This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History and Prehistory of Religion

a couple years old, but still interesting: https://www.apollon.uio.no/english/a...n-english.html
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: History and Prehistory of Religion

This is amazing. Thank you for posting it. I have a course wishlisted about ancient religions; I can't wait to buy it.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

You are welcome!

the prehistory of religion (and the evolution that got us there) is one of my many hobbies...if I find more, I'll post it!
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Please do! I study religion as a hobby, and I'm particularly interested in the ancient ones that were mostly lost to time.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Myself and my ragtag group of history nerds thank you for this, like Habbi I love this kind of thing. Post more and I'll lap it up ;P

Go Go Origen!

I'm always looking for new and cool book and food recommendations, feel free to message me ;P

Comment

I was looking up New Religious Movements (NRMs), and found this interesting article: 10 New Religions That Were Mercilessly Crushed.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I haven't watched this yet, but: http://www.ted.com/talks/genevieve_v...social-science
              sigpic

Comment

That will put things on their head for a bit. I enjoy articles like this so thank you very much thalassa. Does make you wonder though how many other discoveries simply are awaiting to be re-discovered at other sites now?
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  That will put things on their head for a bit. I enjoy articles like this so thank you very much thalassa.
                  You're welcome!

Does make you wonder though how many other discoveries simply are awaiting to be re-discovered at other sites now?
                  Heck yes! Also, how much has been lost.

I don't know what the statistics are for human remains, but when I took paleobiology (about 15 year ago) the idea that there was a "better chance of winning the lotto than becoming a fossil" was drilled into our heads. The bias that is created by the randomness of what is preserved is something that I try to remember when I look at historic Paganisms. And the further you go back, there is even less chance that we have a representative sample.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X