Spiritual Struggle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual Struggle

I'm on a spiritual struggle. I did a tarot reading on this topic and things aren't looking to good for me. I'm unsure if I want to continue being a Taoist. Because I got so much in my mind right now. I need help. What should I do?

Re: Spiritual Struggle

Depends on why you think Taoism doesn't fit you anymore. My best advice for now, is to start from zero and do research on the belief system that fits you most. Don't be in a hurry, the spiritual world isn't going anywhere.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Stop being anything. Stop going to other people to ask what they think you should be or do or think or believe. Stop trying on religions like they are pants or cupcake flavors.

Start by asking yourself what you believe. Follow up by asking other people, of varying faiths, what they believe. Read the texts and mythos of those faiths. Read the histories of those traditions, and their offshoots. Take a class (watch some lectures, whatever) on religion and philosophy in general. Go to some ceremonies (with permission). Talk to clergy and ask them questions.

Once you've done this, ask yourself what you believe again. Figure out which of those other religions you have the most in common with. Start practicing their rituals and attending their services (if they have them), fellowshipping with their congregants, etc. Be that religion, constructively and with committment. Do it for at least 3-6 months. If you like it, keep going. If you've stuck with it for at least a year, consider calling yourself that.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Become a Catholic. They got it all worked out for you.

Or, better yet, do as Thalassa suggests...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It took me 18 years to figure out what direction to go, and then another 10 or so to really find which path IN that direction to follow. And still, from time to time, I look around and check out what might be out there for me if I went a different road. You can never learn too much, or have too much experience, or ask too many questions. The thing is, like Thal said, you've got to figure out what you feel is right. Once you discover what shape peg you are, THEN worry about what sort of hole you fit into. And if you find you still don't fit into one, that's okay! You at least know yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            Stop being anything. Stop going to other people to ask what they think you should be or do or think or believe. Stop trying on religions like they are pants or cupcake flavors.

Start by asking yourself what you believe.
            Those are very helpful questions, Thalassa. I came across it some time ago. I've been looking for new paths as well or rather an addition to my current path. Bartmanhomer, it's ok to be struggling with your beliefs. It's human Just take your time and the advice from the people above.

Comment

I guess I'm mostly just chiming in for support, because I think you've gotten some very good advice. Try to let your mind quiet down a little and see if you can recognize those things that stay true for you even as you change and grow. You may understand in greater depth as you learn and try new things, but they will be there.

It is common to hear of religion/spirituality as a journey up a mountain. There are many different paths. Mine seems to be a long, slow spiral. From time to time I will think "Oh, here I am on this side of the mountain again". It can seem a little frustrating, but the truth is that each time I circle the mountain, I bring new knowledge and perspective. I am a little further up the mountain. I know that this side is shadowy and rough, but that around the bend there is a stunning view and a place to rest and enjoy it. I know that it is easy to stumble in some places. I know better how to use the tools I carry. I also know that even the rough spots have something to offer me. Sometimes I am envious of those who have a very direct, steep path and look to be climbing in a hurry. But the truth is that I really enjoy the climb, so that taking the longer path is a lifetime joy, and I know that it is a good one for me.

I suspect you are , for now at least, walking the long spiral and looking for the steep direct path to the top. Maybe on this loop you are meant to find that one direct path, or maybe you need to make some more loops around the mountain. They are all valid paths, and they will all get you there if you keep moving. I think from your posts and questions that you are a person who cannot help but keep moving up the mountain. No worries there.

Comment

My suggestion is use Tarot. It is simple and familiar for you.

Don't ask a yes or no question. Ask: What is my spiritual path at this time? See what comes up!

Ask once, take a photo of the spread and look at it from time to time.

Use celtic cross spread as explained here: http://www.biddytarot.com/how-to-rea...-tarot-spread/ Are you familiar with that one? There are no negative places, just a 'challenge' and the task of working out how the cards interact with each other.

Be prepared that a specific religion may not come to mind for you. Instead, you may end up with knowing what you want from religion more clearly.

Even if it's your subconscious talking, you'll know what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  Once you've done this, ask yourself what you believe again.
                  What if what you believe is "I think these other people know it better than I and I've got to learn what they believed" rather than specific "I believe in gods" or "I believe in reincarnation"? Does that count as a valid response?
                  I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                  Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                  But that day you know I left my money
                  And I thought of you only
                  All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                    What if what you believe is "I think these other people know it better than I and I've got to learn what they believed" rather than specific "I believe in gods" or "I believe in reincarnation"? Does that count as a valid response?

Some people need the support of others to determine the particulars, but I think in most cases, people know what they think is right and wrong, they have a gut feeling of whether they thing (particular after being exposed to many different paths and ideas) whether the gods are one or many or not at all.

And these things are prone to change anyhow, as life happens and experiences shift perceptions. I was once a progressive and liberal Christian that believed feverently in Jesus as the most awesome dude ever (in a very non-literal Biblical way) (and lets be honest, I was 6)...and I was once a Wiccan in a BTW+ coven (the +comes from Reclaiming and some other traditions thrown in the mix after the HP and HPS decided to get experimental)...and I was once a hard polytheist before I got to where I am now (and I'm only 34)...who knows where that might go next?
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Being an explorer is awesome.

As Eliot said "Every ending is a new beginning, a raid on the inarticulate, with shabby equipment, always deteriorating."
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Ok after reading everybody comments and give much thought I'll give Taoism a second chance.

Comment

Working...
                        X