Are your beliefs "reasonable"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are your beliefs "reasonable"?

Of course my beliefs are reasonable. To me. My path is self-formed, so even if it was proven that no higher power existed, it wouldn't change my mortality or how I conducted myself.

I got into something like this with my brother once. Apparently, "I understand that's what you believe and I'm glad it works for you" wasn't the answer he was looking for.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Is anyone actually reasonable to begin with? Why would our beliefs be?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        Is anyone actually reasonable to begin with? Why would our beliefs be?
        We are all crazy, flaily creatures when you get right down to it.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'm reasonable in that my beliefs make logical sense given certain assumptions, but unreasonable in that those assumptions are not intrinsically reasonable.

Comment

You will never have proof that a god exists if you do not first believe in them. They don't speak to anyone, only those they feel are worthy and won't be a waste of their time.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
              We are all crazy, flaily creatures when you get right down to it.
              That, for some reason, made me think of alice in wonderland. We're all mad here.

I don't know if I'd say my beliefs are reasonable. To me they are, there's reason and logic to them. But they're still 'just' beliefs. I don't have proof. I don't feel the need for proof.
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Beliefs are reasonable or not reasonable, depending on what basic, unprovable premises one assumes to be true at the beginning of a chain of reason.

All philosophies, with the exception of epistemological solipsism, begin with unprovable premises. Yes, even Descartes' "I think, therefore I am" begins with a premise that can not be objectively proven (i.e.: the ability to think is an indicator of existence).

Therefore, IMHO, only epistemological solipsism is truely rational.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The only requirement is that an individuals beliefs are reasonable to the individual holding them. My beliefs are very reasonable to me, as far as my beliefs go, who else matters?
                  The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                  I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                    The only requirement is that an individuals beliefs are reasonable to the individual holding them. My beliefs are very reasonable to me, as far as my beliefs go, who else matters?
                    Lol. I bet Charlie Manson feels the same.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

If he doesn't he is more hypocrite than mad, and he is very mad.
                      The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                      I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

I would consider my beliefs largely reasonable. However, they are fairly personal, so they might not seem so to other people.

Comment

I like to think that I'm trying to be "reasonable" about my beliefs. I still retain my sceptic's mind. I might have a vague sense of "That could be thing," but until I see it or otherwise perceive it myself (or if it is objectively tested for in laboratory conditions in a controlled study), I don't often venture into "yeah that's totally a thing". And I encourage that mindset, in general, as it leads to a more independent and critical thought process.

On the other hand, yeah, I believe in weird and supernatural things. All on the basis of my own, imperfect senses of perception and thought processing. And I'm well aware of the myriad ways the human brain can be fooled.

Comment

Working...
                          X