What to do with feral cats in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with feral cats in winter

Me being intentionally controversial yet again...

Seven Ways To Help Stray Or Feral Cats Survive The Winter

But I can't help it - I have a soft heart, and it isn't their fault they got dumped.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: What to do with feral cats in winter

I already bring in deer, bear and elk to warm them up, (the grill works very well) but I see no reason to step in where nature is selecting the hardiest to survive.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
      I already bring in deer, bear and elk to warm them up, (the grill works very well) but I see no reason to step in where nature is selecting the hardiest to survive.
      Very impressive! You are a hugely manly-man!
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I had a page come up in my Facebook (because I follow a whole bunch of TNR and feral rescue pages) about making easy and cheap shelters out of those plastic totes. http://alleycatadvocates.org/communi...nter-shelters/

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
          I had a page come up in my Facebook (because I follow a whole bunch of TNR and feral rescue pages) about making easy and cheap shelters out of those plastic totes. http://alleycatadvocates.org/communi...nter-shelters/
          When Old Mr. Jenkins was around, we made a safe, warm space in the garage for him until we figured he was too old to survive another Michigan winter, then we brought him into the house.

Generally, we leave the garage door open a bit as a critter shelter (we don't keep cars in the garage) in the winter.

Comment

Maybe what you are doing is appropriate for the US but down here feral cats are, plain and simply, a scourge on the native wildlife.
            I am proud to have personally reduced the population through a .22
            The number of species they are driving to the edge of extinction here is appalling. We would be far better off if people were aloud to breed and keep Quolls as pets. They hunt mice and smaller rats and are native

*sighs* Stupid government.

My other pet hate is the Damned foxes. At leas you can eat Rabbit. Fox and cat .... lets just say not for me.

Comment

Nope - they're a "scourge" here, too.

But some of us don't much care.

Comment

I agree it's not their fault they got dumped and bred more. The people who do so should be shot. As a lifelong birder, I do what I can to keep them off my property. (cats AND people LOL)
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

LOL - the predicted controversy arrives...

Comment

Haha! There's no controversy at all. You do what you want on your property and I'll do what I want on mine.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      Haha! There's no controversy at all. You do what you want on your property and I'll do what I want on mine.
                      That's the attitude I like. This is something I can agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                        but I see no reason to step in where nature is selecting the hardiest to survive.
                        Isn't that exactly what you're doing?

In rural south of England, I have never seen a feral or stray animal. I guess, last year I saw a dog I didn't recognize in the woods out the back of my parents' house, but that was it. Didn't see it again, so maybe it's neighbour was nearby.

Afaic, only help it through the winter if you're going to neuter/spay it. There are enough pets in the world as it is. Sure, take it in and help it if it wants, but be responsible. These modern breeds are not designed to endure harsh winters, and it is sad that they are dumped, but they are a risk to themselves, other animals and other people.
                        I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                        Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                        But that day you know I left my money
                        And I thought of you only
                        All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Yeah, ferals are a problem. I might not have shot any, but I'm certainly happy some feral cats got caught in the poisoned meat trap we had for a fox once ... I advocate responsible pet ownership, and the eradication of ferals. It should be noted, however, that I acknowledge the difference between ferals and strays. One can be rescued, taught that he/she is safe, and be ready to be a pet once more ... the other has to be re-domesticated all over again, and will never quite be fully domesticated, and that's just the ones that have gone feral. The ones that are born feral are almost impossible to domesticate at all. Trust me, I did the research, since I had to if I wanted a cat when I was little ... I had to know the consequences if I didn't take care of it, not just to me, but to the cat, the neighbourhood, and the wildlife in the area. Grandma, who I was living with at the time, was big on knowing the consequences of my actions. She also let me name the ducks and chooks ... as long as I remembered that they were food. That's why we were going after the fox - it had been getting everyone's chooks, so a few of the adults in the area chipped in with buying and maintaining a trap, rigged with poisoned meat. I also saw the consequences of ferals for myself, out there. Everyone there was responsible with their pets, so there was only one reason for the possums to be left dead on the ground, and foxes and dogs bury any meat they don't eat.
                          Yeah, guess who lived on the edge of a country town.

Comment

Working...
                          X