This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History and Prehistory of Religion

a couple years old, but still interesting: https://www.apollon.uio.no/english/a...n-english.html
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: History and Prehistory of Religion

This is amazing. Thank you for posting it. I have a course wishlisted about ancient religions; I can't wait to buy it.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

You are welcome!

the prehistory of religion (and the evolution that got us there) is one of my many hobbies...if I find more, I'll post it!
      “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
      ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
      ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

sigpic

Comment

Please do! I study religion as a hobby, and I'm particularly interested in the ancient ones that were mostly lost to time.
        “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Myself and my ragtag group of history nerds thank you for this, like Habbi I love this kind of thing. Post more and I'll lap it up ;P

Go Go Origen!

I'm always looking for new and cool book and food recommendations, feel free to message me ;P

Comment

I was looking up New Religious Movements (NRMs), and found this interesting article: 10 New Religions That Were Mercilessly Crushed.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I haven't watched this yet, but: http://www.ted.com/talks/genevieve_v...social-science

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

That will put things on their head for a bit. I enjoy articles like this so thank you very much thalassa. Does make you wonder though how many other discoveries simply are awaiting to be re-discovered at other sites now?
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  That will put things on their head for a bit. I enjoy articles like this so thank you very much thalassa.
                  You're welcome!

Does make you wonder though how many other discoveries simply are awaiting to be re-discovered at other sites now?
                  Heck yes! Also, how much has been lost.

I don't know what the statistics are for human remains, but when I took paleobiology (about 15 year ago) the idea that there was a "better chance of winning the lotto than becoming a fossil" was drilled into our heads. The bias that is created by the randomness of what is preserved is something that I try to remember when I look at historic Paganisms. And the further you go back, there is even less chance that we have a representative sample.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X