Thread: Knot Magick to Assist in Chemical Detox

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Knot Magick to Assist in Chemical Detox

I take a number of medications on a daily basis to help with various ailments, one of which is chronic pain. I've been on a steady pain management regimen for several years now. Sometimes I can't line up my refills with my next appointments and thus go into a forced detox for a few days or a week, which is absolutely horrible - the sickness, shakes, insane cravings that make you want to go find a street dealer, and general inability to relax. I hate it. Not to mention the pain for which the treatment is intended.

Anyway, I recently had the pleasure of reading Mrs. Penry's book on Knot Magic, so I thought I'd see if I could develop a working to ease my suffering until my next appointment. And it absolutely worked! I'm 7 days into detox now and have experience very few negative side effects - no nausea, slightly upset stomach but not losing water, and am generally relaxed.

It's very simple: I took two chords - one I keep on my person and the other I destroyed. In the one on my person I have two knots: one to bind the craving, and one to bind the physical side effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc).

On the other chord I tied three knots, binding anxiety, lethargy, and depression. Intuition told me to burn this one rather than keep it.

Easiest detox I've ever had. My prescription gets filled in two days. Were it not that I'd be hobbling on cane until I could afford surgery I'd just forego it at this point.

Thank you, Mrs Penry!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Knot Magick to Assist in Chemical Detox

Great to hear!

In my experience, magic works quite well on pain.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

thank you Hickory! Sorry to hear about your forced detox though - never pleasant, and hope you get the prescription sorted very soon. Blessings, Tylluan :-)
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Feb 2015
    Religion
    Northern Traditional Shamanism
    Phrase
    Purge Negativity with Control

Totally off topic, but If you're in a state that offers medical marijuana, I'd seriously look into it. The taboo that comes around with this nonpharmaceutical is slowly fading into ignorant chatter, it'll truly help with nausea and some types of pains, as well as anxiety and stress. I'm not some hippie druggie, I'd say go and do some real research from documented trials and testing, but instead of all these unnatural, addictive substances you're consuming to help your ailments, you may be one easy prescription away from never feeling the negative effects ever again
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Norse_Angel View Post
    Totally off topic, but If you're in a state that offers medical marijuana, I'd seriously look into it. The taboo that comes around with this nonpharmaceutical is slowly fading into ignorant chatter, it'll truly help with nausea and some types of pains, as well as anxiety and stress. I'm not some hippie druggie, I'd say go and do some real research from documented trials and testing, but instead of all these unnatural, addictive substances you're consuming to help your ailments, you may be one easy prescription away from never feeling the negative effects ever again
    My state is legalizing it, but my employer (DoD) hasn't changed it's policy to accommodate that. I'd be all over it otherwise.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

When it come to MM, while it's worth looking into, it's.not without risks or problems, and some of the hype is exaggerated compared to actual results, particularly when you look at long term large studies. As an example, marijuana use can cause excited delirium in epileptics...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Norse Pagan (self taught - looking for more traditions)

also - be aware that some people have serious reactions to Marajuana. I've tried it 3 times - all more than a decade ago - and every time I've used it when I've described it's effects to my friends, or my friends who were there asked me what it was like, apparently I was reacting as if I'd had a serious hit of LSD. So there are outlier reactions to it you may need to be cautious of.

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

I smoked a lot of weed in my youth, so no ill side effects. I'll retire in just a few years, so I'll be free to partake once again, and most likely will. I'd like to reduce the number of medications I rely on anyway, and it will probably be helpful in achieving that goal.