• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sociopaths: Can They Be Cured

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Clockwork Orange.
    I'm missing some reference aren't I?

Never mind.
    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Movie where a sociopath is subjected to images an if he reacts positively to violent images,he gets a strong shock to make violence make him very sick as a reaction.

About the Movie.

Guy being subjected to "Therapy"
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        Movie where a sociopath is subjected to images an if he reacts positively to violent images,he gets a strong shock to make violence make him very sick as a reaction.
        They made him nauseous with drugs administered at the beginning of the screening, rather than shocks. The film depicts a real treatment approach that was originally developed to "cure" homosexuality in the 1930s. Nauseating drugs were abandoned and attitudes about less common, benign sexuality changed, but aversion therapy is still sometimes tried to treat criminal sexual behavior. Now they use unpleasant odors, like ammonia in a basic classical conditioning (Pavlov's Dog) paradigm. Results are spotty at best.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Eugene Laughlin View Post
          They made him nauseous with drugs administered at the beginning of the screening, rather than shocks. The film depicts a real treatment approach that was originally developed to "cure" homosexuality in the 1930s. Nauseating drugs were abandoned and attitudes about less common, benign sexuality changed, but aversion therapy is still sometimes tried to treat criminal sexual behavior. Now they use unpleasant odors, like ammonia in a basic classical conditioning (Pavlov's Dog) paradigm. Results are spotty at best.
          Ah, I've never seen that movie before, I've heard references many times but it never really rung a bell until now.

- - - Updated - - -

About the Movie.

Guy being subjected to "Therapy"
          I fail to see how that would make him learn his "lesson" or to think differently. Personality disorders are pretty maladaptive.
          "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
            I fail to see how that would make him learn his "lesson" or to think differently. Personality disorders are pretty maladaptive.
            It's not expected to fix what's wrong with them. It's intended to suppress the behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
              That was pretty much the point.

He was the same person, just unable to act.

(It was a novel before it was a movie. Kubrick is a genius, but not good at following the book. The book fills in all the loose ends in the movie.)
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Generally a sociopath may be that way because of a defective brain(Damaged or non functioning part) Being a physical problem,it may not be possible to alter the behavior.
                They may not have ANY empathy or compassion in any form.

Sauce
                Maybe they're not putting enough effort to alter their behavior. At least they're trying to change their behavior.

Comment

Repairing brain structure is beyound our scientific skill right now...Used to be a "Cure" was turning the person into an almost brain dead creature. Was called a lobotomy,and I think was a standard when they thought no real cure was possible,the surgery was more to stop them from harming others.

Lobotomy
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                    Maybe they're not putting enough effort to alter their behavior. At least they're trying to change their behavior.
                    You do understand that putting effort into trying to change your behavior when it comes from a damages part of the brain, a chemical imbalance, or something of the like, is highly unlikely without medical help. I don't say impossible, but unlikely.

Especially with antisocial personality disorder, where there hasn't been s lot of effective treatment. Your statement makes me think of the people to tell me to "just get over" my clinical depression, or to "pay more attention" to conquer the ADHD (attention focused).
                    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

And I know there's a chance that a brain always repair itself.

Comment

As a person with absolutely no psychological training I feel totally qualified to weigh in on this debate.

Comment

If human body can repaired itself so can a human brain.

Comment

I don't think it's quite that​ simple.

Comment

And I know there's a chance that a brain always repair itself.
                              Please cite your evidence for this claim. Brain damage and injuries very rarely repair. My best friend's father was hit by a truck and developed a closed head injury. It's been nearly ten years, and his brain is not any more healed today than it was the day it left the hospital.
                              Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

If human body can repaired itself so can a human brain.
                                But the human body is extremely limited in its ability to repair itself. It cannot regenerate limbs. It cannot repair severed nerve connections. It cannot regrow sensory hair cells in the ear. Once you injure a growth plate enough, it cannot be healed (and if you are still of an age to be growing, your growth of that limb will be impeded).
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X