Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Again - Satanists stand up for religious freedom

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
    How does suspending a football coach for publicly praying advance religious freedom? So long as no-one else is required to join in, how were their rights violated?

Why have a constitution? Good question. We do very well without one in the UK, while the US one seems to fuel endless arguments about how to interpret it. It's a bit like Christians arguing about how to interpret the Bible, if you think about it!

Incidentally, a head covering is not mandatory for Muslim women. It's not universal, and the Al Azhar university has issued a fatwa stating that it is merely an Arab tradition and not religious.
    The coach was known for praying on the field at a school function. The Satanists didn't say stop him. They said, ok, I want to do that too. The school decided nope. It was ok for people to pray publically on school grounds and during school events as long as it's a Christian prayer. Soon as someone else wants to say a prayer and do the exact same thing the coach was doing, the school ixnayed the whole deal. The coach could totally have been allowed to pray all he wanted at every single god damn game as long as the school allowed everyone else the same right. The school did not want to offer the same right. So they shot their Christian nose to spite their Christian face.

Also us Americans left the UK for a reason. Don't be mad we have rights you don't.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The football coach is leading the prayer at a constitutionally secular event. He has the right to pray, fine. But in these situations, there are consequences for not participating in the group prayer. Sometimes they are subtle, and sometimes they are just plain nasty. And they are discrimination. Generally, everything else stops and the prayer is center stage. Everyone sees who participates. Not participating can be seen as a betrayal of the team. Everyone is forced to take a religious position anytime they want to play football. The football coach is in a position of power. It is ridiculous, but true. And the point is, everything stops for the Christians to pray. If it were safe and expected for others to pray, fine. But it is not. Which is why they would rather suspend the coach than allow anyone else to pray differently. Because it is not about allowing everyone to have their religious freedom. It is about making a football game a Christian event.

And I see Medusa beat me to it and said it better.

Comment

What the two above me said. You don't not pray with your team. In the south we take football very very serious. That team does everything together, and if you want to continue to play on that team or ever get any field time then you do what the whole team does.
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

This is obviously one of those US things that outsiders will never understand - a bit like what you call football, come to think of it. Personally, I have no problem with a group I'm in saying a prayer: I can say a silent one of my own, after all.

@ Medusa: standing up for the Pilgrim Fathers? They'd have turned you into a well-done steak!

Comment

This is obviously one of those US things that outsiders will never understand - a bit like what you call football, come to think of it. Personally, I have no problem with a group I'm in saying a prayer: I can say a silent one of my own, after all.

@ Medusa: standing up for the Pilgrim Fathers? They'd have turned you into a well-done steak!
            Lol. No they wouldn't. Only hysterical upity women were burned at the steak. The smart witches were married to the preachers. Get it together.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Incidentally, a head covering is not mandatory for Muslim women. It's not universal, and the Al Azhar university has issued a fatwa stating that it is merely an Arab tradition and not religious.
              Islam is not a monolithic religion.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X