Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dungeons And Dragons Discussion Thread

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    All the years I played D&D or AD&D I discovered it was the Dungeon Master (DM) who actually made and broke the game. The party made it enjoyable during game play as to character but the DM he / she was the hand that guided and laid out the game world and development / flow. A good DM challenged you and rewarded or punished as it were but also made the challenge that brought you back each game day. If he / she sucked then the party couldn't bring you back no matter how hard they may have wanted to play.
    I understand where you coming from. But the DM where I'm playing happened to be a D&D 3.5 veteran. He's very fair and try to balanced out the fame which I heard that D& D 3.5 Edition is very unbalanced.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 29 Aug 2016, 05:29.

Comment

Hey everybody. Since I'm having fun playing D&D Version 3.5 edition. I'm going to write a Dungeons and Dragons fan-fiction story featuring one of my characters of the game, Patrick Club. He's going to lead a reformed Drow party as they battle evil races such a gnolls, evil high elves and of course orcs. This story will be very exciting. Keep an eye out of my writing thread when I post my story.

Comment

I'm running a 5e campaign right now- an inexperienced DM running inexperienced PC's- it's going so well, I know. Right now I'm in the process of killing a barbarian, because he's the strategist, and I think his style would be better suited as literally any other class, and shaking my head at the poor, unfortunate paladin with a wisdom of 4.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        My question is therefore, what is the the latest edition of the guide and is it worth getting it or are they about to update again soon?

As far as I can tell, the newest is 5e, and the two most common seem to be 5e and 3.5. It doesn't really matter if a newer one comes out though, because it seems like most players pick an edition they like, and will hold onto it to their grave, no matter what new edition comes out- sort of the antithesis of Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
          As far as I can tell, the newest is 5e, and the two most common seem to be 5e and 3.5. It doesn't really matter if a newer one comes out though, because it seems like most players pick an edition they like, and will hold onto it to their grave, no matter what new edition comes out- sort of the antithesis of Apple.
          Thanks. maskedone already answered so we have the new guides now.. was a little while ago that I asked! Thanks all the same though.

Actually, there was something I was meaning to come back and post about and your post reminded me.

All the years I played D&D or AD&D I discovered it was the Dungeon Master (DM) who actually made and broke the game..
          I couldn't agree more. There is a real art to DMing that is rarely appreciated. A good DM makes it look easy, and I think that's precisely why there are so many poor DMs... people see a good DM and think 'ha, I can do that...' some can of course, but plenty just can't. Of course, this is just my opinion and totally subjective.

When it comes to the players though, while I agree that a good DM can make even the shyest or least imaginative player contribute meaningfully to the campaign, what really kills a game in my opinion is metagaming because it ruins the narrative, makes the characters behave in unrealistic ways and just ruins the immersion for everyone else.

Especially the people who try to correct the DM, flicking through the monster manual or whatever, get on my nerves. I couldn't care less what the manual says. The DM is god and his word is final. You're in HIS world now and your character doesn't know anything about the creature you're encountering unless your DM says so.

Again, just my opinion.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

..I couldn't agree more. There is a real art to DMing that is rarely appreciated. A good DM makes it look easy, and I think that's precisely why there are so many poor DMs... people see a good DM and think 'ha, I can do that...' some can of course, but plenty just can't. Of course, this is just my opinion and totally subjective.

When it comes to the players though, while I agree that a good DM can make even the shyest or least imaginative player contribute meaningfully to the campaign, what really kills a game in my opinion is metagaming because it ruins the narrative, makes the characters behave in unrealistic ways and just ruins the immersion for everyone else.

Especially the people who try to correct the DM, flicking through the monster manual or whatever, get on my nerves. I couldn't care less what the manual says. The DM is god and his word is final. You're in HIS world now and your character doesn't know anything about the creature you're encountering unless your DM says so.

