X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas on a Budget

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    ...you have a son?! I somehow missed this.

- - - Updated - - -

Also atheist. Still celebrate Christmas. Suck it.
    Oh I celebrate all the good stuff. But I don't buy presents. I eat all the foods. Drink all the drinks. Watch all the claymation cartoons. Only when I had my mom did I buy her gifts. Other than that I usually just pick something to buy meeeee!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

...you have a son?! I somehow missed this.
      Indeed, his name is Jean-Luc.

15894_10203778935061087_1148262268832079977_n.jpg

Comment

Also atheist. Still celebrate Christmas. Suck it.
        Hahah yeah. I'm not atheist, but almost all of my friends and family are (those that aren't are agnostic). Every single one of them still celebrates Christmas and exchanges gifts.

Comment

Well, apple pie bourbon and mint bourbon have been started. Cherry bourbon is on the docket for later tonight when the boy brings me over some cherries from his freezer.

And I made peppermint sugar scrub and lemon sugar scrubs last night.

Today I went out and got a few little things:
          - children's book for the best friend's daughter
          - some xmas fabric to sew handwarmers with (plus a big bag of rice)
          - flavoured hot chocolate stocking stuffer type things. $1 each, and my family dies for them
          - some random snacks to toss in there

I really should sit down with a list of who is getting what. So far, I just have a list of who I'd like to gift things to, and then a giant list of homemade things I want to make. I should consolidate the two.

Mostly art.

Comment

So KP has decided he wants to do handmade gifts this year and I don't know what to make him. As I said before I'm not very crafty and though we like make food items and liquor for other people its really not something I want to make for him. So please keep the ideas coming.
            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

It's somewhat hard for me to get X-Mas gifts. I do mail Christmas cards every year since most of my family are Catholic or Christians, but I do keep a look out for generalized cards. Some that have Santa, things like that, or some that say 'Happy Holidays' instead of the generic 'Merry Christmas.' This year I am being crafty. I am knitting my nephew a wool blanket in seven colors. I also get him a Dr. Seuss book every year. I am making my parents a scrapbook. I am getting my sister and her husband a gift card. I am also getting one of my friends a gift card as well. This year is just going to be hard. Anyway, that is what I plan to do for X-Mas.
              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

The state-funded museums had a book sale this weekend, where they put up a lot of the unsold books from the museum gift shops on sale at steeply reduced prices. I got a few gifts for H's family there (who are all intellectuals and incredibly hard to buy/make gifts for).

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  The state-funded museums had a book sale this weekend, where they put up a lot of the unsold books from the museum gift shops on sale at steeply reduced prices. I got a few gifts for H's family there (who are all intellectuals and incredibly hard to buy/make gifts for).
                  That was lucky, museum books are great!
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    That was lucky, museum books are great!
                    I saw it on Facebook! Finally, following the state museums on Facebook paid off!

Comment

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
                      So KP has decided he wants to do handmade gifts this year and I don't know what to make him. As I said before I'm not very crafty and though we like make food items and liquor for other people its really not something I want to make for him. So please keep the ideas coming.
                      Buy pocket knife. Engrave his name on the handle.

Mostly art.

Comment

Buy pocket knife. Engrave his name on the handle.

oooh....thi might be a good idea for the "from the kids to daddy" gift
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

My wife wants a low table/cabinet to put plants on in the library and wants four doors for storage in it. I will be trying to make it for her.
                          I installed two lights in the ceiling in the library because it didn't have ceiling lights at all. Now it can be used as a classroom. I repainted it with the colors my wife chose. So those are our yule gifts to each other this year.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

The V.A. had a toy drive for the children of veterans. I was able to pick up Jean-Luc a few cool things. I got him this huge Tobka dump truck, a puzzle floor mat, and same gadget that does colors and shapes.....I'm not sure what it does, really.

Comment

I got my parents and brother all a resqme. It cost me ten bucks a piece and cuts seat belts and easily breaks car windows In case you are in an accident and the car catches fire and you can't get out, or if you end up in the water. Fits right on a key chain.

I also got them a few other things. My mom the first four seasons of the good wife, which she said she wanted months ago cause she's missed episodes. My dad I got a history channel box set that is like 17 DVDs worth of History Channel shows I know he missed. Probably a video game for my brother. I couldn't help but buy myself an eye of Horus necklace, for 9 bucks, while I was at it, as I'm not asking for anything but gift cards from them so I can pool it with money I get from my grandparents every year and buy one of the new versions of the Nintendo 3DS.

I'm actually excited for Christmas this year as I took myself out of the gift giving pool the last few years, cause I didn't want to save for it. At first I figured I would be rewarded with something nice, like I bought it myself, if I participated, but since, I've been reminded how nice it is to think back on things they've shown interest in, and give them something they might enjoy. I've found I really enjoy that. It's the spirit of giving I guess.

Plus I won't have to spend another Christmas all depressed, while I watch them get gifts they really want while I just get small things like socks and scratch off lottery tickets.

Thanks for putting up with my somewhat off topic post.

Comment

Working...
                              X