This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking

How many of our forum numbers smoke tobacco, or used to smoke. If you've quit, what was your reasoning. If you smoke, what is your reasoning to do so? Now that we're discovering literally everything Causes cancer now adays, should we put the same types of warnings on products that carry any type of carcinogens (EI: Meat, Stressful Jobs, Court notices, Chocolate, etc)

I myself smoke tobacco out of a pipe. It's a cheaper convenience to me, and I like the options. Pumpkin Spice was a best seller at my tobacco shop, didn't know so many white girls smoked pipe.
    My reasoning was totally modeled around the people I hung around with at the time. They got me into a lot of bad things, smoking stuck with me after I kicked everything else though. I was 15 when I started.
    I think that if we need warnings labels on coffee cups that say "Caution, Coffee Hot," there shouldn't be any reason why we can't put "Caution, Cancer bad" labels as well.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Smoking

I don't smoke, never have (tried it twice, it didn't do anything for me either time).

But, on the opinion of caution labels for all forms of known and possible carcinogens... What, in the past decade, hasn't been termed a cancer risk? The list goes on (eggs, meat, alcohol, chocolate), and grows from year to year. It also gets edited and things that were once said to be completely bad for you have been removed from that list and are now called healthy (chocolate, wine). To me, it just looks more like "what food is trending now?"

If you want to claim that red meat and eggs are carcinogenic, you may as well call vegetables and fruits carcinogenic too due to the amount of chemicals that evaporate up into the atmosphere and are mixed with hydrogen atoms to rain down into the farmland that grows and harvests it for our mass consumption.

Cancer, albeit a horrible thing, is going to happen. It's always going to happen. Because of what cancer is, and because our body is constantly (naturally) creating it and regulating it, it's not something we're going to be able to simply eradicate with better habits. I'm absolutely for the idea of minimizing risk to harmful chemicals and habits that can put the body's regulation process out of balance, and to research and develop treatment methods. But to think that if we start living on a diet of bottled water, grapes grown in a green house, and crackers, that we will be able to keep cancer from ever happening to us... that's really just a pipe dream.

Plus, I think I would sacrifice dying a few years sooner and living my life with good food anyway. But that's my personal preference.

Comment

I smoked for over 50 years(maybe 55) and quit the first of this year(for medical reasons,I liked smoking) I find myself still(9 months in) craving a smoke from time to time. I will not smoke again cause they say it will hurt me a lot.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The reason why tobacco contains warnings while other carcinogenic products usually do not is that tobacco is addictive. Yes, eating processed meat can increase the risk of cancer, but you'd have to eat a LOT of it to stack up with a pack a day habit. Most people don't smoke the occasional cigarette. It's a physically and psychologically addicted drug that is seriously habit forming.

Comment

I've been smoking for six years. Been trying to quit forever.

When I lived in NYC it was like $14 a pack. The habit is rapidly becoming unaffordable everywhere.

Comment

Believe it or not back when I was in the navy(1965-1969) a pack was like 25 cents,on ship it was 10 cents a pack(at sea,no tax)
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              The reason why tobacco contains warnings while other carcinogenic products usually do not is that tobacco is addictive. Yes, eating processed meat can increase the risk of cancer, but you'd have to eat a LOT of it to stack up with a pack a day habit. Most people don't smoke the occasional cigarette. It's a physically and psychologically addicted drug that is seriously habit forming.
              I'd say eating is quite addictive as well. The withdrawals suck, mostly death, and lose of weight.
              "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
              And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
              They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
              The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
              - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I smoked for a number of years before I finally stopped. At the end I just put them down because I no longer enjoyed it and have never had a desire for them since. That would have been nearly 20 years ago now. Not to say I didn't "quit" a number of times over the years for one reason or another. I recall one of the boats I was on we got extended and I saw a pack of smokes go for $50 and a cartoon for a couple of hundred. Definitely quit for the remainder of that deployment.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The only time I smoke is when I end up lit on fire.

