Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dating People With Different Beliefs

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

Re: Dating People With Different Beliefs

I've never dated another pagan. Mostly atheists, now that I think of it. I don't really care what someone else's beliefs are, as long as they respect my right to hold and practice my own. I don't think it'd work out for me dating someone who is a hardcore fundamentalist of any religion, for obvious reasons.
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Apr 2012
    Religion
    eclectic Heathen
    Phrase
    Its not about finding the "right path" but more so finding the path that's right for you

Was married to an agnostic......easier than dating a Mormon (never, never again)... but I still kinda felt like it was a slightly patronizing "Okay honey, you do what you want to, and I'm just gunna walk away" when dealing with certain things. Currently dating a pagan-though he worships a different pantheon (he took up with the Greek gods, I mostly have the Norse ones) it makes my life a LOT simpler and less hectic, and its been nice bonding over it. We don't sit back and go "no, my way is right" and we both are of the opinion along the lines of its more a matter of who we bother giving our allegiance to rather than which one actually exists.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress

Sealed
    Aug 2015
    Religion
    Sumerian pagan
    Phrase
    Constants and variables

My fiancé and I were raised Jewish and attended the same synagogue. When I shifted to my Sumarian beliefs he never questioned, patronized or criticized me for it. When he curious he asked questions and I explain. It's never been a problem and he still goes to temple with his family and mine. I'm lucky to have someone whom is incredibly accepting of my beliefs and practices. I still hold on to some of my Jewish practices more out of habit and respect for my Israeli heritage than actual belief.

i have in the past dated people who have been less than tolerant, so it really seems to depend on the person at least in my experiences.

Jun 2013

Yep. I'm a pretty open minded person as far as beliefs go. He told me what I believed in was bad. Anyway, different beliefs or not, if yo love each other I'm sure you WILL find a way to make it work. Or break up.

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Seeking a shamanic ancestor veneration path.

Dating isn't going to be as difficult as marrying/being married to. Thankfully we left our joint religion together after we went out for a meal and had an initially awkward conversation which turned out to be relieving for both.

Since we have agreed to raise our children from a secular perspective, the fact I am pagan and she is atheist is not an issue, particularly as she greatly enjoys going to pagan festivals and is very much looking forward to Beltane. It would be saddening for me to do these things on my own, although I don't feel we have to do everything together (we like being 'on our own, together') I like to share enjoyment and experiences.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Oct 2015
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

As a teenage Christian conscript I dated a teenage witch. Though due to my ties with my father I knew more about her craft than she did. Today, we are friends on FB and she is a devout (at least publicly) Christian and I'm an eclectic pagan witch. Funny how things shake out in time.

My wife's Methodist, but has no issue with my beliefs now that they're out in the open. She realizes no one belief system is the whole story. Our only point of disagreement is monotheism vs polytheist, but even there she admits it's just that she was raised that way. And acknowledges if one is possible, many are possible. It's her choice to stay with what she was taught. I respect her, and she respects me.