What happens when you die?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when you die?

I'd be interested to hear about your ideas and beliefs.

I veer from agnosticism to scepticism on this question. In my more agnostic moments I think of reincarnation as an intriguing possibility, particularly bearing in mind all the cyclical patterns which occur in the natural world. In my more sceptical moments it seems like people fear death as final extinction and so have a strong emotional need to believe in some kind of continuation.

What are your thoughts?
    Once a man, like the sea I raged;
    Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
    And there is in fact more earth than sea.
    Genesis lyric

Re: What happens when you die?

While I actually have no real idea of what happens after death, I live under the assumption that dead is dead.

To me, this seems like the best course to take - it means that the life I live now, and the lives of those I interact with, has maximum value. Thinking in this way keeps me from doing stupid things - to myself and others - in the name of something I don't know is real.

THIS is real, that I do know.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Or is it?

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
        I veer from agnosticism to scepticism on this question. In my more agnostic moments I think of reincarnation as an intriguing possibility, particularly bearing in mind all the cyclical patterns which occur in the natural world. In my more sceptical moments it seems like people fear death as final extinction and so have a strong emotional need to believe in some kind of continuation.
        I have a similar belief regarding reincarnation. Most things in nature (can't say everything for sure) have cyclical patterns, so that's why reincarnation seems most logic to me. I've never believed in any other forms of afterlife, like heaven or summerlands. It's not very logic to me. So it's either reincarnation or just nothing after life. I don't fear death, because if there is nothing after this life, then that won't be bothering me after I die. If there is something like reincarnation, then I won't remember my past life. So it's really no use fearing anything. Also, I don't think a lot about afterlifes or death, because I'm to occupied with life.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
          Or is it?

Smart aleck. I knew somebody would bring something like that up!

Let's just say that, since I feel/experience it, and it is the only thing I can objectify, it's real enough for me...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I dunno. That's the shortened version of what most posts below me will be. Unless they actually do know, then I wanna know!
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Myself just hoping it entails peace..no burning afterlife,and maybe no perfect harmony dull as dirt thing..just peace and quiet.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                I dunno.
                Good answer!
                Genesis lyric

Comment

I'm joining the "dunno" club. I used to be really obsessed with this theme so it's really refreshing not to know a thing.

And then probably someone burns me up or puts me to the ground. Or my body, corpse, earthy vessel however you perceive it.
                  baah.

Comment

I will transform into the overlord of darkness and rule the world.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I don't believe I am definitely right, but I also believe that I will return to the Earth, and the condition of the Earth will be my health. I may, to an extent, be able to influence things for people or for whole regions, much as ancestors may have been believed to affect the very earth they were buried in. No I don't believe I'll become a god (or maybe I will, in a sense?) but my outlook teaches me to respect the Earth, because of I abuse it, and promote abuse, I will pay for it in the long run, along with others dead and those who live after me. I will return to the Earth and become a contributor to it. I will not become separated from this reality, I won't go to another place, it will be like being on the other side of a window, that's all.
                      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                      But that day you know I left my money
                      And I thought of you only
                      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
                        I will not become separated from this reality, I won't go to another place, it will be like being on the other side of a window, that's all.
                        So do you mean becoming a spirit, something like that?
                        Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                          So do you mean becoming a spirit, something like that?
                          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                          But that day you know I left my money
                          And I thought of you only
                          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

For this discussion, I think it's useful to...

Define:

Personhood
                            Identity
                            Learning and memory

Distinguish:

Belief
                            Hope

Consider motivational factors, particularly:

Fear

Comment

I've had a lot of different ideas about this but what I believe now is: In my mind, I'll re-live everything, but mostly the good things, the moments that stand out in memory, like a dream that goes on forever.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
                              X