What Types of Divination Do You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Types of Divination Do You Do?

Exactly what it says on the tin. What types do you do, if at all?

I'm slowly getting back into reading tarot cards. I have a pendulum, but haven't picked it up in ages. Scrying will be the next step, but I want to wait until I get my work room cleansed. I have a gazing ball as well, but waiting for the same reason; I want a clean work space.

How 'bout you?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: What Types of Divination Do You Do?

I've studied and practice a lot of methods.

I like pendulum and spirit board type division better than pictorial oracles like Tarot; I like the physicality of them, and I also feel overly constrained by a fixed set of visual images (that's a personal failing that I know many others don't suffer).

I use black mirror scrying with the Facial Reflection-Distortion technique, and I have a method for reading omens, bird signs in particular. I use these more as tools of personal development, but they are diviniation-like practices none the less.

I have a modernized bibliomancy method I can do with my car radio. It's got a autoscan feature, and when I turn it on it pauses on each station it can lock onto for about 2 seconds, then moves onto the next station. I'll pose a question, turn on the scanner, then string together a sentence from the things I hear across some number of successive stations (I usually get a sentence after 3 or 4 hits). I take the sentence as the answer to my question. Of all the methods I've worked, this one is moderately informative but is by far the most entertaining.

Comment

I use horary astrology and the Yi Jing. I've tried the tarot and geomancy, but they never worked for me.

The first time I used the Yi Jing, I convinced myself that I didn't understand the unwelcome answer, so I asked again. That time I got "It is not I who seeks the ignorant youth, but the ignorant youth who seeks me. If he asks again and again, he is irreverent and I do not answer." Now that's what I call a smart oracle. Over the years I've developed enough rapport with the book to be able to use it bibliomancy-style, only getting my fennel sticks out then I need a lot of detail. I've also discovered recently that a Greek god would answer a question about ritual put via the Chinese oracle!

Comment

I mostly roll thirty-three 'three sided dice' (in reality six sided dice with doubled numbers), or roll a three sided die thirty three times, and then count the number of threes rolled. It doesn't hurt that I play DnD, and thus have the dice on hand. Then I apply numberical symbolism. Or just numberical symbolism in general, really. Sometimes some Scrying or a weird mixture of Rune-casting and Tarot (namely cards with runes painted on them, applied like tarot cards).

Comment

I began with palmistry, and I'm still very fond of this, though can no longer see well enough to do it. In my time have used scrying, crystal ball, tarot, dowsing, but my all time favourite is still the runes. Especially the Anglo-Saxon ones.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I started with the pendulum and am most proficient with that. I'm working with runes and Tarot now - but am deliberately taking a slow, methodic approach to them before I start doing serious work with them. I've done a few readings for family with some good results, but I go back to the pendulum to ensure I'm interpreting things correctly. It's a crutch.

Comment

Tarot Cards, Pendulum, and occasionally, if the matter is important, I'll go ask a few Demons. Demonomancy perhaps? I don't know if it has a name of its own.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I can't trust a pendulum because even in a stand I get the answer I want or expect. I believe I influence the outcome. I use numerology for some things but when I need a yes or no answer I will typically turn to coins. I have two sets of three copper coins. I use one set at a time so I am throwing just three coins. It takes three heads to give an affirmative answer. For deep understanding of a subject I use candle meditation or deep guided meditation.
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                  Tarot Cards, Pendulum, and occasionally, if the matter is important, I'll go ask a few Demons. Demonomancy perhaps? I don't know if it has a name of its own.
                  Yes, it is demonomancy Wiki has a list of divination methods (Google "types of divination", should be first result). Some interesting things I never knew that could be imagined are forms of divination, such as the burning of laurel wreaths and "by wild hogs" (hyomancy) whatever the hell that's supposed to be.
                  I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                  Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                  But that day you know I left my money
                  And I thought of you only
                  All that copper glowing fine

Comment

I tried looking into hyomancy. It just said "predicting the future by watching wild hogs". I'm really disappointed that I won't know how to try this next time I go to a pig farm.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

runes, cards, and stones ... I've been thinking of trying a pendulum for simpler questions, though. I had a look at the types of divination sticky ... a lot of different methods, some of which are just specific types of other methods ... like hyomancy, which would be a specification of watching wild animals.
                      the pig farm wouldn't work, they aren't wild

Comment

Originally posted by Vanli View Post
                        runes, cards, and stones ... I've been thinking of trying a pendulum for simpler questions, though. I had a look at the types of divination sticky ... a lot of different methods, some of which are just specific types of other methods ... like hyomancy, which would be a specification of watching wild animals.
                        the pig farm wouldn't work, they aren't wild
                        Well, I don't know where to find wild pigs. Maybe there's a version for farm pigs...

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

This webcam has wild boars quite often!
                          baah.

Comment

This webcam has wild boars quite often!
                            It came back with "no stream found". I guess no hyomancy for me...

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

When I have a question I ask the Tarot Oracle, and am currently studying a book on 21 ways to read a Tarot Card. Funny, I picked up the practice at a ThetaHealing seminar me and my father were attending. One of the students said I would be very good at it, so I read for the teacher and she said I did a pretty good job, and her friend was surprised by the accuracy as well. I haven't put them down since and have a small collection of decks (more on the way. I love the Cards).

When I am just walking about I take notice of any Runes I may see lying about from fallen branches and twigs, and listen to call of the Ravens and Weather; as if Odin is trying to tell me something through his Ravens, or Thor or Athena through gusts of wind, changes in temperature, and feelings that may emerge as I walk through the rain. I have trouble interpreting every sign, and sometimes they are just the weather being weather, but as I look back on some of the signs, I can recall what Rune I saw or gust of Wind I felt that lead me to, or pointed out, certain changes and important milestones in my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X