Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-Cigarrettes: Are they safer? if so, is 'soft touch' regulation appropriate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Cigarrettes: Are they safer? if so, is 'soft touch' regulation appropriate?

MY opinion is Yes they are safer, they helped me quit (2.5 years and going)

I think they need a soft touch regulation for many reasons including: They are a constantly evolving product becoming safer as they evolve, and the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Re: E-Cigarrettes: Are they safer? if so, is 'soft touch' regulation appropriate?

I like them, and use them. For people who want the smoke without the nicotine, juice is available. For those (like me) who are addicts, they offer a safer alternative. For those who despise anybody who does something they don't like, they are a stick shoved straight up de butt.

Typical human. It ain't what it is, it's all about controlling what others do.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Re: E-Cigarrettes: Are they safer? if so, is 'soft touch' regulation appropriate?

They aren't safe if you are an idiot at using them. I was on the bus the other day. Dudes in back of my seat. One is all I'ma gonna light up! The other dude is like dude, it says no smoking. Other dude. Dude, i'm vaaaaaping. Other dude. Smoke still be coming out you mouth, yo. And I'm like yup. Because if I start breathing in your nasty watermelon mix in mah air, you are not going to be safe.

Luckily the vape kid was able to go the ride without vaping up and stinking the whole bus. You may like bubblegum,grape, watermelon whatever. I may not. I expect my air fruit free, thanks.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I had no idea vaping was such a huge thing until I just looked it up. There is a veritable subculture behind it.

Comment

I didn't know it was called "vaping"!

Anyway, vaping has surely got to be a lot less dangerous than smoking actual cigarettes?
          Once a man, like the sea I raged;
          Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
          And there is in fact more earth than sea.
          Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
            I didn't know it was called "vaping"!

Anyway, vaping has surely got to be a lot less dangerous than smoking actual cigarettes?

It may be. Dunno. Don't care about the health of a person who I don't know. But it's annoying. And many businesses treat it as such and ban it alltogether. Cig smoke, vape smoke. I don't vape, so I don't want to be inhaling said flavor of vape. It's like me eating garlic and making you burp it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              Cig smoke, vape smoke. I don't vape, so I don't want to be inhaling said flavor of vape.
              I haven't noticed any odours from vapers. Certainly nothing like the pungent whiff of tobacco smoke.
              Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                I haven't noticed any odours from vapers. Certainly nothing like the pungent whiff of tobacco smoke.
                Oh, you are the lucky one! My two managers vape. And it always stinks up the office (yup they puff away in there when I'm out of the office). And I wasn't making up those flavors. One loves chocolate, the other watermelon or strawberry or bubblegum. It's like having the scent of bubalicious gum when you first take that chew. It's sickly sweet.

Comment

Vaping is significantly better than smoking, no tar, no highly radioactive polonium, all that crap is cut out. You are still inhaling particulates, and nicotine is still bad for you, and you are still impacting the air of those around you without their permission, but yeah, it's the lesser of two evils.
                  I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                  Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                  But that day you know I left my money
                  And I thought of you only
                  All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    Oh, you are the lucky one! My two managers vape. And it always stinks up the office (yup they puff away in there when I'm out of the office). And I wasn't making up those flavors. One loves chocolate, the other watermelon or strawberry or bubblegum. It's like having the scent of bubalicious gum when you first take that chew. It's sickly sweet.
                    Oh, I see, yes that could be definitely be anti-social. I don't know anyone who vapes so I haven't been stuck in an enclosed space with one.
                    Genesis lyric

Comment

My sister smokes e-cigs and she still hasn't got off them. I still think the e-cigs are dangerous.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I smoked for over 50 years,and E-cigs did the trick for me to quit(Safe..who knows,but there are a lot of people who used them to quit)
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

There are something like 400 chemicals known to exist in cigarette smoke. Including known toxins and carcinogens like ammonia and formaldehyde. Electric cigarette juice and vapor only contains 4 or 5 chemicals: propylene glycol(same stuff in smoke machines in clubs), water, flavoring, in some cases vegetable glycerin(to produce bigger and longer lasting clouds of vapor) and nicotine. None of these are known to be toxic or carcinogenic. Even if they are are found to be bad for you, 4 chemicals in your body must be better than 400.

I quit smoking 4.5 years ago and switched to vaping on electrics and within a month I was feeling better. No more waking up wheezing or coughing, within a few months the occasional pain I had in my lungs went away. Also now when I get sick I only feel half as bad as I did when I smoked and I kick the cold faster too.

So yeah as far as I'm concerned they are better. I actually mix my own juice so I always have some non-flavored non-smelling juice that I use when I'm out in public, so I don't offend people. The law here is no smoking in bars, restaurants and the like, you can't even smoke withing 25 feet of the outside doors of such places. But the state supreme court said using electrics isn't smoking so I can vape in all those places(as long as the owners don't mind).

I think such leniency for electric cigarettes is a great thing as it encourages people to get off tobacco cigarettes. This lowers health care costs and insurance prices. Which brings up another point electric cigarettes don't count as smoking if your buying insurance either.

The other good thing was that being a pack a day smoker I was spending about $240 a month on smokes. If you average out the cost of electrics a year the cost is $20 - $40 a month depending if you mix your own juice or not, maybe less as the actual batteries last longer than a year. This puts more money in the economy rather than in the hands of tobacco companies.

One last point the e-liquid for electric cigarettes comes in various levels of nicotine, right down to zero nicotine. I've heard of people stepping down their levels over time to zero and then all they have to break is the habit of puffing on something. I've heard of lots of people completely stopping who say its much easier than the gum or the patch.

Comment

Ecig vapor gives me an asthma attack faster than cig smoke. Read the SDS for propylene glycol.

Its not a matter of how many chemicals are present, its a matter of which chemicals, the amount preswnt, and their individual properties and hazards.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

the sds I read said "Not regarded as a health or environmental hazard under current legislation." But I had no idea it affected people with asthma, I'll have to think about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X