Battling Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battling Addiction

I apologize if this is in the wrong space.

Could you please suggest entities that are good to work with in the realm of battling addiction? Alcoholism in specific, if it matters.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Battling Addiction

The demon Buer is often called upon for help with alcohol and drug addiction. I haven't worked with him personally (as I don't consume alcohol) but I know of another sorcerer (non-satanist) who did and apparently he was very kind and helpful.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
      The demon Buer is often called upon for help with alcohol and drug addiction. I haven't worked with him personally (as I don't consume alcohol) but I know of another sorcerer (non-satanist) who did and apparently he was very kind and helpful.
      Thank you very much for this, but I'm not comfortable working with demons yet at this point on my path.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Addiction is the most insidious demon there is.

Avoid demons in this - conflict of interest.

I would look for a guardian squirrel...

...or a wombat.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

As a practitioner of Northern Traditions, the only words of wisdom I can leave you is that change starts within your self. If there is something within your life that bothers you, or is destructive to you in its nature, purge it. Plant the seed of change, this is the ideal of bettering yourself, this is the voice that says "Enough."
          Nurture the seed, and give it respect. With the problem being drinking, make a list of things to do when you crave. This can be as simple as reading, or going on a walk. Remove yourself from poisonous situations. Your mind is the true determinater of whether or not your seed will flourish. This is your will power I speak of, the strong voice in your mind that destroys the feeble cravings. Addiction is a terror that can creep and fester, but you have the power to destroy it with the right mind set.
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I appreciate your words, Norse, but I'm not the one with the addiction.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I would imagine any healing deity. Danvantri from the Vedic Pantheon, or Sekhmet from the Egyptian Pantheon (she will probably show the person the brutality that comes with alcoholism but guide them with love as she is the Goddess of Battle and Medicine). In all honesty, it's up to the person to face their addiction and just ask for divine guidance from the Pure Source. Maybe you can help them design a prayer or daily ritual to no specific entity but to the loving and healing aspect of Creation.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                Could you please suggest entities that are good to work with in the realm of battling addiction? Alcoholism in specific, if it matters.
                Have you tried more conventional routes?
                Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                  Have you tried more conventional routes?
                  The one with the addiction isn't myself. The person with the addiction is doing more conventional routes, but I wanted to see if they could get a little help.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Having been a booze hound in my younger years,I have a little insight. What finely worked for me,was that huge wake up call. Not the best way to find your way out of drinking to excess,but it did the trick. I was wasted beyound imagining and ended up going down a flight of stairs,and through a glass door. Woke up 3 days later in a hospital...That was the beginning of my enough is enough awakening. Not saying almost dieing is a good way to see the light,but before this I did not even feel I cared if I lived or died.

One thing is paramount,and is repeated over and over in AA,You have to want it(sobriety) not because of someone else,but you MUST want it for YOU,Period!

Until it is for your own self,the craving will return if the person you did it for is gone.

Just my personal journey into and out of the Bottle.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Habbs, it may sound counter intuitive, but I've heard of people working with Dionysus. Also Ascelpus...really any healing deity. Also maybe to look at deities of transformation or with good control or ones that have overcome madness or obstacles.

If they are Pagan, I've seen a few Pagan-friendly "12 steps" interpretations....not sure if it's active, but at one time, I think there was a virtual Pagan AA-ish group.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                        I apologize if this is in the wrong space.

Christ? The Christ is a familiar deity to begin working with for many Westerners. The Christ allows people to reach outside their own perceived capabilities. The deity is seen as indwelling and always accessible without the need for any special ceremony to make contact. As I'm sure you're aware, addiction is a web. It takes hold before the victim realises it. Although I totally agree with Anunitu in that the person has to want to let go of addiction for their own sake, outside help is often required. I recommend the program Teen Challenge for teens and young adults. 5 of my friends have been through that program and it made a huge difference to them and their families. It re-established the family connection and widened my friends social skills and contacts so they were able to let go of harmful relationships.* It's important that the person understands the Christ from the point of grace and freedom instead of judgement and condemnation.

The other thing this person could try is Taoism or something similar that would involve the idea of Karma and balance - doing nothing in excess. The pain of battling addiction within frameworks like these is seen as a 'burning away' of unhealthy attachments or Karma. So, the mind is trained to see the pain as a thing to be embraced rather than relieved.

*the program my friends graduated from was based in Queensland, Australia. I'm unsure if all centres deliver their programs the same way.**

**the asterisks, I've been reading Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Habbs, it may sound counter intuitive, but I've heard of people working with Dionysus. Also Ascelpus...really any healing deity. Also maybe to look at deities of transformation or with good control or ones that have overcome madness or obstacles.

If they are Pagan, I've seen a few Pagan-friendly "12 steps" interpretations....not sure if it's active, but at one time, I think there was a virtual Pagan AA-ish group.
                          Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                          Christ? The Christ is a familiar deity to begin working with for many Westerners. The Christ allows people to reach outside their own perceived capabilities. The deity is seen as indwelling and always accessible without the need for any special ceremony to make contact. As I'm sure you're aware, addiction is a web. It takes hold before the victim realises it. <snip>
                          Thal: They're not pagan, but they do go to actual AA. They are trying, but there's been a lot of stress for them lately, so AA has been less often and drinking more often.

Azvanna: In honesty, I feel a bit weird about the idea of working with Jesus Christ, because I turned my back on Christianity almost twenty years ago. But, this is about me, not them, and said person is a Christian.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

In honesty, I feel a bit weird about the idea of working with Jesus Christ, because I turned my back on Christianity almost twenty years ago. But, this is about me, not them, and said person is a Christian.
                            I assumed the person would be working with the deity, but will you be working on their behalf?
                            What will your role be in their recovery?

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                              I assumed the person would be working with the deity, but will you be working on their behalf?
                              What will your role be in their recovery?
                              I've been helping said person with their recovery on the physical realm (checking in with them about drinking, going over AA material, talking about their feelings), but I wanted to ask an entity to help with a guiding hand during their recovery.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                              X