Medication Helps People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medication Helps People

This is my take on medication. I believe that medication helps people. It's makes the mental stability stable for people who's mentally ill. It's doesn't cure people though but it does make people stable. I'm mentally ill myself and I've been taken medication almost my entire life even though my medicine have been changed from time to time. When I take my medication it helps me a lot and it works. I don't believe in holistic and non-traditional medication because I don't think it has any effect with clearing the symptoms and also it might have harmful side effects of that type of medication. I'll stick with traditional medication. That's my debate of medication. What's your take on this topic?

Re: Medication Helps People

When it's used properly against the correct issues on patients whose bodies can handle it, yes.

If it is misused, used correctly but the problem you're trying to medicate isn't what you think it is or used correctly against the proper target but on a patient who is allergic to or otherwise unable to handle the med, then no.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Just like anything, if you misuse it, you will hurt yourself or others.

I take anti-depressants. I would literally be dead without them. Yes, I was anti-depressant free for a while, but an inborn chemical imbalance just doesn't go away. I need drugs.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
        Just like anything, if you misuse it, you will hurt yourself or others.

I take anti-depressants. I would literally be dead without them. Yes, I was anti-depressant free for a while, but an inborn chemical imbalance just doesn't go away. I need drugs.
        I was born with a chemical imbalance, and somehow "cured" myself of it. Gotta say my psychiatrist was REALLY surprised (to the point that they asked me to do tests and stuff for medical research. Still on it.)

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

"If you believe in magic, at the start of a movie, when everything's great and everything's groovy..." In any case, the statement of medication helping people is true, but so is the statement that medication hurts people. I'm aware that anecdotal evidence isn't exactly the best kind, but my father died recently of a blood clot in his lungs, caused by excessive sleep, caused by several years of taking ambien in successively larger and less effective doses. Which is a large point towards 'hurt', if you count my vote.

Comment

the dose makes the poison...

if you take too much of anything, it will kill you eventually

but in the right amount for the right thing for the right amount of time...
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
              I was born with a chemical imbalance, and somehow "cured" myself of it. Gotta say my psychiatrist was REALLY surprised (to the point that they asked me to do tests and stuff for medical research. Still on it.)
              I would love to know how you did it. Being genuine here, not at all sarcastic.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

It's different for everyone. Over the last few years I've heard about, and tried, all kinds of stuff for arthritis. I personally know people who were helped by these things, so they work in some cases.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I've always treated medication as one part of the equation. To me treatment is a three part combination that equally includes medication, therapy, and attitude/lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    the dose makes the poison...

if you take too much of anything, it will kill you eventually

but in the right amount for the right thing for the right amount of time...
                    Sadly this is why a lot of mentally ill patients give up on meds. I watched my mom get switched on meds all the time. And it would take a good few weeks to get her to balance out. I never knew how bad it was until it happened to me. I was taking a medication that made me a zombie. And just trying to tough it out is like living in hell. The mind is still a magical place. Even for scientists. In the end it's a crap shoot what will work and what won't.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                      I would love to know how you did it. Being genuine here, not at all sarcastic.
                      Several years of meditation after realizing I am a master of my body. Brain included. I don't remember how the disease is called, but I remember that in my diagnosis I used to produce about 85% less Serotonin, 60% less dopamine, and my oxcytocin production was really unstable. It was due to a malformation on my brain. Some gland that didn't form correctly or something like that.

We were too poor to afford anti-depressants, and even so my father was always against psychiatric medication.

At the age 14 I discovered Satanism, which preaches mastering's one's mind and body. And so I tried. And tried. And tried.

Heavy meditation, working with spirits, following my dreams. I set my happiness as a goal no matter the cost. I wanted (and still want) to be the god of my own existence.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I'm not on any medication for altering ones state of mind, or attempting to fix a chemical imbalance, so I can't really speak for that. However, I will say due to my scoliosis-there are days where if I didn't have my medication (muscle relaxers and pain medication alike) I physically would not be able to get out of bed and would stay in so much pain I couldn't function. With the degree that the curvature to my spine is, if I mess something up, even just lightly pulling a muscle, it can lead to every step sending stabbing pain shooting through every nerve ending up and down my spine making me want to throw up and/or pass out (and not always in that loving order). So yes, while it can be a bit of a crap shoot finding what works or doesn't for some kinds of medications, especially when dealing with the mind, I'd say medication does its best to do more help than harm.
                        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                        sigpic

Comment

I believe medicine helps people, however, there are factors to it. I have epilepsy and without my medicine and the VNS (Vagal Nerve Stimulator) in my body, I would have bad seizures and would not be able to drive. You have to be diagnosed correctly for the medication to help you. Also I think that you should not use prescription meds to get a high. I still think we need to look at diagnosing correctly. If you feel that you are not receiving the proper care, get a second opinion. I have to see my neurologist at least twice a year to make sure that my meds and VNS are working properly for me. There are several factors for us, but the most I think we need to watch out for are people that use meds recreationally.
                          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                          X