X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Complete List of Aesir, Vanir, and Rokkr

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
    Heimdall is Vanir? Interesting, I always thought of him as Aesir.
    I have always viewed him like Thor: Asa father, Jotun mother. They both choose to spend most of their time in Asgard and protect humans. Tyr is all Jotun but has choose Asgard as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
      I have always viewed him like Thor: Asa father, Jotun mother. They both choose to spend most of their time in Asgard and protect humans. Tyr is all Jotun but has choose Asgard as well.
      This is pretty much my opinion on all three of these gods also. Which is why I personally place them all in the Aesir category.

Comment

Holle

Someone mentioned talking about the gods we worship here. I am only going to mention Holle as the others are probably more well established and are heavy in lore. For one she would definitely be Vanir. She is not Freya or Hela as some people like to speculate, I consider her a goddess in her own right. She's involved in fertility and magic associated with healing and herbs. Herbal healing, Elder trees, some types of folk magic and flax are strongly. During the dark half of the year she is a psychopomp and rides the Wild Hunt. She can look old or middle aged. She is the main goddess in the Urglaawe tradition and we have debates about aspects of her there. She is a spinner and appears with white hair no matter which age she takes. We have wondered if she may be part of a "tribe" of white women or norns. Geese, wells, spinning flax and children also come up with her. It is said she is the model for Mother Goose. I do all my house cleaning to her. I often leave tea for her, regular and mugwort. I try to use raw honey and nothing processed for her.
        Last edited by Rae'ya; 22 Nov 2015, 17:46. Reason: Added easy to read deity name.

Comment

I've added a title and linked the index so this can be the 'Holle' section.

I've never worked with Frau Holle (aka Hulda) myself, as I think I'm too lazy to even attempt it... I have a feeling I'd be one of the girls who would be sent home covered in pitch! I have always seen her considered one of the Vanir, even though her origins are sketchy and it's possible she's not originally from the Nine Worlds at all. I've heard that children who die as babies go to stay with Frau Holle, and her main story has her rewarding a girl who is kind and hardworking, and punishing a girl who is lazy and selfish.

I actually find Frau Holle a really interesting goddess, and like Ula, I don't subscribe to the idea that she is an aspect of Hela, Frigg or Freyja. I think she is a goddess in her own right, perhaps growing from humbler beginnings as a folk tale figure.

Comment

Working...
          X