This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete List of Aesir, Vanir, and Rokkr

Okay, so the title may be a little misleading, as the list itself doesn't exist as of yet. But, I wanted to see if there was an interest in helping me create a list of this nature. I figure over time, we could end up with a comprehensive reference for folks, old and new alike.

Things like name, associated colors/runes/elements, relations, and even personal experiences for offerings and the like would be a great way to go. How's that sound?
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Re: Complete List of Aesir, Vanir, and Rokkr

Sounds great to me.

I can make this thread a sticky, and maybe try out MO's index link thing like what we have in the Rune of the Month thread, which would turn it into a quick reference thing for folks as well.

Aesir:
    Asa Asynjur
    Odin Frigg
    Baldr Bil
    Bragi Eir
    Delling Fulla
    Forseti Gefjun
    Heimdall Gna
    Hermod Hlin
    Hodr Idunna
    Hoenir Lofn
    Magni Nanna
    Modi Sif
    Thor Sigyn
    Tyr Skadi
    Ullr Snotra
    Vali Sol
    Ve Syn
    Vidar Thrudr
    Vili Var
    Vor
    Vanir
    Van
    Vanadis
    Freyr Freyja
    Kvasir Gersemi
    Njord Holle/Hulda
    Odr Hnoss
    Skirnir Nerthus
    Rokkr
    Gods
    Goddesses
    Aegir Angrboda
    Farbauti Aurboda
    Fenrir Gerda
    Jormungandr Hela
    Kari Hyndla
    Loki Jarnsaxa
    Logi Jordr
    Mani Laufey
    Nidhogg Mengloth
    Thrym Nine Undines
    Utgard-Loki Ran
    Rind

Others
    Male
    Female
    Bor Audhumla
    Buri The Nornir
    Ymir

Last edited by Rae'ya; 22 Nov 2015, 18:02. Reason: Added in index list.

Comment

I intended to come home today and post a list of the various beings and into which category I felt they fall into (as I'm sure there will be some debate regarding a few of them), but instead, as I sat down to start the compiling, I found my focus drifting in a slightly different direction, though still on topic. So if you'll bear with me and let my fingers ramble across the keys as they are now wont to do, I will eventually create the above mentioned list. You see, the personal reasonings behind this project, beyond the scope of making a go-to guide for all, is to expand my own experiences, thoughts, and understandings of the deities that we venerate and shape our beliefs. And so inspired, I feel the need to start somewhat toward the middle rather than the very beginning.

Odin - Looked upon as the All-Father, the chief of the Aesir, it is he who holds one of the places of highest respect (amongst the male deities). His is seen in the runes of Ansuz, Gebo, and Othila, the embodiment of intelligence and knowledge, sacrifice and obligation, centering and nobility. Draped about him are the colors of grey and blue, the colors of twilight and clear sky, of mystery and transparency. Odin is a sky god, a being of the element of Air, flowing around all things, through all spaces, and filling everything in between as when a container holds nothing, it still holds Air. He is a being who carries with himself the weight of many portfolios, from Death, Battle, and Nobility, to Language, Poetry, and Wisdom.

In his hand, he holds the spear Gungnir, the "swaying one", a further symbol of his domination over Air, which he will brandish as he rides out with the Einherjar to do battle with the Fenrir. Upon his shoulders sit Munin and Hugin, "Thought" and Memory", a pair of great ravens who travel out each morning to return in the evening, bringing with the the news from all throughout the Nine Realms. It is said that like the other gods, Odin is fallible, lacking in full sight, and it is through his two ravens that he is made whole and seen as all-knowing. Beside him sit Geri and Freki, "Ravenous" and "Greedy", who portray a lust for all things.

To me, he is as an aging Grandfather, the patriarch of the family who is given great respect and honor by all others, and while we does not show his physical prowess or strength, there is about him an aura that exudes such. He speaks little, watching, learning, knowing, yet when he does open his mouth, his words are those that would be heeded. He has sacrificed much for his family, enduring pain and suffering to unlock mysteries and wisdom not just for himself, but so that he could pass it down to those willing to take the time to listen. He is stern but approachable, gruff but kind, asks little but commands a deep respect for all he has done. When he does ask, he only does so once, and expects to be given an answer and to have his bidding done. Harsh but fair, he rewards greatly those who dedicate themselves to him.
      Last edited by Rae'ya; 12 Nov 2015, 17:53. Reason: Emphasis on 'Odin'
      "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

I've started an index list in my first post, which will have deity names linked to the posts at which we start discussing them. I've also made this a sticky for us

I'll add names to the index as a sort of 'to do' reminder list as I think of them, and others can offer suggestions to add to the index if they like. I'll then add in the links each time we start a new deity entry.

