Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Angry All The Time

Nov 2015
    Religion
    Naturalist and ice-cream worshipper

Re: Angry All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by habbalah View Post
    Right now, I'm more just trying to figure out why everything is pissing me off.
    One thing you could try is going somewhere away from people and just shouting and swearing a lot, see what comes up. That can be quite therapeutic if you let yourself go. I used to do it while driving a car sometimes.
    Once a man, like the sea I raged;
    Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
    And there is in fact more earth than sea.
    Genesis lyric

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    Actually, don't give into your anger. Doing so makes you feel good in the short term, but ends up hard wiring your brain to need release for the anger, which makes you more prone to going ballistic when you can't express it properly. It's why stress balls don't work very well long term.
    I've held in anger for 22 years. I'm now a shaking, nervous wreck. I'm also angry at everything all the time with bo idea howto handle it. So I'll say nop, holding in anger is much worse than releasing it in a safe way. Anger can even be extremely useful when it's used constructively.

It's not as strange as you may think, being angry all the time habbs. The thing is that supressing strong emotion may, in my experience, actually add to the physical pain you're already in. So some form of release would be ideal... just letting go is great, but hard if there's something you need to work through... you might want to try a therapist who could help with that, it can be really hard going it on your own, and they may be able to give you some tools that could help.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Nov 2015
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by iris View Post
    . ..you might want to try a therapist who could help with that, it can be really hard going it on your own, and they may be able to give you some tools that could help.
    Many years ago I went to encounter groups, and their thing was punching cushions. They also used role-play as a safe way of expressing repressed emotions.
    Genesis lyric

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Porpoise View Post
    Many years ago I went to encounter groups, and their thing was punching cushions.
    Hitting things isn't really something I do. I will punch the floor or myself if I'm frustrated in a game, but that's about it. I'm more the pacing/agitated angry type.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Nov 2015
    Religion

I'm more the pacing/agitated angry type.
    One strategy is to develop the opposite, so developing calm would be an antidote to agitation. In my experience being able to fully relax is important, I mean both physically and mentally. Some people find relaxation exercises helpful.
    Genesis lyric

Nov 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic with some strong norse tendensies

Hitting things isn't really something I do. I will punch the floor or myself if I'm frustrated in a game, but that's about it. I'm more the pacing/agitated angry type.
    Which is why you might need some help finding tools that work for you. Pacing doesn't really release anything, it expresses it. But it's not gonna help you through it. Probably, finding the root of your anger and working with that is what you need... there's a difference between being angry when something goes wrong, and just feeling angry all the time... I know it's sappy, but you're a great writer, take a blank piece of paper and a pen, and try writing it out. Just see what flows out.
    You remind me of the babe
    What babe?
    The babe with the power
    What power?
    The Power of voodoo
    Who do?
    You do!
    Do what?
    Remind me of the babe!

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Well.

I have a 40 year old undergraduate degree in psychology, which qualifies me for absolutely nothing except to be a know-it-all about the brain...

So here goes:

Anger released in an uncontrolled way is both a massive waste of energy, and a temporary fix. Catharsis leaves one feeling spent and tired, and things will build up, requiring repeated catharsis.

Anger which is not released builds up until the one experiencing it can no longer bite it back, and it is very likely to pop out an a bad time.

The middle way is to release the anger in a controlled way. When one does this, the anger is reduced, the energy is harnessed for a useful purpose, and the person ends up feeling energized, becomes more active, and much less angry.

How this is done should depend on the person doing it. Running, long walks, tennis - these all can work, if they are things you like. Personally, I have a punching bag, and beat the crap out of it...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Jun 2014
    Religion
    Atheistic / modern satanist

One year ago I still lived with my brother in my mother's house. He was a slob and drug addict and it frustrated me a lot. I was angry all the time, even at things that I also could have just brushed off. Then I moved to my own house and all that anger and frustration was gone, because the source of that anger was gone.

So you could search for the source, maybe by meditating. If you know what it is, try to remove that source or limit it's influence on your emotions. I don't know anything about the effects of medicine, so maybe your doctor might have some tips about that.

Nov 2015
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Personally, I have a punching bag, and beat the crap out of it...
    Many moons ago I bought one of those when I started working as a Probation Officer.
    Genesis lyric

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Norse Pagan (self taught - looking for more traditions)

I have also found that finding the right music can help me release my anger - That or going to my medieval re-enactment training - Running around in armour hitting other people in armour with swords can be VERY cathartic