Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly are gun rights activist against?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What exactly are gun rights activist against?

In truth people have the privilege of having guns,as with having the privilege of being able to drive. Anything that might pose a danger in the wrong hands needs to be regulated.
    To become a pilot you MUST pass a knowledge of the regulations and laws concerning it. To drive you MUST demonstrate you understand the laws and the traffic regulations and also accept that if you "Break" those laws,you can and will be punished. Guns in many ways perhaps should be regulated even more strictly because of their history of being abused by some people.

Just my take...you may think to yourself "Don't tread on me" or something like that...but we live in a society of law and order.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      Anything that might pose a danger in the wrong hands needs to be regulated.
      Which is everything. Speech, press, assembly, voting, thinking, art... All can be dangerous. Regulation is dangerous too and must be regulated, that's what the constitution and bill of rights ARE.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

One point,people tend to refer to the Constitution at times as a kind of "HOLY" document as people are also prone to point at the BIBLE as such..It was written by humans,and as much as they wanted it to be perfect,truth is it will never be perfect because humans wrote it.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
          You tell yourself that, but plenty of gun-toters I have met and talked with have said this is why they own guns, this is why they should be allowed guns, and that this is why we in the UK are "oppressed" by our government or could be at any moment, except that we aren't.
          I tell myself that? Others disagree with me?

I'm not "them."

What point, if any, are you trying to make here?

I find myself befuddled.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't deny it's difficult, but it's not impossible. Yes, it's very different from the states, where you can sell a gun to your mate with no background checks. And people wonder why guns get into the hands of criminals. Background checks should be required for ALL sales, otherwise you have all rights to own guns stripped and prison time, as far as I'm concerned. If you can't be responsible with weapons, you shouldn't own them.
          Alas! The United States is not a country, per se, any more than the EU is a country... We are functioning under a common constitution, but, in most issues, states are allowed to give MORE freedom than allowed by said constitution, but never less...

Do you want your country's internal affairs dictated by a foreign power? That is how the individual states regard interference by the Feds.

It is not a simple issue.

Nope, not at all...

I do not think people in Europe understand the laws and ways of the US any better than Americans understand the laws and ways of Europe. The difference, it seems to me, is that we care less, and spend less time telling those whom we don't understand what they oughtta be doing.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            I tell myself that? Others disagree with me?

I'm not "them."

What point, if any, are you trying to make here?

I find myself befuddled.
            I misunderstood. When you wrote "Not today." it wasn't clear what you were referring to. I thought you meant that Americans don't think like that today.

I may not be able to predict the future, but you give me no reason to believe the circumstances, which have been around for a very long time, will change. In fact, during the times of duel by guns, parliament was a violent, oppressive usurper and the monarchy was profligate and criminal. We don't carry guns, normally, and we have no death sentence. We are far more peaceful, free, and capable of living fuller lives than back then so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make other than baseless fear-mongering over a vague possibility.
            Last edited by Briton; 11 Dec 2015, 13:57.
            I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
            Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
            But that day you know I left my money
            And I thought of you only
            All that copper glowing fine

Comment

...so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make other than baseless fear-mongering over a vague possibility.
              Oh dear. Let me clarify then.

The future is uncertain. One closes one's eyes to possibilities at a risk. If you want to take that risk, close your eyes, and have at it.

Some people, though, recognize the reality of an uncertain future, and chose to be prepared.

To each his or her own. No skin off my knuckles.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Oh dear. Let me clarify then.

The future is uncertain. One closes one's eyes to possibilities at a risk. If you want to take that risk, close your eyes, and have at it.

Some people, though, recognize the reality of an uncertain future, and chose to be prepared.

To each his or her own. No skin off my knuckles.
                The only correlation is that the less brutal our society is (believing in corporal and capital punishment as a means of civilizing, which it clearly isn't), the safer our society is. We can have guns but we don't need them. If you're postulating something with good reason, spit it out. Otherwise you're just fantasizing.
                I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                But that day you know I left my money
                And I thought of you only
                All that copper glowing fine

Comment

okey dokey

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                    Which is everything. Speech, press, assembly, voting, thinking, art... All can be dangerous. Regulation is dangerous too and must be regulated, that's what the constitution and bill of rights ARE.
                    Really? Trying to recall a time that a group of people were speeched to death (though there were a few sermons in my youth that seemed to be heading that way), or beaten senseless with rolled up newspapers, or their lives snuffed out through irresponsible thinking, or keeled over when they saw a particular piece of art. I mean, really? The battle of IDEAS tends to not be deadly in and of itself, whereas a goober with an AR having a bad day most certainly is. It isn't that ideas are not dangerous, but they are not lethal in and of themselves. If I don't agree with what some one says, I have the option of responding, there can be discourse, life goes on. Where are my rights when goober decides to pick off a few people at our local shopping center just because they are there? And having my own gun means nothing if I get picked off on my way into a store, oblivious that I am in his sights because I remind him of his mother or some other messed up reason. I mean, really? Get a grip, and take your brain out for a bit of air.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Alas! The United States is not a country, per se, any more than the EU is a country... We are functioning under a common constitution, but, in most issues, states are allowed to give MORE freedom than allowed by said constitution, but never less...
                      There are rights deemed constitutional decades ago which some states have regulated/restricted to the point of non-accessibility. I'm not even gonna say it, you know what I mean. That regulation was aimed at a "soft target", using mostly religion as a reason, and it worked. I think that on some level, people realize that if you restrict one right, more can fall.
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                        There are rights deemed constitutional decades ago which some states have regulated/restricted to the point of non-accessibility. I'm not even gonna say it, you know what I mean. That regulation was aimed at a "soft target", using mostly religion as a reason, and it worked. I think that on some level, people realize that if you restrict one right, more can fall.
                        Yes - which is why it was done with "back door" regulations, rather than up front legislation. I don't like slick tricks any more than you do, even when they seem (they don't really, because they leave the real concerns unaddressed - education, bc access, necessary economic programs, etc.) to support a cause I care about.

'nough said.

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
                          It isn't that ideas are not dangerous, but they are not lethal in and of themselves.
                          A loaded gun in and of itself is dangerous, just as much as say improperly stored gasoline or bleach in an unmarked container. It is significantly more dangerous than say a machete or a baseball bat in the hands of a spree killer, I won't argue either of those points and I don't think anyone here is trying to.

I already posted what I strongly believe we need to do to lessen or mitigate the intensity and frequency of spree killings, and why I think what most people call "gun control" is both insufficient to solve the problem and potentially a violation of our rights.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Now I see why gun arguments happen. What happened to my topic question?
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              The short answer to your original question. There's a general paranoia that giving ground anywhere on the gun control issue will encourage more controls and/or outright bans in the long run. IE, people don't trust each other and therefore everyone is screwed. At least that the way I normally see it. My attention span on the issue is finite
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                                ...she said, acting all innocent, pretending she didn't know it would happen...

Comment

Working...
                                X