Not-sloppy Potato Bake recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not-sloppy Potato Bake recipe?

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for potato bake that isn't runny? It can be creamy or not, I don't mind. Preferably creamy though as that's the way the rest of the family like it.

Re: Not-sloppy Potato Bake recipe?

6 potatoes
    1 big onion
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups fried and diced bacon
    2 cups grated cheddar cheese

You can use more sour cream if you want ... but no more than a cup

You can also add half the cheese into the mix and half on top

• Slice potatoes into 3/4 inch pieces. Slice onion thinly and split into rings.
    • Combine potatoes and onions and microwave on high for 10 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
    • Remove from microwave, stir through sour cream , bacon, and 1/2 cup cheese.
    • Place in greased baking dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Mine is super, super easy, and EVERYONE who eats it loves it. For being so simple, it tastes awesome and is lovely and creamy.

- however many potatoes you want/need, sliced no thicker than 5mm.
      - cream
      - bacon, diced (enough to cover the top with a nice layer)
      - 1 onion, thinly sliced
      - cheese to top

- Layer your potato slices in your (microwave safe) dish (I just use a glass tart/flan dish, it's about 2cm high I guess) and alternate potato slices with onion. Keep a bit of onion aside to put on the top later. My dish is shallow so I end up with three layers of potato and they bulge out the top.
      - Cover with gladwrap and microwave the whole thing for at least 5 minutes. Check that your potato slices are 'par-boiled' and nuke a bit more if not. You want them half-cooked. If you microwave them separately then make sure you transfer all the liquid that will form when you put them in the real dish, as the starch will help with the sauce.
      - Put your diced bacon over the top, I like a nice generous layer. Add the left over onion to your liking.
      - Pour just enough cream in that you can just see it coming partway up the sides. You don't want so much that it's spilling out the top, but you need to be able to see a bit pooling around the potatoes. I just use Bulla Thickened Cream (or actually Paul's is the brand I use but I think that's a SA brand, so use Bulla or a similar consistency one. I find the Woolies brand is a bit to thin for my liking).
      - Top everything with grated cheese - cheese that you grate yourself will give you a better result than pre-grated, even though it's a pain to grate it. (I generally buy whatevers on special between Coon, Bega, Devondale and Mainland and they all work fine)
      - Bake at 180 until the cheese on top is all melted and browned up (usually about 30-40minutes).

I always put a tray under it just in case it overflows, but my dish is always bursting at the seams once it's all in there, so overflow happens for me. Sometimes I wonder if this helps keep the runniness down? Either way, mine is almost never runny, and the runniness seems to be more about what cream I use than anything else (and it's always runny if I have to use milk instead of cream). I also ALWAYS nuke the taters first... if you don't par boil them first the cheese burns before they get done and I don't like al dente potato bake.

Comment

So, I make something called hashbrown casserole. The recipe is pretty much this: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/hash...-onions-cheese with a few substitutions--no bacon, more garlic instead of onion (or if you are using onion, sautee and carmelize them with the garlic first...also mushrooms are good if you do it this way), and greek yogurt rather than sour cream. Also, sometimes I dice cauliflower to take the place of 1/3 of the potato and/or shred in zucchini too.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks! I'll try them out.

Comment

Working...
          X