Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Morning and evening rituals

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    whatever you choose to do, don't make it something you have to do, but rather something you'd prefer to do when at all possible. That way you're not inviting unnecessary guilt into your life and acknowledging yourself as a member of a fallible species living in a fallible and unpredictable world.
    You are so very smart madam!!! I couldn't agree with you more.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

^Agreed.
      Btw Jem, what is that 'mother's milk' ritual you mentioned? (Somehow rituals with 'proper' names sound always so intriguing! )
      baah.

Comment

^Agreed.
        Btw Jem, what is that 'mother's milk' ritual you mentioned? (Somehow rituals with 'proper' names sound always so intriguing! )
        It's not as exciting as it sounds I'm afraid. It's just a ritual from a book by Francesca De Grandis. She's a bit of a weird one herself. Sort of like a slightly more modern Starhawk (both trained under Victor Anderson so it's hardly surprising). She's eccentric, historically inaccurate, at times self-gratifying, and yet some of her rituals are tremendously effective for me.

The mothers milk is strange yet very simple. In Francesca's version you use actual milk but I find water makes a better symbol. You say the following while holding a cup of water in both hands (but not following the instructions as you say them.. it's weird, yet feels natural to me when I do it. I've changed the words from the original too, so no copyright violation)..

'What is in the cup?
        In the cup is the mother's milk.
        Drink from the cup, drinking half the milk.
        What is in the milk? In the mother's milk is my soul. Drain the cup, drinking in my soul'.

Then you repeat 'in the cup is the mother's milk' and this time drink half the water. Then you say 'in the mother's milk is my soul' at which point I pause and think about all the qualities I want to enhance in me, then I drain the cup.

It ends with two verses, but I simply end with...

'I will drink from Her daily. While every breath I take is imperfect, every breath I take is both good, and divine.'
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

In the morning (or whenever I get around to it, and not every day, but probably 3-4 times a week) I drink my first cup of tea ceremoniously, meditatively, and with great reverence. In the evening (again, not every day), usually at sunset but sometimes later before bed, I thank the day.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Hail, day!
            Hail, sons of day!
            And night and her daughter now!
            Look on us here
            with loving eyes,
            That waiting we victory win.

Hail to the gods!
            Ye goddesses, hail,
            And all the generous earth!
            Give to us wisdom
            and goodly speech,
            And healing hands, life-long.
            śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
            śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I spend about an hour in meditation each night before sleep, and about a half hour each morning after waking up, 'tho it's not so much ritual as screwing my head on straight.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I try to use things I'm already doing. A shower is a time of cleansing and Cleansing. Sweeping gets rid of dirt literally and metaphorically. Folding clothes is a chance to order thoughts. Brushing teeth is a time to consider the words that we use and the power they have. Cooking, cleaning, gardening, painting, going for a walk, can all be done ritually and with Purpose.
                A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X