Again, just my opinion.
            I played a few times under a DM who ran near tournament like conditions. Basically all your "Knowledge" was leveled to the level of your character and what would reasonably be expected for a character of a given level to have knowledge of. So magic users for instance weren't throwing around spells and digging through players handbook's any more than clerics were for divine knowledge bestowed by their gods / goddesses. Made for interesting games when you played the game as your character and their knowledge and skills and not something else. If you happen to be running two characters and truly play them as individuals with unique identities and personalities it can create some really interesting situations in the game world.

Think the best I ever saw was a situation where one player was running a chaotic evil thief,a chaotic good cleric ranger and a lawful good Paladin. That made for some interesting conflicts within the party I had a chaotic good Cleric / Ranger who got a cursed item that during the day caused him to break out in song at the oddest times but at night caused him to shift from chaotic good to chaotic evil and basically shifted him to an anti-cleric/anti-ranger. He wouldn't attack our own party but would attack other parties or aide the Thief but then recall none of it the next day. Which made for some interesting game play. Drove the Paladin nuts as he had to defend my character for when he did detect evil the cursed item even hid the Thief's alignment if he was next to me.

But I've played under other DM's who went strictly by the rules. Character's became dry and unrealistic and the enjoyment quickly vanished. Each meli round followed by debate and turning to the books to evaluate what was done, who did what, how it went, the game becoming more about the sequence, rules, placements, weapons employed, agility, etc. Recall one where the DM insisted on using a critical hits table. My character had full plate armor and shield was given a negative on dexterity due to vision blockage (due to helmet) and weight of armor. Fighting some creature when the DM rolled a 20 checked his critical hits chart and rolled again and determined it was a kill shot to the head with a sling bullet. I'm asking ok you give my character a penalty due to full armor and full helm due to restrict vision and narrow T field of vision slit and now your saying a kill shot will a sling bullet with a kill shot to the head. Yep, that's what he rolled on his chart, had to follow the rules. Figured I had enough of that DM and that particular game and left. The next day a few friends talked me into coming back that night as the Dm though about it and decided that really was silly and settled on loosing an eye instead of death. I tried but the game stayed crazy to me as he held to his "Charts" and "Lists" and made it unrealistic even given it was a fantasy game.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I must confess to all,I have NEVER played D&D except in a computer version in an RPG Game..Never Winter nights in fact.

But then I am a TRUE Boomer,being born right at the beginning of the start...Start of boomers was 1945-46 BTW
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Neverwinter Nights was pretty dope. I have all the old DnD games. Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and my favorite Planescape: Torment.

I was thinking of playing through NWN again actually.

Comment

I played a few times under a DM who ran near tournament like conditions. Basically all your "Knowledge" was leveled to the level of your character and what would reasonably be expected for a character of a given level to have knowledge of. So magic users for instance weren't throwing around spells and digging through players handbook's any more than clerics were for divine knowledge bestowed by their gods / goddesses. Made for interesting games when you played the game as your character and their knowledge and skills and not something else. If you happen to be running two characters and truly play them as individuals with unique identities and personalities it can create some really interesting situations in the game world.
                  That's a pretty extreme version of what I was talking about, but if the players were willing to go along with that then I imagine it could work very well.

I sometimes think it's a shame that unlike any other form of storytelling in the modern world, you (usually) can't revisit D&D adventures other than with your memory. It's not like a book you can read over and pick up details you missed the last time around. Even my next favourite style of storytelling, rakugo, uses the same stories over and over so is never completely unique even if each artist brings their own twist to the story.. they still tell it more or less the same way each time. Like actors in a play.

There's almost a magic for me, in the way that the D&D campaign exists only in the moment, fading into nothing but memories the second the session is over. Of course, there are now, thanks to the internet, recorded sessions that you can watch over and over, but they're not the norm and if anything reinforce the sense of wonder for me. The campaign I'm watching at the moment took 4 weeks off for various reasons so I decided to recap and watch the entire thing from the start. I was amazed to see the little hints and foreshadowing of story arcs to come that I'd totally missed the first time around. Especially things that just seemed to pop up organically due to the roll of a dice where the DM made it seem like he was just rolling with it (pun purely accidental). Yet all along he must have had a rough idea where he would take certain events. Usually you'd miss details like that, which for me just deepens the magic of those campaigns that happen behind closed doors.

