Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful Pagan music?

Ello.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any decent, beautiful pagan music. A lot of the stuff on Youtube just sounds like its been put together in a cheap programme, it doesn't sound real at all. In fact, I find it a little cheesy. What's frustrating is that there is beautiful music, like this...

But I do not connect to it because, well, actually it was written in the 11th century, when Iceland was Christian. But the style is beautiful, no doubt. I was wondering, even if there isn't any ancient stuff, is there quality, modern pagan music which isn't a variety of metal, but doesn't have, pipes over the top of it or something?
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Re: Beautiful Pagan music?

There is one Norwegian band that uses authentic instruments. They write music about the runes and record their music in nature. Some of their songs have even been used for the series Vikings. They are called Wardruna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0c1H30ytCs

Faun from Germany is one of my favorite bands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5o5zWQiD6U
    As is Omnia from the Netherlands: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Nr3ZAhrsU
    They are both pagan bands that I enjoy listening to. They have a lot of beautiful songs, but also more energetic ones.

Is this what you are looking for? I'm sure there are lots of other pagan bands like these.

Comment

Hey thanks. I'll look into Wardruna more, just singing and drums. I don't know about the history of string instruments and pipes in my neck of the woods, but there's something about harps and pipes that really, well without sounding rude, it grates me lol. I love smallpipes though, like Uilleann and such. I guess with this sort of folk, traditional and historical music I like it calm and solemn and ballad-y, rather than the equivalent of a pagan party, when I'm just listening to it at home, you know?

Comment

Subscribed to thread. I'm glad someone brought this up. There are truck loads of beautiful Hindu, Buddhist and Taoist music on the interwebz, but there's an unfortunate dearth of Pagan and Heathen music.
        śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
        śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Wardruna is a great group of Heathen upbringings. I would highly recommend for their melodic, emotional compositions. Some of their songs have Galdr chants of the Elder Futhark.
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Gjallarhorn

baah.

Comment

Damh the Bard.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thanks guys. It has occurred to me that Fleet Foxes (who I quote in my signature) have a number of songs with pagan and folkloric influences.

How do you guys feel about appropriation of music styles of other religious, like the chant style singing of the video I posted, for pagan purposes? In my opinion it seems like a brilliant back hand to how paganism was virtually extinguished. I know that it wasn't a brutal nationwide conversion process, that's not how people used to believe. Faith was a communal subject (not a "private affair" as in today) and they would convert to whatever their lord converted to because, well, they must have an inside tip, whereas the lords likely converted because of trade opportunities.

It's a shame there isn't more. With instruments like the hurdy gurdy and small pipes, which frankly beg for music with pagan themes, it's a surprise there isn't.
                Last edited by Briton; 29 Oct 2015, 02:12.

Comment

I know you said no harpe, but I have to put this here https://youtu.be/7_sPqL60az8 because I love it. Lisa Lynne, no song, just music.

There's a danish band who make (made, sadly they stopped a few years ago) new interpretations of old nordic songs. Some of it's Danish, some is Faroese... probably some swedish and norwegian in there too.
                  valravn:

the last one is one of the oldest known songs to be written down... at least the first few lines of it.
                  A lot of their music is quite dark and bloody if you understand what they're saying. There's a lot of old folks tales in them, and they tend to be pretty gory around here.
                  You remind me of the babe
                  What babe?
                  The babe with the power
                  What power?
                  The Power of voodoo
                  Who do?
                  You do!
                  Do what?
                  Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                    Damh the Bard.
                    Yes!

Also, download some episodes of Druidcast and there will be music at the beginning and end of each show. There is some very strange music out there, but also some very well written stuff.

Spiral Dance has some music I enjoy, but Damh the Bard takes the cake so far. His album Standing Stone and Antlered Crown is on my to buy list.

Comment

Briton, please listen to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UeoIEo9UoJ4.

This song was first on Druidcast episode 100. I think this is closer to what you're looking for. It's a beautiful piece of music.

Comment

I love these guys ...
                        This one too ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWXcdS7OgbI
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Oops I just realised you didn't want pipes. The whole piece is pipes, so don't worry about it! I'll find something else

Comment

Faith & the Muse and Inkubus Sukkubus, if you're goth rock inclined.

Comment

Working...
                            X