Angry All The Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angry All The Time

I've finally realized that in the past few weeks--maybe even in the past few months--I've just been angry all the time. Not at anything in particular, but everything in general. Everything gets under my skin, or weighs heavy on my mind.

I have no idea why. I haven't had a change in medication or health. My long-term health issues are starting to look up a bit because I'm trying a new treatment and my insurance is finally kicking in. I'm moving towards a point of getting my life in as much order as a can, instead of the mess it's been. So why am I so angry?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Angry All The Time

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
    I've finally realized that in the past few weeks--maybe even in the past few months--I've just been angry all the time. Not at anything in particular, but everything in general. Everything gets under my skin, or weighs heavy on my mind.

I have no idea why. I haven't had a change in medication or health. My long-term health issues are starting to look up a bit because I'm trying a new treatment and my insurance is finally kicking in. I'm moving towards a point of getting my life in as much order as a can, instead of the mess it's been. So why am I so angry?
    Because you are feeling better, which means you have more access to your intrinsic energy.

This is why, contradicting expectations, suicide rates go up for people who begin antidepressants.

I have no good advice to offer you, except to do your best to tough it out, knowing that, eventually, things will arrive at an equilibrium.

I can say that, when I began taking effective meds, I was, at the same time, both better and worse than I was before. There is a period of adjustment. The Dr.s really need to explain this better to their patients.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      Because you are feeling better, which means you have more access to your intrinsic energy.

This is why, contradicting expectations, suicide rates go up for people who begin antidepressants.

I have no good advice to offer you, except to do your best to tough it out, knowing that, eventually, things will arrive at an equilibrium.

I can say that, when I began taking effective meds, I was, at the same time, both better and worse than I was before. There is a period of adjustment. The Dr.s really need to explain this better to their patients.
      I'm actually not feeling better, though, heath-wise. The meds are the same, and I've been taking anti-depressants for years. Maybe just feeling better because I have more options now?

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'm actually not feeling better, though, heath-wise. The meds are the same, and I've been taking anti-depressants for years. Maybe just feeling better because I have more options now?
        Even though I've known you for a long time, I'm not comfortable giving much advice .

For myself, though, I've found that learning the art of "letting go" has solved a lot of similar problems for me.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

You know I see anger as a very useful tool. Have you done something to release some of this anger? Doesn't matter why you have it. Do something like buy some cheap glasses at the 99 cents store and take them out back and smash the hell out of them. Or bang your head to some serious heavy metal. I always feel better. But I'm naturally combative I guess.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Actually, don't give into your anger. Doing so makes you feel good in the short term, but ends up hard wiring your brain to need release for the anger, which makes you more prone to going ballistic when you can't express it properly. It's why stress balls don't work very well long term.

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
              Actually, don't give into your anger. Doing so makes you feel good in the short term, but ends up hard wiring your brain to need release for the anger, which makes you more prone to going ballistic when you can't express it properly. It's why stress balls don't work very well long term.
              Ever heard of what happens to people who hold their stress in? One such thing..heart attacks, high blood pressure. Something I have already had. It's ok to be angry. It doesn't mean you are going to turn into a raving lunatic. You can be angry in a good controlled way. Jesus now.

Comment

Releasing angry is necessary for not going ballistic. When I've gone into periods where I couldn't do anything to express any anger, I became self-destructive, because I had nothing else I could turn my anger to.

Right now, I'm more just trying to figure out why everything is pissing me off.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Shrug, if venting anger in non-destructive ways lead to venting anger in destructive ways than I'd be banned by now. That's about all I have to say on that topic.

Regarding the OP...

Contrast?

My distaste for retail multiplied by an order of magnitude after working for a time in a field that's not retail. If things are starting to fall into place then you may be dealing with increased annoyance due to the fact that better long term prospects don't yet meet present day life.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Actually this disagreement brings up some interesting points. I'm going to go off the reservation and state some opinions from personal experience. I'm not saying it's going on here. But I am saying it goes on.

Women are not allowed to be angry. It's wrong. We may lose our marbles. We are incapable of being angry and in control at the same time. No sky will fall if we get pissed off and vent about it.

When we are forced to be 'nice women' we tend to do very destructive things. Things the outside world cannot see. Things such as over eating/starving oneself/becoming overly sexual/having low self esteem. The list could go on and on about what internal damage we do when we aren't allows to be angry. One big one is cutting. I was a cutter in my teens. Not the kind where you go nuts and slash at your wrists all willy nilly bleeding into the sheets in a panic. Nope. I was a very focused cutter. I would turn on the tv. I would lay a towel down. I would get a nice new blade and I would cut horizontal lines up and down my arms. In perfect space. In perfect red lines. I would look like a train track. I would immediately become calm. Because finally. Finally I could express outwardly what was exploding inwardly.

Only years later and learning to be ok with being angry in a safe way could I stop hurting myself. The only way to learn an emotion and how to handle it is to learn to use it and practice it judiciously.
                    Stuffing those emotions down do not make you better at handling them.

Anger is not your enemy. And never let someone tell you how to handle your own emotions. You are a sentient being who is the master or mistress of your own censored domain.

Last edited by MaskedOne; 04 Dec 2015, 23:26. Reason: language

Comment

Right now, I'm more just trying to figure out why everything is pissing me off.
                      One thing you could try is going somewhere away from people and just shouting and swearing a lot, see what comes up. That can be quite therapeutic if you let yourself go. I used to do it while driving a car sometimes.
                      Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                      Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                      And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                      Genesis lyric

Comment

I've held in anger for 22 years. I'm now a shaking, nervous wreck. I'm also angry at everything all the time with bo idea howto handle it. So I'll say nop, holding in anger is much worse than releasing it in a safe way. Anger can even be extremely useful when it's used constructively.

It's not as strange as you may think, being angry all the time habbs. The thing is that supressing strong emotion may, in my experience, actually add to the physical pain you're already in. So some form of release would be ideal... just letting go is great, but hard if there's something you need to work through... you might want to try a therapist who could help with that, it can be really hard going it on your own, and they may be able to give you some tools that could help.
                        You remind me of the babe
                        What babe?
                        The babe with the power
                        What power?
                        The Power of voodoo
                        Who do?
                        You do!
                        Do what?
                        Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                          . ..you might want to try a therapist who could help with that, it can be really hard going it on your own, and they may be able to give you some tools that could help.
                          Many years ago I went to encounter groups, and their thing was punching cushions. They also used role-play as a safe way of expressing repressed emotions.
                          Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                            Many years ago I went to encounter groups, and their thing was punching cushions.
                            Hitting things isn't really something I do. I will punch the floor or myself if I'm frustrated in a game, but that's about it. I'm more the pacing/agitated angry type.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'm more the pacing/agitated angry type.
                              One strategy is to develop the opposite, so developing calm would be an antidote to agitation. In my experience being able to fully relax is important, I mean both physically and mentally. Some people find relaxation exercises helpful.
                              Genesis lyric

Comment

Working...
                              X