I'm rambling though ^^

Rakugo btw, is a form of usually comedic storytelling where they.. wait.. I'll let Diane explain..

rakugo

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  I must confess to all,I have NEVER played D&D except in a computer version in an RPG Game..Never Winter nights in fact.

But then I am a TRUE Boomer,being born right at the beginning of the start...Start of boomers was 1945-46 BTW
                  This is pretty risky on a pagan forum, but I've been revisiting some of my shadow work recently so I may as well come clean with one of my demons; My confession is that I used to be one of those that thought roleplay was for weirdos. It even bothered me that most of the Norse-type pagans I knew were into roleplay. I used to think their paganism was just an extension of the escapism for them so couldn't take them seriously (luckily the feeling was often mutual.. they don't seem to like wiccans much either!). Gah I was so ignorant in my twenties. I'm not proud of that at all and it was my loss, not theirs. I was recently reminded when there was all the hate over Pokemon Go, how petty it is to judge something you know nothing about. That 'people are having fun so I'm going to try to make them feel bad for that' mentality isn't just ignorance, it's sheer spite, raw, ugly, unashamed spite (yes, I'm still angry with my former self, is it showing?^^)

We all grow though, and I'd like to think I'm much more open minded about things I don't understand. D&D definitely helped me to learn that lesson! My common decency has leveled up and now I get to roll an extra d6 when making judgements about people.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

.. I sometimes think it's a shame that unlike any other form of storytelling in the modern world, you (usually) can't revisit D&D adventures other than with your memory. It's not like a book you can read over and pick up details you missed the last time around. Even my next favourite style of storytelling, rakugo, uses the same stories over and over so is never completely unique even if each artist brings their own twist to the story.. they still tell it more or less the same way each time. Like actors in a play.
                    I think that's why I got into team text adventure's. The difference was it was like a D&D game but one person started a generic opening then each person wrote a few paragraphs for the adventure. Then the next person would add a few more paragraphs. About the only condition was there was a delay between postings to ensure the story lines didn't overlap or two or more people weren't posting at the same time. After a bit certain "Characters" would take on a life of their own an you'd see a dedicated author take over writing for that character or perhaps characters.

So in that capacity it was a living story. There never was an ending except to the extent that the story might die or pass into limbo as the participants left the story or grew bored with it. Yet it also resulted in characters coming and going from the story over time and creating back stories within the story as to why. At times side stories did play out when there was an interest. Then add it was on a pagan forum so it had a lot of pagan elements incorporated into it so it was more than just a fantasy or D&D game. Bad part is it was very popular but the site eventually folded and it all went into the void and was lost.

Rakugo btw, is a form of usually comedic storytelling where they.. wait.. I'll let Diane explain..
                    I saw that once when I lived in Japan. Didn't know what it was at the time. Never did hold my attention which made it hard to get into I admit. But then my Japanese was also not to great so that didn't help so you were trying to pick up what was going on from imagery which by itself didn't aide to much.

Comment

I always kind of wished I had a DM who followed the rule book more- my last one gave us each a weapon that, by the time we reached level 10, dealt 512d10 damage and 512d10 elemental damage- the level 6 barbarian could one-hit an ancient white dragon. He introduced some pretty outrageous things, like most of the party being vampires, which increases stats 10 fold, and a gold mine that gave players 500,000 gp/day. I took over for a few sessions to practice before I struck out on my own, and there was no point in giving them a story, since it's impossible to direct players when their actions have no consequences, because they can defeat or intimidate anything even if they fumble.

Edit: oops, I seem to be a little late for input- I was responding to the idea that a DM makes or breaks a game
                      Last edited by Chessa; 10 Oct 2016, 20:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
                        I always kind of wished I had a DM who followed the rule book more- my last one gave us each a weapon that, by the time we reached level 10, dealt 512d10 damage and 512d10 elemental damage- the level 6 barbarian could one-hit an ancient white dragon. He introduced some pretty outrageous things, like most of the party being vampires, which increases stats 10 fold, and a gold mine that gave players 500,000 gp/day. I took over for a few sessions to practice before I struck out on my own, and there was no point in giving them a story, since it's impossible to direct players when their actions have no consequences, because they can defeat or intimidate anything even if they fumble.

