Witches, chicks, and your brain on juju

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Witches, chicks, and your brain on juju

Personally, I don't think explaining away witchcraft and intuitive abilities as 'just neuroscience' disproves anything at all. Just because we have a scientific explanation doesn't mean that it's completely debunked. I personally see the study of things like neuroscience a valuable tool in our ability to understand how 'supernatural' things affect us. Because at the end of the day, it's all about how our brains interpret and translate the information given to us. That doesn't make it less profound... it just means that we understand what's going on. And understanding is never a bad thing.

But then, I am a primarily left brained person who likes to understand; and who sees the magic in science and the mundane. Taking the 'mystery' out of something doesn't make it less magical to me... in some ways it makes it more magical. So it means that the term 'supernatural' doesn't apply anymore because we can hypothesise with some reliability that it's actually based in very natural neurological processes... why is that bad for witchcraft?

Figuring out how magnetism works didn't diminish the magic of the thing... it just diminished the mystery of the thing. I don't equate magic with mystery (which I realise goes against traditional definition of the term 'magic'), so I embrace whatever scientific evidence arrives to explain the things that we consider magical or supernatural.

Comment

LOL - I agree. There's no such thing as "just" neuroscience. It's ALL neuroscience...

Even if there really are gods/desses, and they really do talk to people, it's still gonna be neuroscience...

Emotions are real, people feel love, I love my wife and children. It's still neuroscience. But not "just" neuroscience. It's an experience that can be described via neuroscience.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Science is great for explaining the natural world, and I am sure there is a neuroscience element to it, but science can only explain the very stuff that can, simplistically, be touched. However wkth these things, it is like a person stuck in two dimensions trying to convince us we're wrong about the cube, it's just a square. They can't prove outside their existence so they cannot fathom the cube, and treat those who say they can as ridiculous.

What I meant by my last post is that it reads like Buzzfeed, I don't know why, but despite the complex content they still write as if they're trying to fit in with the lolcat generation.
        I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
        Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
        But that day you know I left my money
        And I thought of you only
        All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Can a thing that leaves no trace be said to be real?

Hypothetically, things that leave no trace may exist, but we can't know them, or anything about them.

By their traces ye shall know them...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
          X