May I suggest that when we add a deity, that we make the name bold, underlined and size 4 or above? Just so that it's nice and easy for everyone to see. Feel free to fancy it up however much you like, but I think that's a nice minimum emphasis we should aim for.

Comment

Okay, so today I took a bit of time to do a little poking about and compiled a list of the Aesir, Vanir, and Rokkr that I could either find or remember. Now, the thing is, different people place different beings into different categories. Anyhow, here's the list.

Aesir
          Odin
          Baldr
          Tyr
          Bragi
          Hodr
          Vidar
          Ale
          Forseti
          Frigg
          Saga
          Eir
          Gefjun
          Fulla
          Sjofn
          Lofn
          Var
          Vor
          Syn
          Hlin
          Snotra
          Gna
          Sol
          Bil
          Thor
          Idun
          Vili
          Ve
          Sif
          Delling
          Hermod
          Honir
          Magni
          Modi
          Mimir
          Marfi
          Vali

Vanir
          Njord
          Freyr
          Freyja
          Heimdall
          Ullr
          Kvasir
          Nerthus
          Odr
          Hnoss
          Gersemi
          Skirnir
          Vana

Rokkr
          Loki
          Fenrir
          Jormungandr
          Hela
          Angrboda
          Surt
          Thrym
          Nidhogg
          Sigyn

Other
          Norn

As I was going through and doing this, I realized that it's a much larger list than I imagined from the start. But hey, here it is!

Comment

Heimdall is Vanir? Interesting, I always thought of him as Aesir.
            "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
            ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              Heimdall is Vanir? Interesting, I always thought of him as Aesir.
              Yeah, it's one of those "no one's really sure" kind of things. In some sources, he's said to be a child of Odin, but in others was sort of Frigg's counterpart in the Vanir, with the power of prophesy. There is a connection between him and Freyja as well, so with her playing for Team V, I thought it made sense to toss him over there as well. He's even been listed as one of the possible forefathers of all the alfar.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                Yeah, it's one of those "no one's really sure" kind of things. In some sources, he's said to be a child of Odin, but in others was sort of Frigg's counterpart in the Vanir, with the power of prophesy. There is a connection between him and Freyja as well, so with her playing for Team V, I thought it made sense to toss him over there as well. He's even been listed as one of the possible forefathers of all the alfar.
                There is also the consideration that no one knows who his mother/s is/are, and that it's possible they are the Rokkr Nine Undines (or one of them).

In general, I tend to categorize deities according to their primary alliances, not just their actual race (and frankly, the Aesir are a multi-national group anyway). Therefore I would put Heimdall with the Aesir... I would also put Skadhi with the Aesir (as well as the ones that people have forgotten are Jotnar, like Mimir and Tyr).

And as far as I've been told by the Nornir themselves, they are frost thurses. But I think it's okay to leave them in the 'Other' group, because they do not have alliance and stand well apart from everyone else in the Nine Worlds.

I've copied this into the master index, alphabetized it ('cept for Odhinn and Frigg), and added a few that you missed out (and deleted a few double-ups). I can edit it whenever someone thinks we need to rejig the categories, though I don't think we need to get too caught up in that... the politics of the Nine Worlds is fairly complex, so I think that some basic groupings that just help with finding the deity you are after is sufficient. I rearranged a couple based on ultimate alliance and where they live... so yeah, I've put Heimdall and Ullr into the Aesir section. If popular demand says to move them back, I will.

(And yeah, I'm keeping the common modern spelling of the names for the purposes of the index, without accent marks 'cos I'm lazy.)
                Last edited by Rae'ya; 13 Nov 2015, 20:39.

Comment

This task, on second glance, ends up appearing much more daunting when you take into account the number of various beings to touch on. Granted, some are all but unknown and have very little information on them, but still. It's funny, that when someone says "Oh yeah, I love the Norse gods!", for the most part you can figure that they're talking about the the big five: Odin, Frey, Thor, Freyja, and Loki. In fact, for me, I really hadn't even heard of some of them, such as Snotra, Sofjn, and Lofn, until I stumbled across the show "The Almighty Johnsons". That was at least six months ago, and perhaps it was that they started me wanted to do this, to find information on as many of the gods and goddesses that are out there as possible. After all, how can you hope to touch or be touched by them if you haven't even the foggiest idea that they exist? So, with hopes that maybe as we go we'll all gain a little insight and knowledge, I figure the following deity would be a good choice.

