Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide updates Faerun to the year 1491 DR. Eilistraee isn't only mentioned, she receives a paragraph of information (more than what many other non human deities get), that describe her as one of the deities that the drow currently worship (in the drow race section). The book states that during the Sundering most of the deities that were thought dead or gone, have returned to life, and the lists most of the gods that are currently active, Eilistraee being among them. The book doesn't however bother to explain how most deities came back, it just handwaves the matter with the Sundering. Sadly, this has become a trend with 5e: things are back, but the how it is left unexplained.

Eilistraee's return had been confirmed even before the SCAG, though. She is mentioned as one of the deities with whom Mystra is currently sharing the Weave in Ed Greenwood's Spellstorm, meaning that she must be alive. Ed Greenwood has also personally clarified on that, saying that not only Eilistraee, but Vhaeraun too, are back (Ed's original words can be found in the ''Questions for Ed Greenwood 2015" thread, over the Candlekeep forums):

Spoiler!

Ed Greenwood has also provided an explanation to Eilistraee's and Vhaeraun's return. I'll link it as well, but keep in mind that, while Ed's lore is normally canon, in what follows, only the information about the post 1489 DR time can be considered official:

Also, Eilistraee and Vhaeraun learned from each other during the time spent as the ''Masked Lady''. After 1489 DR not only, as I said, they have reached a kind of friendship, but they have smoothed some rough edges. For example, Eilistraee now normally has male clergy, while Vhaeraun has chosen a less overtly evil path, and now supports his followers to actually integrate among the other races, when it is profitable to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

My apologies for the double post, I thought that the other one was lost
    Last edited by Mk2scorpion; 10 Dec 2015, 09:59.

Comment

It wasn't lost but it was invisible and because I haven't been looking for auto-modded posts recently, I didn't realize it till your second post was up. Site filters occasionally stick posts in a mod queue for review by staff before releasing them to the full board but auto-modded posts

a. Are rare these days
      b. Don't show up in the new posts area

so we don't always notice them immediately.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

JP has a small and close online friendship group. Several months ago, they started doing campaigns together online via Skype. JP soon emerged as the permanent DM on account of being good at doing voices and really getting onto the roles of the npcs. Anyway, a few weeks ago I joined their current adventure. It's the first time I've played with proper rules. I'd played just once before, with JP and our offline friends, but we didn't really know what we were doing. It was just a bit of drunken fun!

I'm finding all the stats and charts a bit overwhelming (I hate numbers), I struggle to keep up with the story because of my poor attention span, and I'm painfully shy, staying quiet most of the time. I'm seeing these obsticles as a good thing though. It's a chance to develop new skills, and that apparently helps overall cognitive ability. Besides, it's nice to have a reason to close the textbooks one or two nights a week!
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

If anyone is interested in play by post, alongside a satirical webcomic on the intricacies of the system, you have; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forum.php, for all of your dungeons and dragons needs. Oddly enough, it also has the only good homebrew that I've ever seen (intermixed with the bad, of course).

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
            If anyone is interested in play by post, alongside a satirical webcomic on the intricacies of the system, you have; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forum.php, for all of your dungeons and dragons needs. Oddly enough, it also has the only good homebrew that I've ever seen (intermixed with the bad, of course).
            Herbert what's your Giant In The Playground username?

Comment

Ok I decide that I want to play my character as a Level 1 Neutral Good Male Drow Fighter and I name him Patrick Club.

Comment

Can anyone give me some advice please? JP's birthday is getting close and I'm thinking of getting him a new dungeon masters guide because the one he has is apparently very old now.

My question is therefore, what is the the latest edition of the guide and is it worth getting it or are they about to update again soon?

There's too much information online and it's hard to know how up to date it is so I thought an insider who already keeps up to date with the game would be the best person to ask.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Latest is 5E. I haven't been paying much attention to WotC recently so I don't know if plans for 6E are in motion yet.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                    Latest is 5E. I haven't been paying much attention to WotC recently so I don't know if plans for 6E are in motion yet.
                    Thanks for that. I'll go see what I can dig up then.

While I'm in this thread I may as well mention that I've started watching the d&d campaigns on yogscast live. It's a really addictive form of storytelling, although each 'episode' is around 3 hours long so takes some stamina to watch in one go. Great for lazy afternoons like this one though!

Comment

The last time I played THAC0 was still a thing. Are the new editions worth getting into?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        The last time I played THAC0 was still a thing. Are the new editions worth getting into?
                        5th edition is just about the most balanced thing I've seen in an RPG. It's very well-constructed--a pared-down 3.5e but not making the same mistakes that 4e did when it attempted that very thing. It's actually brought in a few ideas from my favouring d20 system game: d20 Modern.

Comment

Hey everybody. Guess what? I'm finally going to play Dungeons and Dragons Version 3.5 Edition with my friend and other people at Giant In The Playground Forum. I'm going to use My male drow fighter character.

Comment

Cool. Hope you have fun BMH. I like the drow for some reason. Probably because the drow warlock in the campaign I'm following on youtube has become such a well-developed and interesting character.

I think I'm addicted to listening to campaigns while I work, or even as I'm falling asleep. I think it's similar to Medusa's liking for audio books. It's a different process to reading from a page. I just pop on the headphones and let my imagination take me off to another world. Everything plays out like a movie in my

I have a great amount of respect for a talented DM. They're like modern bards. To paint such enthralling stories on the spot from minimal notes.. it's a fascinating and yet tragically undervalued art form.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              Cool. Hope you have fun BMH. I like the drow for some reason. Probably because the drow warlock in the campaign I'm following on youtube has become such a well-developed and interesting character.

I think I'm addicted to listening to campaigns while I work, or even as I'm falling asleep. I think it's similar to Medusa's liking for audio books. It's a different process to reading from a page. I just pop on the headphones and let my imagination take me off to another world. Everything plays out like a movie in my

I have a great amount of respect for a talented DM. They're like modern bards. To paint such enthralling stories on the spot from minimal notes.. it's a fascinating and yet tragically undervalued art form.
                              Nice. Just to let you know this Is my very first Dungeons and Dragons game. I'm so happy I got a very well diverse party and a nice Dungeon Master. I see how this goes and keep you updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                                Nice. Just to let you know this Is my very first Dungeons and Dragons game. I'm so happy I got a very well diverse party and a nice Dungeon Master. I see how this goes and keep you updated.
                                All the years I played D&D or AD&D I discovered it was the Dungeon Master (DM) who actually made and broke the game. The party made it enjoyable during game play as to character but the DM he / she was the hand that guided and laid out the game world and development / flow. A good DM challenged you and rewarded or punished as it were but also made the challenge that brought you back each game day. If he / she sucked then the party couldn't bring you back no matter how hard they may have wanted to play.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X