Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are gods?

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
    Every time I see this thread pop up in the recent list, I can't help but singing:

What are gods? Baby don't hurt me, baby don't hurt me, no more ..
    Haha, what a tune!
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
      Every time I see this thread pop up in the recent list, I can't help but singing:

What are gods? Baby don't hurt me, baby don't hurt me, no more ..
      Lol. Now I'm going to hear it too XD

To me gods are beings made up by humans and are as real as we want them to be. I don't believe they are real alive beings, let alone that they would have any influence on our lives. I see them as symbols for certain aspects or characteristics that may apply to humans or the world around us.

Comment

Now that tune is stuck in my head too! Here comes the revenge!

What are gods?

I just had to...

For me, gods are forces. Both inside and outside of us. Both transcendental and wordly. Everything is more or less a manifestation of the divine for me. It's not a kind and nice god. My god/s have no logic, no sense of justice, they are chaos and harmony, creation and destruction. They don't care. That's why we are here for.
        But honestly, I have on idea. This was my view on gods/divinity tonight. It will be different tomorrow. I'm sure I will throw myself into a religious frenzy someday. Someday I will be an nontheist/atheist/dontcare. But still, what I call god/s will be there. And it/they/zie/he/she will slap in the face every now and then.
        baah.

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
          What is the difference between a belief in gods and a belief in spirits who have domain over or are the essence of life in a region, say a lake, copse or mountain range?
          Depending on your perspective, it could just be a matter of scale.
          On the other hand, I can understand a distinction where a god has a creative power over reality or nature, whereas a spirit is the simple personification of its domain. Example: a river deity is the force that led to the creation of that river, and thus controls its very essence; a river spirit is a being that emanates from the natural phenomenon of that river, and perhaps manifests a personality for it.

I don't necessarily believe that second idea. I'm just kinda spitballing it, see how I like it on paper.

Comment

They are sapient cosmic forces. Something akin to a law of metaphysics given life and elevated to a status of supreme Divinity. If there was a time before the universe, then they were there before it. Never have they not been and never shall they not be. To describe in whole using human words is impossible and even this description may not be sufficient.

Comment

I think Gods are a projection of the human mind, possibly archetypal.
              Once a man, like the sea I raged;
              Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
              And there is in fact more earth than sea.
              Genesis lyric

Comment

Working...
              X