Kvasir - The origins of Kvasir are confusing and a bit muddled, as at times they contradict each other, but the majority points to the fact that he is a being of the Vanir, offered up as a hostage to the Aesir during the war between the two clans. He is the wisest of all the gods, able to give an accurate answer to any question posed of him, as if all the knowledge of the past, present, and future were at his fingertips. I would attribute to him the runes of Kenaz, Ansuz, and Pertho for their associations with knowledge, inspiration, and secrets. As the stories go, he took to wandering, rather then staying in one place, perhaps to escape the burden of his own knowledge and the questions that came with it, until he, in his misfortune, came upon who dwarves Fjalar ("deceiver") and Galar (“screamer”), who captured him and killed him. They drained him off all of his blood, collecting it into a cauldron to which they added honey, creating the first mead, the Mead of Poetry. It is said that because of this, mead has the ability to loosen ones tongue and mind, aiding in the writing of poetry and oration. Because of this, I would apply to him to colors of gold or amber (to reflect the color of mead), and the element of Water.

Comment

Heh, I'm more familiar with the big 5 than a lot of others but if I'm talking about a fondness for Northern Powers then none of them make the cut. I don't know enough about Frey and Freyja and I dislike the other three for varying reasons. I'm more interested in Heimdall, Mimir and (depending on my mood) Tyr. Though I'll grant that those three are from obscure by comparison to some of the names on the list.
                    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      Heh, I'm more familiar with the big 5 than a lot of others but if I'm talking about a fondness for Northern Powers then none of them make the cut. I don't know enough about Frey and Freyja and I dislike the other three for varying reasons. I'm more interested in Heimdall, Mimir and (depending on my mood) Tyr. Though I'll grant that those three are from obscure by comparison to some of the names on the list.
                      Out of those, MO, the only one I'd say was a bit less known would be Mimir. Heimdall's gained some popularity because of his visibility in the Thor movies, and Tyr's pretty well known because of his being a chew toy to Fenrir and for being the boss before Odin took over.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                        There is also the consideration that no one knows who his mother/s is/are, and that it's possible they are the Rokkr Nine Undines (or one of them).

In general, I tend to categorize deities according to their primary alliances, not just their actual race (and frankly, the Aesir are a multi-national group anyway). Therefore I would put Heimdall with the Aesir... I would also put Skadhi with the Aesir (as well as the ones that people have forgotten are Jotnar, like Mimir and Tyr).

And as far as I've been told by the Nornir themselves, they are frost thurses. But I think it's okay to leave them in the 'Other' group, because they do not have alliance and stand well apart from everyone else in the Nine Worlds.

I've copied this into the master index, alphabetized it ('cept for Odhinn and Frigg), and added a few that you missed out (and deleted a few double-ups). I can edit it whenever someone thinks we need to rejig the categories, though I don't think we need to get too caught up in that... the politics of the Nine Worlds is fairly complex, so I think that some basic groupings that just help with finding the deity you are after is sufficient. I rearranged a couple based on ultimate alliance and where they live... so yeah, I've put Heimdall and Ullr into the Aesir section. If popular demand says to move them back, I will.

(And yeah, I'm keeping the common modern spelling of the names for the purposes of the index, without accent marks 'cos I'm lazy.)
                        I came across a 'family tree' a while back that tried to plot in the most well known ones. That listed Heimdall as the son of All nine Undines, though where the information came from I don't know. I always assumed he was aesir.
                        You remind me of the babe
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Are we also playing upon the Elves as Vanir, or the theory that some of the Vanir are Alf? Frey being handed the position of ruler of Alfheim by Odin, some theories challenge that this was a move towards unionizing of people, for Frey is Alf himself. The few depictions of Alfheim tell us that it is a Land of Sun and Beauty, and Frey being the God of Sunlight, it would only make sense to give him rule over his own land and people. The depictions of the Alf's are of a beautiful people, unlike those ever seen before, but seeing as Freyja is the Goddess of beauty, would she be considered an Alf as well?
                          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                            Are we also playing upon the Elves as Vanir, or the theory that some of the Vanir are Alf? Frey being handed the position of ruler of Alfheim by Odin, some theories challenge that this was a move towards unionizing of people, for Frey is Alf himself. The few depictions of Alfheim tell us that it is a Land of Sun and Beauty, and Frey being the God of Sunlight, it would only make sense to give him rule over his own land and people. The depictions of the Alf's are of a beautiful people, unlike those ever seen before, but seeing as Freyja is the Goddess of beauty, would she be considered an Alf as well?
                            Both are considered and listed above as Vanir, and thus are of the other clan of the divine that come from the people of Vanaheim, which are the alfar. Though I would attest that Frey is much more than simply sunlight, as like many of the other gods his portfolio is much broader and more detailed than just a single realm of control, and the same would go for Freyja. If one is Vanir, the other would be as well, since they are, after all twins.

Comment

And that's what I'm eluding to; both are Alf's, making all the inhabitants of Alfheim, Vanir.
                              "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                              And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                              They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                              The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                              - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X