Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cannibalism and Magic in Christianity

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
    I was taught in Catholic primary school that it was symbolic, not reality. That we were partaking of the essence of Jesus in order to strengthen our faith and connection with God.
    I learned at CYO that it was a "representational metaphor" and that the literal part came from the spirit of Jesus's body and blood being in the bread and wine.

This was because I made a joke about Jesus being a man made of bread (this was the same day that the priest in charge pulled me aside and thanked me for coming even though I was neither Catholic nor Christian because he thought that having this exposure to other ideas and having to answer them was both good for his personal faith and for that of the other kids...aparently some of the parents had complained).
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Reminds me of an incident in my youth when I flipped off a priest..his hand was where it should not have been...(Inner city youth was I)
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I sort of feel that when I was growing up and being made to go to Sunday School (aka CCD), we didn't have the cool priests or teachers who would allow "out of the box" type questions. If someone asked one, the generic response was to be told that "you're just being silly" and then the class was redirected back to whatever it was that was being discussed. So I never got the answers to the "silly" questions that I had, and stopped asking them all together. I'd have to say that even then at a young age was when I started feeling disenfranchised with the whole thing, though I tried because it was what I was supposed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
          I sort of feel that when I was growing up and being made to go to Sunday School (aka CCD), we didn't have the cool priests or teachers who would allow "out of the box" type questions. If someone asked one, the generic response was to be told that "you're just being silly" and then the class was redirected back to whatever it was that was being discussed. So I never got the answers to the "silly" questions that I had, and stopped asking them all together. I'd have to say that even then at a young age was when I started feeling disenfranchised with the whole thing, though I tried because it was what I was supposed to do.
          I'd say you appear to be infringing on the copyright to the story of my life but it appears you are older than me. Still. Story of my life.
          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
          But that day you know I left my money
          And I thought of you only
          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I sort of feel that when I was growing up and being made to go to Sunday School (aka CCD), we didn't have the cool priests or teachers who would allow "out of the box" type questions.
            This seems really wierd to me...because this is completely the opposite approach in both my family and in the church I was raised in.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              This seems really wierd to me...because this is completely the opposite approach in both my family and in the church I was raised in.
              I have mixed experiences as a Catholic - young, being taught by nuns, you bought what you were told or got a wampin'.

Later, in the late 60's in Sunday School, the nuns encouraged discussion. I imagine that time and locality have big effects on these experiences, even within a specific denomination.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

In the Catholic faith the priests hands are blessed (consecrated) in order to perform the right of changing the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ. Whether it is considered an act of magik or a miracle is probably part of the reason that so many other Christians believe that Catholicism is a cult and not a Christian religion. There are more reasons for this but the Catholic faith requires one to believe that it is truly the body and blood of Christ.

Is it cannibalistic to eat the substance of one's god? When He commanded it? I don't have the answers and I spent eighteen years growing up a Catholic. My mother was Catholic and my father was a convert. I was never a very good Catholic because the leap of faith that was required was too great. Being Pagan and the process of initiation taught me in a way that that leap of faith could be made small enough to take. All religions require a leap of faith at some point. If you had proof there would be no need of faith.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

My Grandmother is a Southern Baptist and Grandfather is Church of Christ, and I've got an Aunt who is Nondenominational, and I spent every Sunday growing up in either my Nan's church or with my Aunt. I was not allowed to share the last supper until I was baptized because I could not understand the sacrifice of what was made and it was considered a sin. For them it is not metaphorically speaking either. They do believe it is the actual blood and body of Christ. As for the reason why they do it I think it goes with accepting his gift and sacrifice. I can ask my Nan. She would have no issue explaining to me. Hmmm I might just do that.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                    What Catholic sect was that? Usually schools are connected with a monastic order of sorts.
                    Erm... I'm not sure. I was a kid and we moved away when I was twelve. I remember that Mary MacKillop (who was in the process of being canonised when I was there, which has since been completed) was a big deal. Our principal was a nun, and some quick research tells me that she was Sister of St Joseph... though I'm not sure whether the 2-3 nun teachers that we had were also Josephites. We had two priests and I remember the younger one had spent a lot of time as a missionary in Papua New Guinea and he was... really fun and a bit out there.

I'm not sure if it was just my school, but my experiences in Catholic primary school were not at all like a lot of the stories I've heard from other countries and from older generation Aussies. I never went to Sunday School, but we studied the religion as a subject and regularly had classes taught by Father Eugene himself.