Comment

I smoked weed between 14-15. By the end it was very infrequent and I had decided to get rid of what I had left. On the eve of my 16th birthday I got arrested because I was apparently trespassing and, instinctually ran rather than stuck when the police turned up. If I had stood still, they probably would never have searched my bag. In my bag was the remains which I was taking to Gloucestershire as a friend and I were meant to be having a joint party. No I mean a party for the two of us, I was actually going to bin it when I got there so there was definitely no way of demonstrating it was mine. So I got a reprimand and haven't barely touched it since. To be fair I smoked it again about twice in college, but not in the last 4 years.

I smoked "casually" a bit as I never got addicted. That said, I found it gross so had to have had a few drinks first. I don't smoke at all now and a little disappointed to find out my wife sometimes does on a night out. I thought she was better than that, but hey, they're her lungs in the end.
                    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                    But that day you know I left my money
                    And I thought of you only
                    All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                      I'd say eating is quite addictive as well. The withdrawals suck, mostly death, and lose of weight.
                      It's not addictive if it's necessary to live. Saying "eating is addictive" is like saying "breathing is addictive." Yes, some people do get addicted to food, or even junk food, but it's not something that MOST people get addicted to and food is something everyone needs to live. No one needs smoking to live.

Comment

I smoke a pack a day. I'm all kinds of bad man.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          It's not addictive if it's necessary to live. Saying "eating is addictive" is like saying "breathing is addictive." Yes, some people do get addicted to food, or even junk food, but it's not something that MOST people get addicted to and food is something everyone needs to live. No one needs smoking to live.
                          Now, talking about how it's the additives in the tobacco that may cause the addiction, the very same thing can be said about certain additives in food. We do not NEED fast food, yet people crave and yearn for it as much as they do with drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. Also, one of the most interesting things people fail to realize is that caffeine is, in fact, one of the world's most addictive substances and tops the charts for the number of people addicted to it. That, therefore, makes things such as sodas, coffees, and teas as actual addictions, even though we "need" to drink as well. So I would have to disagree that just because it is something that is necessary to live, it is possible to form an addiction and therefore to indulge to excess.

Comment

I started smoking at ten years of age. I put the cigarettes down for five years a couple of times and once for ten years. I never had a problem with walking away from the cigarettes. I have never been "addicted to them or anything else, including the Methadone that I was on for three years under "pain management" by my doctor and the pain clinics doctors. They expected me to be on it for life due to the injuries in my back and central nervous system. I took myself of the Methadone after three years - my doctor was amazed that I had no withdrawal symptoms.
                            The definition of an addiction is anything that you must increase in amount to get the same effect and it will build toxicity and lead to death. For most mammals, humans included, salt and sugar can be addictive. Tobacco can be addictive and so can certain drugs. There is more to it than just the substance. Some people just don't seem able to become addicted to anything. Most of what the health industry calls addiction is just habitual. We for habits easily and rely on certain substances as a result. Salt in large quantities can kill and there is a more or less direct connection between sugar and cancer. If you live in a big city and walk daily you get more carcinogens breathing the air than I do smoking under a pack of cigarettes a day out in the country. My mother smoked from her early teens until she died of old age at 87. She had no signs of cancer and no respiratory problems. She also wasn't addicted to them. She could quit whenever the mood struck her and did on occasion but she enjoyed smoking. She had a friend who was a nun who had never smoked and never been around cigarettes and died of lung cancer at 67. They have no idea what caused her cancer and had no idea why my mom was free of the effects of smoking. I do believe that smoking contributes to cancer but it is obviously not a cause. Radiation exposure can cause cancer if it disrupts the cellular development by destroying genes. Since we are all exposed to some levels of radiation every day it is possible that that in combination with other things cause most of the cancer in the world.
                            I will smoke as long as I find it enjoyable. When I no longer enjoy it I will stop, again.
                            The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                            I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                              The definition of an addiction is anything that you must increase in amount to get the same effect and it will build toxicity and lead to death.
                              : a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)
                              : an unusually great interest in something or a need to do or have something
                              I do hate to quibble, but that is not, in fact, the definition, according to Merriam Webster. Also, most studies have shown tobbaco to be addictive, under the above definition; considering that most of your anecdotal is within family, it may simply be that you have a genetic resistance to that particular affect of nicotine. No further comments, questions, or concerns.

Comment

Working...
                              X