X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evil Deity

Would you worship an evil deity?

Re: Evil Deity

Personally I don't know of an "evil" deity. My belief allows me to partner with deity in co-creation. I don't worship my deities. I respect them as my partners and as wiser than I. We are each born with the spark of deity within us.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Define "Evil" deity?

If you look to the lore of most if not all deities you'll find they are both good and evil. Good and evil are very much human constructs and very much perspective driven in how they are applied.

Consider is Artemis evil when she slays the daughter's of Niobe after Niobe slights Artemis' mother? Some might say yes for it is vengeance that is being displayed. Other's might say no for Niobe was guilty of hubris and her children paid for her hubris. It's all perspective of the person doing the observing and trying to place it into some sort of ethical and morale category.

Considering Artemis is one I am sworn to then my answer has to be "Yes" based upon what might be seen as an evil action. It would have to be yes based upon the fact I am also blood bound and sworn to Hekate who can be seen as a dark goddess.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I don't recognize deities as being good or evil. They just do what they are inclined to do. For example, Tezcatlipoca can tempt humans into self-destruction, but can also absolve them of their wrongdoings Similarly, Xochiquetzal is said to seduce people to sin, and then forgive them for their sins.

Comment

Mortals tend not to see themselves as evil. If they are working with a Power commonly viewed as evil then odds are that they aren't seeing that Power the same way everyone else does. There are exceptions to this premise but they aren't insanely common.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else here. What is Evil? Plus, I don't think that we can apply a standard "good" and "evil" sort of dichotomy to the divine, as the things they do don't really fall into our way of thinking or doing. I know many have painted Loki with the "evil" brush, because he tends to go against the grain and do some mean stuff along the way, but folks tend to miss the fact that he also uses his trickery and slyness to get out of just as many problems as he causes. Odin himself has done some things that could get him branded as "evil" as well. We can't know what the intent of a being such as a god may be.

Comment

Again I think that no Deities can be considered good or evil.

Since people never really consider themselves or their actions evil I think the better question to ask is 'Would (and how would) you interact with a Deity that could conflict with your (or other common societal) morales?'
              For example I, as a polytheist, believe that every deity exists. I go into the limelight of every Deity at some point, but I do not want interact with the Christian God and will probably always remain at a respectful arms length because I feel the message he presents greatly contrasts with my personal morales and beliefs.

Go Go Origen!

I'm always looking for new and cool book and food recommendations, feel free to message me ;P

Comment

The question is akin to asking if there exists an evil animal or plant, or an evil rock. I tend to be of the mind that "good" and "evil" are fallacies of human existence to support the ethical and moral codes by which we live as communities.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.

Comment

While I agree with the above, I think it needs to be said that just because a being may be interested in you, you do not need to take them up. There are beings that, while I have no issues with, have a perspective that is different enough from my world view that I could see conflicts of interest, or even, depending on how literally you take The Divine, advice and/or influence that would not be in my best interest.

This is one of those things that becomes very important when someone steps away from the idea of divine as omnipotent and omnipresent.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                    While I agree with the above, I think it needs to be said that just because a being may be interested in you, you do not need to take them up. There are beings that, while I have no issues with, have a perspective that is different enough from my world view that I could see conflicts of interest, or even, depending on how literally you take The Divine, advice and/or influence that would not be in my best interest.
                    ^This is exactly what I was trying to say! ;P

Go Go Origen!

I'm always looking for new and cool book and food recommendations, feel free to message me ;P

Comment

Can't think of any real EVIL deities ... Loki was a trickster ... Hades was the god of the dead ... Thanatos was god of death (ie the grim reaper) ... Beelzebub was a daemon ... Satan was originally a member of Gods high council that watched over humans ... He was like Gods prosecutor for human sins ...
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

sure, why not?
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                          The question is akin to asking if there exists an evil animal or plant, or an evil rock. I tend to be of the mind that "good" and "evil" are fallacies of human existence to support the ethical and moral codes by which we live as communities.
                          It makes sense to talk about a good plant: one which fulfills its functions as a plant. In fact the philosopher Philippa Foot once began a lecture by saying that the best place to start with ethics was by talking about plants...

Like her, as a virtue ethicist I don't make a distinction between the use of "good" in "good plant" and "good person". A plant needs to be healthy and capable of reproduction. An animal also needs to have correct perceptions and behaviour. A social animal also need to fit in to the group. And a rational social animal needs all that and the ability to use their rationality in making decisions.

So what constitutes a good or bad god? Do we know or understand enough about gods to answer that question? Personally I'm inclined to accept the assurance of the Chaldean Oracles that every good is good.

Comment

I believe in the universal Law of Complements. "What you get out of your life is dependent on, and proportional to, what you put into it."
                            Within all things are complementary aspects. If a god has the potential to be "good" then it has an equal potential for "evil". The concepts of "good" and "evil" are foreign to pretty much all but humans

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                              It makes sense to talk about a good plant: one which fulfills its functions as a plant. In fact the philosopher Philippa Foot once began a lecture by saying that the best place to start with ethics was by talking about plants...

Like her, as a virtue ethicist I don't make a distinction between the use of "good" in "good plant" and "good person". A plant needs to be healthy and capable of reproduction. An animal also needs to have correct perceptions and behaviour. A social animal also need to fit in to the group. And a rational social animal needs all that and the ability to use their rationality in making decisions.
                              There lies an issue within this sort of thinking though. An animal is an animal is an animal, whether it is a social one, a rational one, or just a plain old one without additional descriptors. To take what you said, that a "good" plant or animal is one that is healthy and capable of reproduction. Therefore, logically, is it "good" to reproduce. What does that mean to say for those that do not reproduce, be in through genetic make-up or choice? Are seedless watermelons and grapes "evil" plants? Are humans, who are simply rational (and I say that loosely) social animals "evil" if they choose not to have children? By this logic, then those plants and those humans are "evil".

Ethics are a man-made invention, and in fact there does not exist even a single constant that can be found in various cultural morality. In fact, "good and evil" are different than "right and wrong" as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X