Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We have chickens

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...

Re: We have chickens

I had chickens as a kid and really miss having them. Then I ended up rescuing two ducklings... so now we have fresh duck eggs and two of the sweetest, most loving ducks you can imagine.

I don't think we'll do ducks AND chooks until we have a larger property, but I would recommend backyard chooks to anyone. Except if you need to keep your lawn pristine. Ducks don't ruin the lawn badly though, unless you have them on the same patch 24/7.

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    I had chickens as a kid and really miss having them. Then I ended up rescuing two ducklings... so now we have fresh duck eggs and two of the sweetest, most loving ducks you can imagine.

I don't think we'll do ducks AND chooks until we have a larger property, but I would recommend backyard chooks to anyone. Except if you need to keep your lawn pristine. Ducks don't ruin the lawn badly though, unless you have them on the same patch 24/7.
    We live two streets over from the river and had considered ducks but with all the animals on the Island we were afraid they would get killed. The chicks we can put in the coop at night.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    We live two streets over from the river and had considered ducks but with all the animals on the Island we were afraid they would get killed. The chicks we can put in the coop at night.
    We used to coop our ducks, and we cooped geese & peafowl as well. We have to here - to many carnivorous critters.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

May 2012
    Religion
    Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    We used to coop our ducks, and we cooped geese & peafowl as well. We have to here - to many carnivorous critters.
    Would ducks and chickens get along in the same coop?

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Would ducks and chickens get along in the same coop?
    Yes, no problem.

But don't mix geese with smaller birds (you can have one, to act as "mother") because they tend to trample smaller birds with their big flappy feet.

P.S. I prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs

Jul 2014
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan, Kitchen Witch

Yes, no problem.

But don't mix geese with smaller birds (you can have one, to act as "mother") because they tend to trample smaller birds with their big flappy feet.

P.S. I prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs
    Duck eggs are amazing!!! When I was younger we had ducks and chickens together. Dad hatched both chickens and ducks so they grew up as a family.
    "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Jun 2013
    Religion

At the old house we cooped ours at night. At the current house their pen is fox proof and we'll build a fox proof one at the new house. But cooping ducks at night is perfectly fine.

Feb 2007
    Religion
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    At the old house we cooped ours at night. At the current house their pen is fox proof and we'll build a fox proof one at the new house. But cooping ducks at night is perfectly fine.
    Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probobly some predators we haven't met yet.

There's really nothing we can do to keep them completely safe, especially from the weasel-ies, that can get through a tiny hole and reek massive destruction in a single night. You need to know your local predators, and reconcile yourself to the reality that, over time, nature always wins.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probably some predators we haven't met yet.
    This...plus gators
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2013
    Religion

Here we have 'coons, 'possums, bobcats, bear, and a variety of weasel-y animals, ranging from martins to minks, and probobly some predators we haven't met yet.

There's really nothing we can do to keep them completely safe, especially from the weasel-ies, that can get through a tiny hole and reek massive destruction in a single night. You need to know your local predators, and reconcile yourself to the reality that, over time, nature always wins.
    In South Australia we only need to worry about foxes, quolls and birds of prey (who will snatch juvenile chooks and ducks in broad daylight if you don't have a roof or netting over them). But in other parts of Aus they also have pythons that will take adults, tassie devils, dingos and crocs to worry about. Part of why I live down south! I'm glad I don't have to worry about racoons and weasels.