Family (health) Curses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Family (health) Curses

My family tree is full of some form or another of substance abuse and addictive personalities.

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
      I haven't really found a way to cope with WED, I just get up and move around.
      Have you tried taking magnesium supplement for restless leg syndrome? Hopefully we're talking about the same kind of syndrome: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/...s-syndrome-rls.

Magnesium has worked for me and many others.

As for family health issues that got passed down the line, all the older ladies in my family have a curved upper back. I bought a posture medic to help me to remember to keep my shoulders back and slow the rate of degeneration. It's not really a brace, it only acts as a reminder to keep the correct posture. It's ideal because it requires me to retrain myself and to avoid relying on a brace. Sometimes my back gets so sore it makes my chest hurt. I thought something was wrong with my heart at first, but it was all to do with the back. I now get massages every six weeks at least and follow a core strengthening routine set out by a Physiotherapist. I've been working hard on posture and as a result my headaches have decreased as well. So, I'm doing my best to manage whatever gets chucked at me!

Comment

Shortness, obesity, alcoholism, heart disease, mental illness (especially on my mom's side), cancer, hypoglycemia and diabetes, back problems, and poor eyesight. I don't have all of these (yet), but I have a good handful.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post

As for family health issues that got passed down the line, all the older ladies in my family have a curved upper back. I bought a posture medic to help me to remember to keep my shoulders back and slow the rate of degeneration. It's not really a brace, it only acts as a reminder to keep the correct posture. It's ideal because it requires me to retrain myself and to avoid relying on a brace. Sometimes my back gets so sore it makes my chest hurt. I thought something was wrong with my heart at first, but it was all to do with the back. I now get massages every six weeks at least and follow a core strengthening routine set out by a Physiotherapist. I've been working hard on posture and as a result my headaches have decreased as well. So, I'm doing my best to manage whatever gets chucked at me!
          I want to improve my posture. Does the posture medic work well for you? How much does it cost? I have a "pooch" (belly fat) on an otherwise lean body and I think it is largely due to bad posture.

There is childhood diabetes, mental illness, and personality disorders on my mother's side and mental illness and addiction on my father's. Yay.

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
            Shortness, obesity, alcoholism, heart disease, mental illness (especially on my mom's side), cancer, hypoglycemia and diabetes, back problems, and poor eyesight. I don't have all of these (yet), but I have a good handful.
            I'm adopted and traced my birth family years ago. I could have asked about ( genetic ) family health problems, but I decided I really didn't want to know.
            Once a man, like the sea I raged;
            Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
            And there is in fact more earth than sea.
            Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Thrudr View Post
              What do you mean by you can't exercice enough. You don't have enough time? You say that most of the health problems are caused by your overweight. So it might be a good idea to invest some time in exercicing next to dieting as that really helps you stay healthier. If you find it difficult to find a suitable sport, I know that swimming is best if you have bad joints. Also, just because all your family members are overweigth, doesn't mean you have to be. My friend's family are all overweigth and he refused to go down that road, so he started exercicing and dieting and now he's the athlete of the family.
              I mean the joint weakness makes it hard to exercise, as does the migraines. Not everyone has access to a year-round pool, so not all of us have that option. I know that all the family members being overweight doesn't mean I have to be, it's just a family thing - the only one of us who's managed to not put on weight when the metabolism changes in their mid twenties is my sister, who practically starved herself until it hit. We seriously need the food, with how hot we run, until we suddenly don't.
              Point being, generally it isn't noticed until the weight is there, and then it's harder for my family to get it off than most, because of other health issues. I wasn't saying we don't manage to get healthy again, most of us do ... and then there's the ones that get morbidly obese ...
              And I have it worse than most in my family, because of my epilepsy meds making it hard to not gain weight. seriously, I had my weight under control, then I started having seizures. Fear of having one while out of the house led to me not leaving the house without someone with me, so I had to get my weight under control again, and then I went on meds, which meant I had to do it again, and then my dosage went way up, in one leap, because I had a seizure the day after an appointment with my neurologist ... I ballooned out. I'm still getting my weight back under control after that.

And, no, not saying most problems are caused by being overweight. Just elaborating on how everything feeds into everything else, i.e. the joints and headaches making losing weight hard, the metabolism making gaining weight almost inevitable when it changes, stuff like that.

On the subject of diet, most of the family, including me, tend to eat healthily. Fresh veggies, lean meat, and generally we just play with the proportions until we find one that works for us. I've discovered that four small meals - less than half the size my partner eats - helps me massively. Along with having more red meat, so I don't get anemic, which means I can exercise more.

Seriously, country Australia - if you go to the butchers and the farmer's market, the fruit and veg are fresh, the meat is lean and high quality, and it's cheaper than the supermarket. Between that and grilling meat, to drain off what little fat there is, and steaming veggies ... it tastes better that way. I tried to look at how to make things healthier ... and found that the way I like to cook, is the healthiest way. So ... yeah. If you're already savvy about food, nutritionists are just throwing money at people to tell you which thing to try next, which you already know ... The only professional to actually be of use to me is the physio, to tell me what exercises will help, and which to utterly avoid.

And yeah, I'm taking it slowly, because crash diets never stick. I'm quite happy with the pants size I lost, even though it took me a few months, because I'm losing girth without feeling like I'm starving, which means I'll be able to keep it off.

As Prickly Pear says, preserving your joints is important. One of my aunts managed to get, and then stay, slim by way of diet and extreme exercise, and now she's basically crippled.

And, trying to do any exercise when you're just managing to not throw up when you're staying as still as possible? Migraines suck.even when I'm mobile during one, light hurts and moving too fast makes me throw up ... it's much the same for most of my family.

... read over that. I'm rambling again. I blame the migraine. Boredom leaves me with nothing to focus on but the pain, so light is a necessary evil right now ...waiting for the next dose of painkillers to kick in ...

Comment

Originally posted by thistle View Post
                I want to improve my posture. Does the posture medic work well for you? How much does it cost? I have a "pooch" (belly fat) on an otherwise lean body and I think it is largely due to bad posture.
                Yes, it does work well for me. I wear it 2-3 times a day for 30 min. It cost me around $50AUD. However, it is only to be used as a reminder, not a brace. So, you have to already have the strength there to maintain/achieve the posture you want. I've been working on strengthening my pelvic floor and also getting my middle to upper back in an extended position to counter all the slouching. So the Posture Medic works as part of a strengthening routine, but not on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                  Yes, it does work well for me. I wear it 2-3 times a day for 30 min. It cost me around $50AUD. However, it is only to be used as a reminder, not a brace. So, you have to already have the strength there to maintain/achieve the posture you want. I've been working on strengthening my pelvic floor and also getting my middle to upper back in an extended position to counter all the slouching. So the Posture Medic works as part of a strengthening routine, but not on its own.
                  Cool, thanks. I need to strengthen my core. I'm joining the YMCA for the first time this month. = )

- - - Updated - - -

As soon as I turned 30, I lost my lovely quick metabolism where I could eat whatever I want and not gain weight. sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by thistle View Post

As soon as I turned 30, I lost my lovely quick metabolism where I could eat whatever I want and not gain weight. sigh.
                    Lol I never had that in the first place!! Agreed, it sure is SO much harder to lose weight once you turn 30.

Comment

Working...
                    X