Sociopaths: Can They Be Cured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sociopaths: Can They Be Cured

EndlessCraving have requested me to do a debate on Sociopaths. Can they be cured? In my opinion I believe it's a possibly that sociopaths can be cured? It's does sounds like a long shot but I believe that sociopaths can changed their ways. What do you think?

Re: Sociopaths: Can They Be Cured

I meant a one on one debate, but this is fine.
    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

At current, antisocial personality disorder doesn't have a lot of effective treatments. I don't know if it can be cured any more than any other mental illness, but can be handled.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Generally a sociopath may be that way because of a defective brain(Damaged or non functioning part) Being a physical problem,it may not be possible to alter the behavior.
        They may not have ANY empathy or compassion in any form.

Sauce
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          Generally a sociopath may be that way because of a defective brain(Damaged or non functioning part) Being a physical problem,it may not be possible to alter the behavior.
          They may not have ANY empathy or compassion in any form.

Sauce
          Or a traumatic childhood, which could cause enough stress that it damages the part of the brain that interconnects with emotions.
          "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Even if it could be cured, should it be cured? While it is certainly a detriment in modern society, should you really muck around with people's personalities like that, especially if it's a reasonably manageable case?

Beyond that, it's a chemical/wiring whosiwhatsit, involving the most complex part of the human body. We might be able to cure it in a few decades, but certainly not now (and it will likely be a very expensive sort of curing, if/when it does occur).

Comment

An interesting thing I learned being around some people with PTSD,it seems that the damage is not completely mental,but real physical changes are etched into the brain,so it is not just memory of violent action,but physical change of the brain,why it is so hard to treat.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
                Even if it could be cured, should it be cured? While it is certainly a detriment in modern society, should you really muck around with people's personalities like that, especially if it's a reasonably manageable case?

Beyond that, it's a chemical/wiring whosiwhatsit, involving the most complex part of the human body. We might be able to cure it in a few decades, but certainly not now (and it will likely be a very expensive sort of curing, if/when it does occur).
                Some people with ASPD are not too fond of being like that. Usually though, the people with ASPD that are low functioning..and sometimes high-functioning end up in prison.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                An interesting thing I learned being around some people with PTSD,it seems that the damage is not completely mental,but real physical changes are etched into the brain,so it is not just memory of violent action,but physical change of the brain,why it is so hard to treat.
                Yep. I mean, talking to therapists is one thing, but there being a cure? I'm not too sure of. Talking to therapists can help you blend in with society, but even then that'll only be used for some type of gain.

Comment

I dunno. Let's let one go and see what happens.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The psychiatric industry has, with exceedingly rare exception, given up on the idea of cures. The focus these days is on managing symptoms as well as possible. Most psychiatric issues relate to self-identified problems of an individual: a person is having trouble with thoughts, feelings, motivation, etc., and it interferes with their goals and plans, day-to-day function, etc. Such persons are troubled by what's going on with them.

Persons who are classified as having sociopathic personality, and indeed most of what are traditionally classified as "personality disorders," are generally not troubled by their personality traits. It's the people around them who are troubled. That makes even symptomatic management an exceptionally difficult proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                      I dunno. Let's let one go and see what happens.
                      I found that quite cute.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by R. Eugene Laughlin View Post
                      The psychiatric industry has, with exceedingly rare exception, given up on the idea of cures. The focus these days is on managing symptoms as well as possible. Most psychiatric issues relate to self-identified problems of an individual: a person is having trouble with thoughts, feelings, motivation, etc., and it interferes with their goals and plans, day-to-day function, etc. Such persons are troubled by what's going on with them.

Persons who are classified as having sociopathic personality, and indeed most of what are traditionally classified as "personality disorders," are generally not troubled by their personality traits. It's the people around them who are troubled. That makes even symptomatic management an exceptionally difficult proposition.

I have ASPD and I used to be really, really horrible. Not sure what to say but found your post pretty informative.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
                        EndlessCraving have requested me to do a debate on Sociopaths. Can they be cured?
                        I'm not aware of a cure. Possibly they can be managed.
                        Once a man, like the sea I raged;
                        Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
                        And there is in fact more earth than sea.
                        Genesis lyric

Comment

Clockwork Orange.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Generally speaking, I think it CAN be cured. Can it be cured today? I don't know... Perhaps in the future, one day.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

It will be cured when we find a way to increase the size of the hypothalamus and make the "normal" connections to the rest of the brain that are lacking in sociopaths. when we do that we will need to find someone else to sell used cars though.
                              The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                              I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X