Edit: oops, I seem to be a little late for input- I was responding to the idea that a DM makes or breaks a game
                        A creative DM could make a game challenging and fun at the same time. But one who made super powerful players IMO ruined the game for everyone as the challenge was removed for there was nothing you couldn't beat, right up to and including a deity. What makes it worse, well to me anyway, is that I saw far to often where the players and their rewards were super charged but their opponents were never equally supercharged in capabilities and weapons. If both sides were over inflated then at least the game stays balanced even if overblown.

I played in one game where the DM was always introducing new elements into the game that were challenging us. One such creature nearly destroyed the party simply because the party had been based around the idea of gathering magical items and weapons. Yet the creature was developed in such a way that it was immune to all magical items and they had no affect / effect upon it. No spells, no magical weapons, nothing magical enhanced anything could damage it. Finally defeated it by attacking it with sticks and stones basically which takes quite some time but it sure could injure your character. Had to change your whole though process of game play. SO never supper powerful but not specifically creature's out of the various monster manuals either.

Comment

I get what you mean about the characters *and* enemies being overblown: I call it DragonBall Z syndrome. When your characters can punch a hole through space and time, and everyone has run out of gimmicks to keep interest alive, what do you do then?

Personally I avoid that by taking sick pleasure in watching the barbarian nearly kill himself for a bag that only has 2cp, or the party putting the paladin (wis 4) ahead to find all the traps. It's no fun if they're not afraid!

Comment

Hey everybody. Anyway My first D&D 3.5 Game was an epic fail because the DM have to take care of his adopted baby. So I start with a second game with new people and new DM. So far my party defeat a group of Evil Drow.

Comment

I have a D&D story that you might like BMH. It's about tarot!

JP is DMing a sequel to the weretiger campaign he ran last year. He's been recording the sessions so I can listen to them at work, although I never followed the original story so don't entirely know what's going on.

Anyway, despite being a skeptic, JP is curious enough about tarot to want me to teach him how it works and he even let me do my first reading for another person in over 6 years on hom! He was reasonably impressed and got the gist of how tarot is meant to work. Then he asked me if I'd do readings for the characters in his campaign. He knows their background and also what he's planning so could verify what I was saying.

It was a really good training exercise and the cards were totally on board and playing along. I predicted the potential death of one of the player characters and JP confirmed there is a BIG boss fight coming up that could go very wrong if the players make careless choices. Even the other readings hinted at the loss of a friend. JP was most excited that roughly the same cards kept coming up for the future section. I recorded the readings so JP is thinking about using the readings in the campaign itself!

JP is still a skeptic, but he's coming round to the idea that tarot can be used as a tool to help you work through your thoughts and problems.

Comment

I have a D&D story that you might like BMH. It's about tarot!

JP is DMing a sequel to the weretiger campaign he ran last year. He's been recording the sessions so I can listen to them at work, although I never followed the original story so don't entirely know what's going on.

Anyway, despite being a skeptic, JP is curious enough about tarot to want me to teach him how it works and he even let me do my first reading for another person in over 6 years on hom! He was reasonably impressed and got the gist of how tarot is meant to work. Then he asked me if I'd do readings for the characters in his campaign. He knows their background and also what he's planning so could verify what I was saying.

It was a really good training exercise and the cards were totally on board and playing along. I predicted the potential death of one of the player characters and JP confirmed there is a BIG boss fight coming up that could go very wrong if the players make careless choices. Even the other readings hinted at the loss of a friend. JP was most excited that roughly the same cards kept coming up for the future section. I recorded the readings so JP is thinking about using the readings in the campaign itself!

JP is still a skeptic, but he's coming round to the idea that tarot can be used as a tool to help you work through your thoughts and problems.
                                Excellent. I do tarot reading with my D&D games. I even ask a friend of mine about how's my second game will turn out. (He's also a tarot reader) And he told me that everybody will enjoy my character but in the end there will be some problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X