Yule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yule

I have never been one to celebrate Holiday's particularly of the religious kind, due to my upbringing which turned me off to doing anything of a religious nature. But as I am exploring this Pagan side of me I am quite excited about celebrating the Sabbats. I am planning my Yule now and am curious how others spend their Yule? I am planning a small alter with different items that remind me of Yuletime and have found a nice Bayberry candle of true bayberry. It means so much to me that I have found the Sabbats because it is the first time I have found days that I truly feel are meaningful enough for me to put the effort to celebrate.

Re: Yule

I don't really do Yule per se, but this year I've decided to cleanse my work room (where I do all of my pagany stuff) so that it's all fresh and new to welcome the calendar new year.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I feel like completing a circle... people were getting prepared for Yule when I committed more seriously to Paganism a year ago...
      My family doesn't do Christmas with Christ in it anyway so if I want to add some more Pagany elements to the holiday I can do so (as long as they are relatively secular). Last year we had a yule goat (if someone's unfamiliar with yule goats, look at my avatar! :P) on the top of the Christmas tree. Such small things but I've been a real cynic about Christmas so it has been nice to get some of it back. (No, I'm not getting into the "Christians stole Christmas from Pagans!1!!1"... It has been more like a personal thing for me.)I like to sit back and enjoy the dark time of the year. Adding more stuff, even rituals, on my to do list is not an option! But still, Yule 2014 was really a meaningful holiday for me. I changed religion and had a lot of time to reflect upon such things. Usually I would ve far too busy or pissed off to do that.
      I have to give some credit to my mother who likes Christmas traditions. I spend the holidays at my parents' and the atmosphere is a bit different there than in my tiny flat with zero decorations.
      It's different every year but I think the core of the holiday for me is stopping and reflecting for a while. Or just doing nothing - or doing things that you normally don't have time to do.
      baah.

Comment

In my current tradition yule is the end of the old year. It is a time to celebrate completion and enjoy the faith in the new. We exchange hand made gifts with each other and within our group at the Solstice celebration.
        The gifts are made, packaged in plain paper and given a number. A small bag is placed on the altar with cards each numbered in relation to a gift. The numbers are selected after being blessed and the gifts are collected. After ritual we open the gifts. The gifts seem to go where they should as though the selection was "rigged" by deity.
        What can I say?, Magik happens!
        The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
        I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

So glad you asked!

This is the first year I'm doing something big. I leading the events for my local CUUPs group. We're doing an overnight vigil with an opening ritual, midnight ritual, and spiral dance at dawn. There will be some story telling, game playing, dancing, and music. We're going to keep the yule candle lit all night long. We'll possibly be making some trips out into the natural world, but we'll keep that short since it'll be so cold. I'm pretty stoked.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I do 12 days over Yule. Starting with Mother's Night to New Years. A small ritual and offering every night for my dead, Holle and Odin. I made some ornaments for the tree for them.

Comment

This year, I want to get up earlier than I typically do, make and enjoy a breakfast casserole and a cup of coffee, while it's still morning proper. I'm going to sit under the redwood tree in our front yard and connect with it, meditating on my life path 5 (which I've been exploring, trying to figure out how to fulfill myself and help others in this lifetime, express my best and make sense of my worst); being grounded doesn't come natural to me and trees have been making it known to me lately that I could benefit from connecting with them, that they could help me learn to be more well rooted. Nature photography is a hobby of mine, so I get outside for all of the holidays and take pictures which further brings to my attention all the seasonal changes. Usually, Yule would be the day I annually sit down with my oracle cards to read for each month in the coming year. I'm doing that a couple of days before, since I'll have a better chance of being able to focus without possible distractions; working around family's holiday vacation schedules.

Comment

I found something I want to include in my future Yuletime celebrations: The Yule Cat. I think I can convince him to eat rude holiday shoppers.
                “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Merry Yule everyone!
                  Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Happy Yule! Mine is great and filled with a lot of rain!

Comment

Merry Yule, everyone!

Comment

Tomorrow I'll be cooking a Yule feast for the Gods, me, and my Doberman - and a Christmas feast for, well, everyone else in the house. We're mixed up, but joyous. Been having a blast today thus far.

I'll be sitting down with my guitar tonight to make a musical offering, such as I can (I'm not all that good). Been working up some sigils for the new year this week, so I'll probably do more of the same this weekend.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Yule and a blessed new year!

Comment

This is my first Yule (Jól in Icelandic and Old Norse) as Ásarúar. I found a very detailed and extensive write-up about each of the 12 days of Yuletide. I distilled it down to short rituals for each night. Each night is dedicated to a particular deity, or deities, to ancestors, community, etc. I make simple libations, or just offer candles, incense and prayers. For example the first night was Mothers' Night and Friggablót, the 2nd night (21st) was for the solstice, last night (24th) was Yulablót. This year it runs from Dec. 20 - 31.

Gođr Jól, heill ok sćll, til árs ok friđar!
                          (ON: Good Yule, health and happiness, a prosperous year and peace).
                          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Working...
                          X