tasty.?????
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              So,bacon is really a holy thing then besides being tasty.?????
                              Only to pigs, who are, in fact, cannibals.

Comment

Working...
                              X