Comment

Catholocism is rather large and by virtue of that, you run into some Catholics operating one way in one area and others operating differently somewhere else. I've yet to come across a priest or nun that I actively dislike but I also haven't gone out of my way to have theological debates with any of them.

I did know a priest who had

framed when we found it online and printed off a copy for him.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        I learned at CYO that it was a "representational metaphor" and that the literal part came from the spirit of Jesus's body and blood being in the bread and wine.

This was because I made a joke about Jesus being a man made of bread (this was the same day that the priest in charge pulled me aside and thanked me for coming even though I was neither Catholic nor Christian because he thought that having this exposure to other ideas and having to answer them was both good for his personal faith and for that of the other kids...aparently some of the parents had complained).
                        I was taught basically the same thing that Thal has said here. So obviously it wasn't an explanation isolated to just my school/church.

The Holy Eucharist was all very serious... you didn't partake if you hadn't undergone the full rites (Baptism, Confirmation, Reconciliation and First Eucharist), and it was a sacred and profound process. It wasn't like 'oh, this is just a symbol, here have some bread'... but we weren't taught that it wasn't bread anymore and that we were literally eating Jesus' actual flesh... it was bread and wine imbued with Jesus' spirit and made MORE than bread and wine. Partaking of it was to partake of Jesus himself, not by eating HIM, but by taking his essence into you.

Comment

I do like the loophole of funerals though. In a Catholic funeral everyone gets to eat the Christ! Happened at my father's funeral. I was raised Roman Latin Catholic. Which pretty much meant we were Catholics and then throw in some hard core Hispanic magic. My nana had an altar full of saints I was to dust daily (til I broke St Francis's foot off) and she also had one of these in her bedroom:

I also had the traditional blond lady gaurdian angel over my bed:

And on the other wall this:
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So what is the actual difference between magic and miracle, and cannibalism and taking part of the Holy Communion ritual?
                            Interesting question. I had a look online and there was a term I was unfamiliar with here: http://itsjustdave1988.blogspot.com....arist-not.html The bread and wine are called 'accidents' meaning
                            Accidents = (1) a nonessential property or quality of an entity. [Merriam-Webster] (2) things whose essence naturally requires that they exist in another being. Accidents are also called the appearances, species, or properties of a thing. These may be either physical, such as quantity, or modal, such as size or shape. [Fr. John Hardon, Modern Catholic Dictionary].
                            So essentially, the Eucharist is metabolised as bread and wine, but hold the supernatural substance (or true nature) of Jesus' body and blood. So for example you could say here is a square (the true nature/substance) that's purple (purple being the 'accident' or non-essential quality). For Eucharist, you would say here is the body and blood of Christ which is bread and wine.

It doesn't really make sense because it seems like a game in bad grammar and semantics, but there you have it.

Maybe transubstantiation isn't the same as transmutation. A better example of transmutation would be when Jesus turned water into wine (John 2:1-11). There was a miracle that everyone noticed and didn't have to take it on faith. I took the Eucharist once in Catholic church for school and was politely asked not to do so again. It smelled like wine, it tasted like wine and that "bread" was like licking sticky cardboard. At the wedding feast when the gospel report Jesus turning water into wine, the water literally became wine - there was no mistaking it. It sounds like in transubstantiation, the metaphysical qualities are changed, but in transmutation, the physical aspects are changed.
                            Last edited by Azvanna; 28 Oct 2015, 21:15. Reason: added bible reference

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                              but we weren't taught that it wasn't bread anymore and that we were literally eating Jesus' actual flesh... it was bread and wine imbued with Jesus' spirit and made MORE than bread and wine. Partaking of it was to partake of Jesus himself, not by eating HIM, but by taking his essence into you.
                              This--that its not literally blood and meat of a 2000 year old dead (resurrected) guy, but that it is the spiritual essence of the blood and body of the YHWH-as-man.

Which comes to the whole one ousia in three hypostases thing (aka the Trinity)--one divine essence in three bodies...they are all "God" because god is the ousia, but the imagery of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are the three...lets call them incarnations (but not in the reincarnation sense) (maybe avatar is a better description) (maybe manifestation) of the ousia. When you take communion, the bread and wine become of that ousia (the divine essence) and become spiritual manifestations of the blood and body of Jesus.

This is different from most Protestant traditions, where the blood and wine are generally thought to be symbols of Jesus (but may run the spectrum between this *purely symbolic* view and the one above). Either way, its no more odd than anything Pagans do.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post

And on the other wall this:
                                Necromancy!

But can someone tell me about this image?

Comment

Working...
                                X