Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lose your electronics:How much would you hurt if the goodies went away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lose your electronics:How much would you hurt if the goodies went away?

Kinda simple,or maybe thought provoking. If you had to give up your electronic toys for a while,how would you feel?

Think about your day,and how often you use that phone,or tablet or even your desktop(if you still have one)

Be honest,how addicted are you?
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Lose your electronics:How much would you hurt if the goodies went away?

My internet access is the only thing I'd really miss - it's the only toy I use throughout the day.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I know that I could always find something to do to keep myself occupied, such as reading or painting or cooking. But the biggest thing I'd miss would be my phone, mainly because it's the main way I keep in touch with my wife while she's 400 miles away. Long distance is tough enough, never mind when you've got to do it with letters and postcards.

Comment

Honest answer: I'd be fine. I already feel like I've lost everything else. A lack of electronics is fairly insignificant in comparison.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          Be honest,how addicted are you?
          Guilty as charged XD
          Last year I went to South Africa to volunteer on a wildlife project and in one of the parks there was no wifi and the electricity we did have came from a simple generator. I spent two weeks without electronics. And boy, how confronting and frustrating that was the first two days. I never realized how addicted I was to the comfort of my computer and phone. I had my phone with me, but I was in the middle of the bush with no signal, wifi or anything. And I automatically kept checking my phone, while there was really nothing to check out. So after two days I decided to put my phone away in my backpack. I really didn't need it for anything, except as an alarm clock, which my roommate already used her phone for.
          Instead I read some books, played games with the other volunteers and enjoyed my surroundings. I mean, there were elephants, lions and other beautiful animals everywhere! What the hell did I need my phone for It was a real eye-opener for me. So I recommend everyone to spent some time away from electronics and especially your phone.

Comment

It'd be crippling at first but I'd find a way to make due. It just depends on how widespread the electronic deprivation would be. Losing MY electronic toys (computers, phone, tablet, tv) and appliances would be one thing, but losing ALL electronics would be a different story. Paying for food, heat, running water, fuel would be more than just a little crippling. It would be devastating. So can you elaborate more on which electronics you're talking about?
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I'd be lost. Literally. I have no sense of direction, the gps on my phone is vital to me I'd probably be ok. Using gps has actually made me better at reading maps. I use my phone a lot, but I like sending letters, and reading is fine entertainment too. I didn't have a cellphone or computer growing up, I could probably get used to not having it again. I'd miss the contact with people around the world though.
              You remind me of the babe
              What babe?
              The babe with the power
              What power?
              The Power of voodoo
              Who do?
              You do!
              Do what?
              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I use my phone, tablet, and computer a lot, but when I give them up, I really, really enjoy it. We do at least one trip every year where there is no Internet or cell service and it's always fantastic. The longest we did so far was 10 days in the Hebrides in Scotland and it almost felt like culture shock going back to it. I'd love to do a longer trip with no electronics (well, I guess we do use cameras, but that's it). We want to bike to Copenhagen and back next year and since I nixed the data on my phone, I won't be online if we do it. That's about two weeks or so.

Oh yeah, and I nixed the data on my phone, so I don't use the Internet when I'm out and about, not even on long train rides. I love it and I'm not going back.

Comment

I am a lot less addicted to my phone then I used to be, and I made myself that way. I realized a few years back that I couldn't not look at it so I started leaving it in the car when I would go to work. I broke myself of that habit but I still use it a lot. I also spend a lot of time on my laptop but that's really just to be on here and check my facebook. I don't watch t.v. so I wouldn't miss that but I'd say I'd be kinda bummed about not getting to talk with all of you any more. As for losing electricity, and appliances across the board as Juni said yeah I'd be really lost. I know how to build a fire, and I know how to preserve things but I'm not so sure I could handle loosing EVERYTHING.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                    It'd be crippling at first but I'd find a way to make due. It just depends on how widespread the electronic deprivation would be. Losing MY electronic toys (computers, phone, tablet, tv) and appliances would be one thing, but losing ALL electronics would be a different story. Paying for food, heat, running water, fuel would be more than just a little crippling. It would be devastating. So can you elaborate more on which electronics you're talking about?
                    Had not considered the "Other" electronics like atm's or electronic banking. Credit and debit cards as well. That in this day and age might be very crippling. I am from a time where cash was king,and most buying is done with cash even now. My daughter does the internet for me if I need something found online. I will admit to being a little off the grid,I do not have a cell phone,or a tablet,or even if I had a cell it would be the old school flip type,not a smart phone. My "Land line" is through the Internet carrier as is my tv. I am thinking of going back to a "Wire" land line,seems more reliable. Power outages I lose my phone as well as TV and internet.(Comcast) If I was younger I might be living in the total off the grid world.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

A couple of years ago, I had to spend a summer without my laptop. I didn't know when I could get it back (they said it would take a week... then another one... yet another) and I didn'ŧ have a smartphone either. It was an experience but I'm not entirely sure if I learned something from it... Probably not. I developed an addiction to cheap coffee places and buying pocket books on discount.

But it really makes one isolated. At the moment I need the internet for my studies and I spend far too much of my free time online as well but at least I can access the campus computers now. And smartphone. I'm a mental cyborg, the web is one of my non-physical limbs. Okay, this is getting weird. Nevermind.
                      baah.

Comment

personal electronics? ... I have books and a shop ... All electronics? ... back to cash and postage stamps i guess ... and speaking of land lines ... even when the power went out i always could make a call ... as long as the phone lines were up ... and there is a voltage thru it that you can use for light with a little tinkering ...
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

My only phone plugs into the wall. My son keeps trying to get me to get a cell phone but even if I did get one it would likely get left at home most of the time.
                          My computers have a lot of software that I use daily and I do get on a couple of forum boards daily. Most of my contacts are through email so I would be nearly down except for the few friends and family that have my phone number. If the land line phone is included in the electronics then I would likely use more gas to stay in touch with friends and family. We don't even have a TV or entertainment electronics. I guess I enjoyed having the extra time without them.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

It's significantly easier to collect souls and sanity via the internet than without it. Removing my internet access complicates pizza acquisition. This is bad.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I don't think I could do without the internet forever. I enjoy not using it, but I do almost all my work online. If I didn't have a computer or the Internet, i'd have to find a new career.

Comment

Working...
                              X