Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever keep religious items from your previous religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you ever keep religious items from your previous religion?

I have done some thinking and searching and as far as I can remember or find I do not have anything from my earlier days. I never could seem to keep up with the crosses I was given.. they all seemed to disappear, no matter how hard I tried to keep up with them. I was given a Bible for my 13th birthday and my dog tore it to shreds(i was very upset about that one) I received another one in a very nice case but I believe I got rid of it. I was also given a promise ring that I changed the promise on. I was never one to believe in waiting till marriage but I didn't also just want to sleep around(I gave it away at 17)...So no I cannot say I have anything from my previous religion.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Not even a little bit. My parents tried to raise me as a Pentecostal Christian despite the fact that my father was raised catholic and my mother was brought up as a Lutheran regardless of her Irish catholic mother and Jewish paternal grandparents. Every imaginable type of negativity was taught to me via those religious choices and the first thing I did was get rid of the symbols of that negativity. I didn't enjoy being raised in religions that taught hatred and bigotry and essentially told me that the only way to have a good life was to feel guilty for literally everything. Wasn't my cuppa so I ditched it. My rosary and bible were donated to the church and I stopped attending mass. I'm sure that if my upbringing in the church had been different then my views on holding on to those religious symbols might have been different but it is what it is.
      Last edited by RowanModig; 08 Nov 2015, 11:38. Reason: mispelling
      (user formerly known as beckly_freckly)

You are a little soul carrying around a corpse.

Comment

Oh yeah. I have my father's bible. Not for religious reasons. But because he wrote in it and put notes. So that puts me closer to my father..not closer to gawd.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I still have the altar from my previous religion. Only a bit modified. But I'm in a lucky position not having any religious baggage from my childhood. I do have some family heirloom things but they're at my parents' place so I can avoid thinking about how to deal with them.
          baah.

Comment

Originally posted by Banu View Post
            It's just a thought, but those rosaries would be the perfect addition to an ancestor shrine. As your grandmother was Catholic, and doubtless other ancestors were Catholic as well, they might make her feel more at home. Many Kemetics set up their ancestor shrines with religious iconography meant to honor their ancestors' beliefs.
            Beat me to it! But yeah, I would use it as part of an ancestry altar, or I would simply put it in a hope chest for younger relatives.

I still have my bible from my Church of Christ days, and sometimes I read through what I've written and highlighted. I'll pass it onto my kids if they want it when they get older, or it can be donated or given away if they don't. I also have a celtic cross necklace that means so much to me, and a beautiful cross wall hanging that got me through some hard times. That I may display on the wall again, although not as part of my altar, or pass on to the kids.
            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I have the Bible that I highlighted the crap out of when I was Christian. It's missing a big piece of a back corner, because the dog we had at the time ate it (seriously). I keep it because I have some interesting passages highlighted, and because I have multiple books of various holy scripture anyway.
              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Religious symbols (ok, all symbols) hold meaning based on what meaning you give to it. To your grandmother they were religious, to you they may be more sentimental connections to her and therefore are more of a family memorial object than a religious one.

There's nothing wrong with keeping things that make you feel better, happier, or more at ease. Even if they don't represent your own beliefs.

I don't own anything Christian oriented, but that's because I never really had any. I've kept gifts from previous life situations though because I want to remember the good things instead of those big nasty bad things that made it pass into the category of "previous situations."

Comment

Working...
                X