I Need To Improve My Artwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need To Improve My Artwork

As many of you may know I mention this on another thread about making my own tarot deck. As many of you may not know my drawing is somewhat average. I need some advice on how can I improve my artwork. Any advice?

Re: I Need To Improve My Artwork

Could always take some art classes to work on technique at your local college.

Comment

practice practice ... develop your own style ... some of salvidor dali's work looks weird ... but is his style
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. Get some books on technique and/or take classes...you live in the biggest city in the US, there's bound to be a few! If that doesn't work out (transportation or cost, etc) look for youtube tutorials. And yeah, as mentioned, develop your own style.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Try different techniques and mediums. Maybe you're not so great with oil painting but awesome with pens and markers, or pencils... Or vice versa. If you have a tablet and a stylus, download an app (I'm sure they exist... I haven't checked, though) that allows you to draw there.

And as it's been said already, practice. Review your art and find the areas you want to improve on and try it again. Some people are really good with landscaping but not so great with people or animals. I'm the opposite. I have an easier time drawing an object or person than I am at drawing a scenery. But I got good at art because I took art classes every year in school until I graduated. And I drew constantly, even in other classes (when I should have been paying attention to Math or History). I practiced a lot. It's the same with any other artform like dancing, singing, gymnastics. You have to put time and patience into it.
          �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
          ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
          Sneak Attack
          Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Practice, for years and years and years.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Also, YouTube videos on techniques and tricks and tips. This wasn't around when I was learning but it's such an awesome resources now.
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Keep a pen and mini pad on you at all times. When you see something inspiring, think of something interesting, you always have the tools at your disposal. Master the Arte of Doodle.

Comment

DOODLE
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

The great thing about art is however you draw or paint it is perfect, because it's yours. Refining or "improving" is totally your preference - and as everyone has said, there are tons of tutorials out there. All you need is time and practice.

Comment

I work with Apollo for my writing (among other things). I feel He can help give me a push, or a guiding hand, but He can't magically make me better. That only comes with finding my flaws and improving them.
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                        As many of you may know I mention this on another thread about making my own tarot deck. As many of you may not know my drawing is somewhat average. I need some advice on how can I improve my artwork. Any advice?
                        Just start. You'll never feel good enough.

Finish a deck, no matter how simple. Add to it or make changes later.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                          Just start. You'll never feel good enough.

Finish a deck, no matter how simple. Add to it or make changes later.
                          This...

Accept, embrace, and learn from failure. Just keep swimming.

My kid does gymnastics. She's good. Not because she is insanely talented, but because she doesn't quit, she keeps going. Failure may disappoint her, but it doesn't stop her. She just keeps swimming.

I watched her spend 40 minutes last night falling off the full height beam to land a 2nd cartwheel after she "got lucky" on the first try. She must have done it a couple dozen times before she landed another one. And then she kept going because it still wasn't right.

Whatever it is you want to do will never be what you want it to be unless you keep swimming.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X