Worshiping Video Game gods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worshiping Video Game gods?

Just wondering if anyone actually worship video game deities. I mean, there a lot of things being worshiped like a spaghetti monster and the force from star wars.

War never changes.

Re: Worshiping Video Game gods?

If I'm not mistaken, that falls under the realm of Chaos magic, and wouldn't be surprised if there's people here or there who worship them.

Comment

There are a few followers of the God-Emperor of Man floating around though they haven't posted in a while. Granted, 40K extends over all kinds of media but the GEoM is referenced in various video games as well as books, RPGs and tabletop strategy games.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
        If I'm not mistaken, that falls under the realm of Chaos magic
        Or pop culture paganism.

I don't know of anyone who actually worships video game gods, but I have read blog posts on the subject of video game gods and how and why one might worship them. Pretty interesting.

Comment

I don't know any personally, but there have been some games with interesting and compelling pantheon. I can see why one would be drawn to them. Apparently, "Praise the sun!" from Dark Souls has caught on, but I think that's more of a meme/fan thing than actual worship.
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

You might find that many of the gods in video games are based off of real ones from various cultures. I am willing to say that most gods in video games are based off of something because the creators have to draw ideas and influence from somewhere.
            A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

I'm a hard polytheist, so I wouldn't actually worship a video game god, but I can absolutely, 100% see how video game gods (just like any pop culture icon) could be useful and profound manifestations of a more soft-poly, pantheist or Archetype worldview. Technically, the way I see it, I could actually work with video game gods if I wanted to, while being a hard polytheist... because the video game gods would be ways for my brain to categorise, organise and put a name to certain Archetypal concepts from the human group consciousness (as opposed to being actual gods). It just wouldn't be 'worship'.

I have flirted with the idea of trying out something like this with the Daedric Princes from the Elder Scrolls Universe (hah, I'm a Demonolator even in the realm of fake gods!) I've spent what probably amounts to thousands of hours immersed in the Elder Scrolls universe over the last fifteen years (four games)... some of the Daedric Princes (and several of the Aedra) are as familiar to me as the actual gods that I work with. I can absolutely see why this is an attractive prospect for people.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                I'm a hard polytheist, so I wouldn't actually worship a video game god, but I can absolutely, 100% see how video game gods (just like any pop culture icon) could be useful and profound manifestations of a more soft-poly, pantheist or Archetype worldview. Technically, the way I see it, I could actually work with video game gods if I wanted to, while being a hard polytheist... because the video game gods would be ways for my brain to categorise, organise and put a name to certain Archetypal concepts from the human group consciousness (as opposed to being actual gods). It just wouldn't be 'worship'.

I have flirted with the idea of trying out something like this with the Daedric Princes from the Elder Scrolls Universe (hah, I'm a Demonolator even in the realm of fake gods!) I've spent what probably amounts to thousands of hours immersed in the Elder Scrolls universe over the last fifteen years (four games)... some of the Daedric Princes (and several of the Aedra) are as familiar to me as the actual gods that I work with. I can absolutely see why this is an attractive prospect for people.
                At first glance of this topic I wanted to just be all 'no!'
                But your well explained thought process seems sound. I mean from a non theist, I already assume Thor is as fake as I dunno Mario whatever his last name is, does he have a last name? Does Thor? I digress. I figure Thor was probably seen as a pop culture icon during his time (whichever time that would be). So yeah. Roll with it. I'm a Satanist. But the view I have in my head of the Satan I use as an archetype is pretty much Milton's view. Or sometimes Jon Lovit's.

What I do always wonder is does the person who is using that image know it's not real? Like not when they tell you yeah, it's real. And they wear their cloak and whatever stuff. But like to themselves. In the dark. Where the 'no bs' stuff lives. Where you sometimes we don't want to go because knowing it's all just made up might totally cause us to loose faith. So we just live in the pretend I believe world. Living in there long enough, hoping no one questions so then I don't question and then end up as an atheist.

That stuff above is my actual experience with getting out of the pretending I had a belief in a deity at the time.

Sorry if I just rambled away. I just sorta woke up from a nap and watching Constantine.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                  At first glance of this topic I wanted to just be all 'no!'
                  But your well explained thought process seems sound. I mean from a non theist, I already assume Thor is as fake as I dunno Mario whatever his last name is, does he have a last name? Does Thor? I digress. I figure Thor was probably seen as a pop culture icon during his time (whichever time that would be). So yeah. Roll with it. I'm a Satanist. But the view I have in my head of the Satan I use as an archetype is pretty much Milton's view. Or sometimes Jon Lovit's.

What I do always wonder is does the person who is using that image know it's not real? Like not when they tell you yeah, it's real. And they wear their cloak and whatever stuff. But like to themselves. In the dark. Where the 'no bs' stuff lives. Where you sometimes we don't want to go because knowing it's all just made up might totally cause us to loose faith. So we just live in the pretend I believe world. Living in there long enough, hoping no one questions so then I don't question and then end up as an atheist.

That stuff above is my actual experience with getting out of the pretending I had a belief in a deity at the time.

Sorry if I just rambled away. I just sorta woke up from a nap and watching Constantine.
                  There is also the fact that for some people, they are actually more immersed in the lore of their video game gods than the lore of real world gods. Because if you're a gamer, you live those games for those hours that you're playing. The lore specifically relates to you (in the guise of your character) in ways that mythology just can't. So if you're looking at it from a purely atheistic viewpoint, where ALL gods are fake and video games are just the new generation of storytelling... in a lot of ways it actually makes more sense to 'worship' a video game god then a real world god.

As for the other bit... it depends. Most people who I've seen who work with pop culture icons (from video games, books, movies, cartoons etc) know that they don't exist outside of those stories. I'm not gonna say 'aren't real', because that just gets us back to the reality of gods debate... and in answer to that, I love Thalassa's story about Phee and Tinkerbell. Even if something doesn't exist in this physical world, it can be 'real' in ways that profoundly affect the psyche. Fictitious characters affect us in all sorts of ways. So what it comes down to is not whether the figure is real, but whether it's effect on us is real.

Is Satan real? As far as you're concerned, no he isn't. But that doesn't stop you being affected by him, his mythology and the worldview that someone created from that mythology and symbolism.

Comment

True. What sits at the back of my head is when a lot of that 'let's go for real' stuff affects us in very very very bad ways. As in the news of late. I mean yeah, no one has been murdered in the name of Spyro. But you know I just have that fear. History and facts of that history has shown us people aren't always so smart in how they deal with their make believe stuff. :=I:
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Not video games, per se....but under the wider umbrella of pop culture, yes.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Hypothetical question: Would worship in a video game be counted as actual worship?
                        baah.

Comment

"The idea is to be whispering, and not to gain the attention from the flock, but to get attention from the individuals. That's why I relate it to whispering. It's not something you can put on a big scale; you can't get sheep to attend to it. You need to have people who can stand for themselves. It is important to have a lot of space for yourself to be able to grow strong branches, which can stand in the most extreme surroundings."

Gaahl

Comment

I meant both, specially on the blurred line when your character does something but you as a real life person are involved with it. Because I suppose everyone has a tiny bit of themselves in their character and we do get all kinds of emotional responses from gaming, so why not also spiritual ones?
                            baah.

Comment

So,is there a posted cheat to move the Joy stick certain ways to cause your input to be a prayer to this cyber deity.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X